Hello new to the site, seeking some advice/opinions.

+1

I had to stop reading the thread at this point.
OP - you are doing fine. You have a plan and will soon be out of debt. You also need to enjoy life, so continue with the vacations and eating.
Continue to avoid buying new BMW's and other lifestyle creep and you will be fine.

I second this. You are fine. The biggest thing to watch out for is lifestyle creep. If you can keep that to a minimum and save/pay off the mortgage once the loans are paid off, you will do great. I'm sure that seems like a long time away but time will fly. Our kids are 23 and 21. It seems like yesterday that they were 3 and 1! Take time to be with the family and go on adventures that everyone will remember.

Make sure you have life insurance and probably disability just in case something happens.

Add another book to your required reading list, “The Little Book of Common Sense Investing” by John Bogle, the founder of Vanguard Investments.

And as others have said stay away from money managers that are AUM based. The power of negative compounding due to fees has a staggering impact on your wealth...

Last edited:
since there are multiple debt obligations ,

how about prioritizing the higher interest ones ( a few extra dollars a month there rather than trying to reduce each more quickly in the same period )

with 4 growing children limiting unusual expenses will probably work better than trimming expenses ( and be nicer for the family relationships ) the last thing you need is an unhappy home . extra stress at home will only burn you out quicker .

but you are thinking of a ( retirement ) plan that is ahead of the game ( compared to some ) watch for the opportunities as they come to you , the clock isn't ticking loudly yet ( try to keep some investing cash handy for those rare bargains , it doesn't have to be much , if it is a big winner )

Freedom is Not Free 750ccAce Nija 9r

First of all, you are young. Get "The Millionaire Next Door" and ignore your professional status. You have an M.D. behind your name and your wife a Phd after her name. Get passed any influence from others with your degrees and intelligence. All sorts will attempt to sway your lifestyle and spending habits. Outsiders look at your titles/profession and think you're "rich." Ignore that.

Best to be unassuming I’d say. Better to actually have money then “look” like you have money :LOL:

Perhaps many in this forum have read this book already - it is on my shelf at home in my “office”
You are a high income earner and if you don’t live near Me - San Francisco Bay / San Jose so called Silicon Valley - I’d say 20-25yrs is a good time frame for FI

- I load my bikes up on my F150 no wrench 4Me :cool:

This is a great forum I have been mostly reading for years just ER at 51 one year ago but I did 30yrs in a defined pension plan supplemented by Max deferred.
DW still works (RN) but will just go on 5yrs to 55.

I like your plan, live life while you aggressively pay off the debt then increase the savings. The advice to stay away from fees is really beneficial - Vanguard way of low cost mutual funds even the guru Buffett mentions. More than anything else that has been opinionated Stick to the Script! Many of us can remember 36 as if it were yesterday- compound start is a little late but better late than never...have FUN!

Oh, as I also get thanked for my service having donned a police uniform 30yrs - honorable for you to put your life on the line for several tours - I salute you!

First thing I would say is to get a plan. Any plan. And then you can track to it and adjust after a couple of years.
Let us say your plan is to retire at 65 with your house paid off and your debts paid. Between social security and your pensions seems like that should be doable. I don't know where you are planning to travel but 190K/year seems like you can travel anywhere around the world and even if you spend time in expensive places that should be offset by time spent in less expensive places.
I would cut defined benefits by 25% however just because the Social Security trust fund is set to be exhausted and many other defined benefit plans are on an unsustainable path so 25% reduction seems a reasonable amount in 30 years either through actual benefits cuts or through inflation or a combination. Then after this I would add another plan to early retire by 55 or 60. This means you have to have your debts paid off by then AND have income to sustain until the full retirement kicks off. I don't see any college expenses here so I assume the kids will have to fund their education which in my book is a good thing.

