Hello from Western New York!

Lucie

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello! I’m a longtime lurker, finally ready to introduce myself. :greetings10:

I am a 53 PhD Psychologist and DH is a 59 PhD Professor. We have the assets to FIRE, but I love my job and suffer from chronic OMY. After DH suffered a major heart attack in January, we are considering winding down over the next few years. His HA, aka the “widowmaker” was out of the blue, no risk factors other than being a little overweight and sedentary. No problems with cholesterol, BP or family history. I have poor longevitygenes, with mother passing at 53 and father at 65. After DH’s scare, it is evident that the time to FIRE is drawing near.

About me: I have 3 children, the last of which will be graduating from college this December. The oldest received her MBA at age 22 (humble brag) with about 5k of remaining student debt. The other 2 have no loans, unless they attend grad school. We have no debt and own our home, a rental home and a vacation rental in Costa Rica, all free and clear. I come from a blue collar family and have worked since my first paper route at age 10. I bought my first duplex at age 19 and paid for my undergraduate and graduate education by working multiple jobs. I am somewhat financially savvy and we have always lived below our means. I believe we are all set. We have a revocable trust, LTC and Umbrella insurance. DH’s University provides health insurance plans until we each reach age of Medicare. Firecalc and Fidelity RIP both confirm that we could retire now with 3% SWR.We were planning on cutting back to half time in the future, prior to FIRE. DH will continue with his web design consulting. We look forward to escaping the cold winters by snowbirding in our Costa Rican Condo.

Thank you for all the wisdom provided on this forum! It has been extremely helpful and validating!

Pura Vida, Lucie

Hello! I’m a longtime lurker, finally ready to introduce myself. :greetings10:

I am a 53 PhD Psychologist and DH is a 59 PhD Professor... I come from a blue collar family and have worked since my first paper route at age 10. I bought my first duplex at age 19...
Pura Vida, Lucie

Hi, Lucie, the longtime lurker. Nice first post.
A few questions: Did your husband actually receive his PhD. in Professor?
And, did you use all of your paper route money to buy your first duplex at age 19? Reading your post makes me think that maybe it was a mistake for me to spend my paper route money on comic books.

Welcome, Lucie! We look forward to your contributions to the forum!

Welcome to our wonderful forum Lucie. A 3% SWR will work in any retirement calculator.
You have medical covered which is big.
Don't wait too long to FIRE, as you don't want to have the football pulled from your DH again......

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Redduck-as I look back I wish I would have had a little more fun with my paper route money, rather than being a big saver! DH has a PhD in Computers in Education. He began when the field was in its infancy. We still have punch cards laying around from grad school! He currently teaches Web design. Fortunately, his University offers the option to teach part time as a retirement transition.

I look forward to learning more from the collective wisdom of this forum!

Welcome and well done...you check all the boxes to go hit the eject button and retire. You worked to get in the spot in you are in...go enjoy it!

Welcome Lucie! Born and raised in Western NY but moved in the late 70's for my career. People there are great, the best! Thinking of moving back to enjoy our retirement!

Welcome Lucie! Western New York refugee here (left in 1980). With 3% WR, it appears the financial part of the decision is easy.

Back
Top Bottom