I second samcat's note. Get life insurance and disability for both you and DW today (if you don't have it already). 20 year Term, not whole, life. You probably need $2M on each of you.
Also, life has a way of changing when you least expect it. What is your plan if the state changes the benefits and children no longer get free tuition? What if DW does not get tenure? What if a child gets into MIT, Stanford, Duke, Vanderbilt? What if they desire med/law school? What if medicine in this country changes and you see a 50% reduction in pay? What if parents/family/friends need help? What if....?
Easy to write these and others off and say it won't/can't happen. But you need to review many scenarios and think about the actions you would take. I have found that savings, investments, and insurance are the best hedge for these.
You are doing great. Keep up the good work.

My wife and I have taken the time to sit down, work on a budget, and we're going to add an additional $15k/year to savings, maybe more, depending on how it goes, starting next January. Right now any extra money is tied up doing some major home renovations (which we did in lieu of buying a larger, more expensive house), and then I take a major pay cut while deployed, then back on track. We both agreed that we would like to retire early if possible, but we're not willing to live on a bare bones budget to do so. So we're taking the middle ground on this.

I also made a spreadsheet with all of our defined benefit plans and investment projections, based on a lot of different variables, and we've concluded that the latest that we'd retire is when I'm 63 and she's 65, though 60 and 62 is more likely. This is with retirement income projections of about 250% of our current spending (inflation-adjusted). Our goal is to be able to retire with more (usable) income than we had while working (since we'll now have a lot more time to spend it!). But in all actuality, we may decide that we need much less than our current projections. And if that's the case, we'll stop working all that much earlier. But currently our "goal" is to retire with 250% of our current spending level at age 60 and 62.

We also calculate in SS, but don't necessarily plan on it even being there (thanks politicians). Maybe cutting it back by 25% is a better way to plan that in.

We currently have life insurance 20 year term, me $2.8 mil and her $1 mil. I also have disability insurance.

We don't have plans on if pay is reduced or college is no longer paid for, besides continuing to tuck away money. Hopefully that won't happen! We try to plan for everything, but it's impossible to actually do, and I won't make myself crazy planning for every eventuality.

Thank you everyone for all the great advice that you have given me so far! Even if I haven't done everything that has been suggested, it's all really great advice and I do really appreciate it.

That sounds like a good plan. IMO, the bigger risk in your financial life is if your wife does not receive tenure. That could easily trigger the necessity of a move as well as upending the college cost factors. You might consider also increasing her life insurance to better cover the cost of college for four kids in the event of her death unless your plan assumes that her life insurance would be heavily used for college costs. Public colleges in Pennsylvania are not cheap.

Update after almost two years:

We've been continuing to plug away at savings, and although we still have a lot of debt, our net worth has moved into the positive.

We had some bumps along the way. We had some investments that really tanked and still haven't recovered sufficiently during Covid, which hurt progress on our brokerage account, but we are diversified enough that it didn't drag us down too much. I was deployed overseas with the army and took a 60% pay cut during the deployment, which definitely hurt tucking away at savings, and I had to temporarily stop paying toward student loans. Unfortunately, the interest that built up completely wiped away any progress I had made over the last 1+ year. The company I worked for also changed ownership, and they now don't match the 401K at all.

(I adjusted some of the numbers from my OP, as I had some overly optimistic estimates. These are accurate numbers)

From 4/2019:
Assets:
My current 401k: $10,000
My old 403B from residency: $25,000
Our brokerage account: $50,000
Her current 403B: $10,000
Her old 401K: $70,000
Her mutual fund: $60,000
Home value: $300,000
Total assets: $525,000

Liabilities:
My student loans: -$440,000
Her student loans: -$70,000
Mortgage: -$220,000
Total liabilities -$730,000

Total Net Worth -$205,000

Today:
From 4/2019:
Assets:
My current 401k: $88,000
Her current 403B: $139,000
Our brokerage accounts: $153,500
My Roth: $23,500
Her Roth: $15,000
Home value: $380,000
Hard assets: $30,000
Total assets: $830,000

Liabilities:
My student loans: -$400,000
Her student loans: -$80,000
Mortgage: -$195,000
Total liabilities -$675,000

Total Net Worth $155,000

Net worth increase from 4/2019: +$360,000

We've still got a long way to go, but we're going to start transitioning toward more aggressively plugging away at school debts, and less aggressively saving (still maxing out our 401Ks and IRAs though). I'm also looking into new employment, as having no match is a deal breaker in my book. They also sprung this on us mid-December, and annual 401K contribution payouts were in January. If I really fought, I may be able to argue that I am obligated to receive the matching until the end of November when the new ownership was finalized, but it wouldn't matter, as that amount wouldn't be vested anyhow.

My wife just successfully defended her PhD dissertation last week and goes up for tenure next month, so she'll have a significant pay raise coming up. The job I'm currently applying for also has a significant pay raise. This is all going to go toward student loans with no increase in our standard of living.

We're hoping to have our student loans paid off in 6 years (assuming additional loan repayment by both of our employers), and we're on track to pay off our mortgage in 10 if we don't increase payments after paying off student loans.

This whole get rich slowly thing sure isn't glamorous or fun... But it appears to be working!

Last edited:

We've been continuing to plug away at savings, and although we still have a lot of debt, our net worth has moved into the positive.

We had some bumps along the way. We had some investments that really tanked and still haven't recovered sufficiently during Covid, which hurt progress on our brokerage account.....

This whole get rich slowly thing sure isn't glamorous or fun... But it appears to be working!

1 suggestion and 2 comments:
If you're working on reducing debt and increasing net worth, avoid "investments." As you experienced, investments can go south, and that is not money you want to lose right now.
Yes, getting rich slowly is not sexy, but that consistent approach works like a charm Congrats on your progress to date.

Slow and Steady wins the race!
Congrats to your wife for her PhD and upcoming tenure.
Good luck on your new job.
Keep up the good work, you will get there over time.
Remember to enjoy the small victories and time with family along the way.

Thanks for the update. You are doing good in the last year. It may seem like swimming upstream at times, and last year certainly threw in some unusual actions.

Great news that your wife is done with school and will soon be able to get the new job with better pay. It sucks your current employer kind of pulled the rug out form under the employees like yourself, but you recognize what you need to do, so good job on finding a better employer and better pay/benefits.

Slow and steady does win the race, just keep the long term focus and the goal will be met. I agree that paying aggressively on the student loan debt is a good thing to do; while ensuring you get the maximum company match on any 401k/403b accounts. While I don't agree with it, it seems that the current gov't is leaning to do some kind of effort for student loan debt where you may get some benefit. Wait and see what comes out, as there appears to be no end to the gov't spending lately.

1 suggestion and 2 comments:
If you're working on reducing debt and increasing net worth, avoid "investments." As you experienced, investments can go south, and that is not money you want to lose right now.
Yes, getting rich slowly is not sexy, but that consistent approach works like a charm Congrats on your progress to date.

The investments weren't speculative or anything, they were stocks in companies heavily affected by Covid. I just had no way of predicting that. But, I do stay away from crazy "investments."

Slow and Steady wins the race!
Congrats to your wife for her PhD and upcoming tenure.
Good luck on your new job.
Keep up the good work, you will get there over time.
Remember to enjoy the small victories and time with family along the way.

Thank you. She is so happy to have that off of her plate. Between finishing her PhD, teaching from home full time, and taking care of our kids full time while I'm working, she needed something off of her plate.

Thanks for the update. You are doing good in the last year. It may seem like swimming upstream at times, and last year certainly threw in some unusual actions.

Great news that your wife is done with school and will soon be able to get the new job with better pay. It sucks your current employer kind of pulled the rug out form under the employees like yourself, but you recognize what you need to do, so good job on finding a better employer and better pay/benefits.

Slow and steady does win the race, just keep the long term focus and the goal will be met. I agree that paying aggressively on the student loan debt is a good thing to do; while ensuring you get the maximum company match on any 401k/403b accounts. While I don't agree with it, it seems that the current gov't is leaning to do some kind of effort for student loan debt where you may get some benefit. Wait and see what comes out, as there appears to be no end to the gov't spending lately.

I'm really hoping the government doesn't forgive loans. Sure, it may help me (but probably won't because I seem to fall between pretty much all proposed plans), but it's a debt I agreed to, signed up for, and am benefiting from the tuition it paid for. And it's a real kick in the balls for people who busted their asses paying off their loans, only to see others get theirs forgiven. Shameful. /off podium now.

Welcome!!

You’ve received good advice already. I’ll try to add a little.

Definitely agree with the emphasis on paying off debt and maximizing contributions to tax deferred investments.

Don’t think you provided any specifics re investment choices, asset allocation, etc. I’ll just put in a vote for low-cost index funds, and possibly a target date fund of funds. Given your age I’d recommend 0 to 20% bonds. I went with 100% total stock index for the bulk of my career and it worked out quite well for me, but I should acknowledge that’s a controversial move and there are very good arguments opposing this!

Good luck to you!!

DD

First, thank you for your service.

Second, I would suggest not cutting family vacations. Your kids will not always be this age and those times are like gold in my opinion. If you can find ways to do it more cost effectively, that might be a good goal. The time together is more important than the destination.

At your stage we considered eating out during the week to be low value so we prioritized meals at home. Good way to save if you can make simple meals in advance.

I think doing some budgeting is a good plan. Quicken is a great tool but you can also do a lot of interim analysis using tools on your credit card or bank websites.

When I was a tax guy I noticed doctors seemed to always be investing in dubious private investment schemes sold by advisors. I hope you are avoiding those. On the other hand steady investing in equities or in leveraged real estate (after doing your homework) could help make up ground.

You seem to have a good income growth path with your careers. Congrats on the hard work to get there.

Welcome!!

You’ve received good advice already. I’ll try to add a little.

Definitely agree with the emphasis on paying off debt and maximizing contributions to tax deferred investments.

Don’t think you provided any specifics re investment choices, asset allocation, etc. I’ll just put in a vote for low-cost index funds, and possibly a target date fund of funds. Given your age I’d recommend 0 to 20% bonds. I went with 100% total stock index for the bulk of my career and it worked out quite well for me, but I should acknowledge that’s a controversial move and there are very good arguments opposing this!

Good luck to you!!

DD

We're 100% stocks right now, most of it being ETFs, with only about 15% in individual stocks. I will be working toward reallocating to about 50/50 over the next few months. I know timing the market is a bad thing... But I can't convince myself we're not in a bubble, and I want to limit exposure while still keeping skin in the game in case I'm wrong.

First, thank you for your service.

Second, I would suggest not cutting family vacations. Your kids will not always be this age and those times are like gold in my opinion. If you can find ways to do it more cost effectively, that might be a good goal. The time together is more important than the destination.

At your stage we considered eating out during the week to be low value so we prioritized meals at home. Good way to save if you can make simple meals in advance.

I think doing some budgeting is a good plan. Quicken is a great tool but you can also do a lot of interim analysis using tools on your credit card or bank websites.

When I was a tax guy I noticed doctors seemed to always be investing in dubious private investment schemes sold by advisors. I hope you are avoiding those. On the other hand steady investing in equities or in leveraged real estate (after doing your homework) could help make up ground.

You seem to have a good income growth path with your careers. Congrats on the hard work to get there.

Family vacations were one thing we agreed not to cut out, and for the reasons you mentioned. We have fun, but we don't splurge when we vacation. A good portion of our vacations are in our RV (tow behind trailer), which end up being very budget-friendly by staying in state/national forests or boondocking, which we enjoy more than expensive RV parks and they save us money. We do try to make it overseas once a year, which costs money, but we all fly coach and stay at AirBnBs or budget hotels. To us, cutting this out wouldn't be worth the saved money.

Covid has changed our lifestyle in many ways, including eating out. We still order take-out occasionally, but haven't sat down in a restaurant in almost a year. It has really saved us a lot of money. I think we won't get back to our pre-Covid restaurant dining while we're still working and saving.

We don't plan to do any shady investments recommended by others. We are sticking with equities, and have been toying around with opening up a self-storage place... Though I don't know if I want the headache of owning my own business. I prefer the idea of investing my money in equities and letting it work for me.

>>We're 100% stocks right now, most of it being ETFs, with only about 15% in individual stocks. I will be working toward reallocating to about 50/50 over the next few months. I know timing the market is a bad thing... But I can't convince myself we're not in a bubble, and I want to limit exposure while still keeping skin in the game in case I'm wrong.<<

What does your Investment Policy Statement say about market timing and asset allocation? I respect differing opinions but I think changing to 50/50 allocation is a big mistake. Most of us would agree that valuations are high these days but market timing isn't a winning strategy for long term investing. If you said you wanted to change from 100/0 to 90/10 or 80/20 I wouldn't blink. But going from 100/0 to 50/50 strikes me as a whopping change. I respectfully encourage you to be The Big Steady Ship (not a speedboat) and Stay the Course.

DD

What does your Investment Policy Statement say about market timing and asset allocation? I respect differing opinions but I think changing to 50/50 allocation is a big mistake. Most of us would agree that valuations are high these days but market timing isn't a winning strategy for long term investing. If you said you wanted to change from 100/0 to 90/10 or 80/20 I wouldn't blink. But going from 100/0 to 50/50 strikes me as a whopping change. I respectfully encourage you to be The Big Steady Ship (not a speedboat) and Stay the Course. DD

Agree with DangerDad on this. Furthermore, if you were only a few years away from retirement, such a marked conservative change in your asset allocation would be understandable. But you’re at least 20 years away by your own estimate. That’s plenty of time to withstand the volatility of an 80-100% allocation to equities.

I'm really hoping the government doesn't forgive loans. Sure, it may help me (but probably won't because I seem to fall between pretty much all proposed plans), but it's a debt I agreed to, signed up for, and am benefiting from the tuition it paid for. And it's a real kick in the balls for people who busted their asses paying off their loans, only to see others get theirs forgiven. Shameful. /off podium now.

+1 Amen to that. We paid three kids' college, first to bachelor's degree, then to master's degree for two of them, then to music performance degree for one of them. And left them debt free and us debt free. No way do I want to now pay for a new generation of college students who have their college loans just cancelled.

We had some bumps along the way. We had some investments that really tanked and still haven't recovered sufficiently during Covid, which hurt progress on our brokerage account, but we are diversified enough that it didn't drag us down too much. I was deployed overseas with the army and took a 60% pay cut during the deployment, which definitely hurt tucking away at savings, and I had to temporarily stop paying toward student loans. Unfortunately, the interest that built up completely wiped away any progress I had made over the last 1+ year. The company I worked for also changed ownership, and they now don't match the 401K at all.

(I adjusted some of the numbers from my OP, as I had some overly optimistic estimates. These are accurate numbers)

From 4/2019:
Assets:
Her mutual fund: $60,000
Total assets: $525,000

Liabilities:
Her student loans: -$70,000
Mortgage: -$220,000
Total liabilities -$730,000

Total Net Worth -$205,000

Today:
From 4/2019:
Assets:
My current 401k: $88,000
Her current 403B: $139,000
Our brokerage accounts: $153,500
My Roth: $23,500
Her Roth: $15,000
Home value: $380,000
Hard assets: $30,000
Total assets: $830,000

Liabilities:
My student loans: -$400,000
Her student loans: -$80,000
Mortgage: -$195,000
Total liabilities -$675,000

Total Net Worth $155,000

Net worth increase from 4/2019: +$360,000

We've still got a long way to go, but we're going to start transitioning toward more aggressively plugging away at school debts, and less aggressively saving (still maxing out our 401Ks and IRAs though). I'm also looking into new employment, as having no match is a deal breaker in my book. They also sprung this on us mid-December, and annual 401K contribution payouts were in January. If I really fought, I may be able to argue that I am obligated to receive the matching until the end of November when the new ownership was finalized, but it wouldn't matter, as that amount wouldn't be vested anyhow.

My wife just successfully defended her PhD dissertation last week and goes up for tenure next month, so she'll have a significant pay raise coming up. The job I'm currently applying for also has a significant pay raise. This is all going to go toward student loans with no increase in our standard of living.

We're hoping to have our student loans paid off in 6 years (assuming additional loan repayment by both of our employers), and we're on track to pay off our mortgage in 10 if we don't increase payments after paying off student loans.

Congrats on your progress! Particularly admirable and impressive considering the haircut in pay while you were serving your country.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of the 401k match. This may not lead to anything or may be something you already checked into, but does your employer's 401k plan allow the megabackdoor Roth (aftertax contributions and inservice distributions or rollovers)?

>>We're 100% stocks right now, most of it being ETFs, with only about 15% in individual stocks. I will be working toward reallocating to about 50/50 over the next few months. I know timing the market is a bad thing... But I can't convince myself we're not in a bubble, and I want to limit exposure while still keeping skin in the game in case I'm wrong.<<

What does your Investment Policy Statement say about market timing and asset allocation? I respect differing opinions but I think changing to 50/50 allocation is a big mistake. Most of us would agree that valuations are high these days but market timing isn't a winning strategy for long term investing. If you said you wanted to change from 100/0 to 90/10 or 80/20 I wouldn't blink. But going from 100/0 to 50/50 strikes me as a whopping change. I respectfully encourage you to be The Big Steady Ship (not a speedboat) and Stay the Course.

DD

Agree with DangerDad on this. Furthermore, if you were only a few years away from retirement, such a marked conservative change in your asset allocation would be understandable. But you’re at least 20 years away by your own estimate. That’s plenty of time to withstand the volatility of an 80-100% allocation to equities.

Thanks for the recommendations. I will definitely think about this. I do know that weathering the storm is a winning long term strategy. I really do. It's just that I know these crazy valuations can't last, and the market just isn't behaving rationally, and I'd like to be able to buy during the next inevitable dip. But I also know that market timing is rarely done correctly. So, what I'm trying to say is that I'm still contemplating my plan over the upcoming months.

+1 Amen to that. We paid three kids' college, first to bachelor's degree, then to master's degree for two of them, then to music performance degree for one of them. And left them debt free and us debt free. No way do I want to now pay for a new generation of college students who have their college loans just cancelled.

Yep. I love how nobody is screaming to have car loans or mortgages canceled, yet they were binding contracts where money was lent, just like student loans.

Congrats on your progress! Particularly admirable and impressive considering the haircut in pay while you were serving your country.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of the 401k match. This may not lead to anything or may be something you already checked into, but does your employer's 401k plan allow the megabackdoor Roth (aftertax contributions and inservice distributions or rollovers)?

I already max out my annual after tax contribution to an IRA for both my wife and I, and then we do a Roth conversion. Unfortunately our limits are only $6k each. I'm not familiar with this megabackdoor Roth/401K that you mention. Could you point me in the direction to learning more about it?

Yep. I love how nobody is screaming to have car loans or mortgages canceled, yet they were binding contracts where money was lent, just like student loans.

I already max out my annual after tax contribution to an IRA for both my wife and I, and then we do a Roth conversion. Unfortunately our limits are only $6k each. I'm not familiar with this megabackdoor Roth/401K that you mention. Could you point me in the direction to learning more about it?

Here is a decent article about it:

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/the-mega-backdoor-roth-ira/

I would advise asking human resources at your employer whether their 401k plan allows after tax contributions and in service distributions or Roth rollovers. If it does, I think it is a no-brainer to make megabackdoor Roth contributions up to the 58k 401k plan limits, so that would be $38,500 over your maximum employee deferral amount of $19,500. The net effect of this is that you would end up with the $38,500 in a Roth account rather than a regular taxable brokerage account. you would pay no more tax than if you did not make this MBR contribution. I would prioritize making this contribution even over making principal loan payments.

Hello all. I'm hoping to get some advice on how I'm doing with my retirement planning and what I could do differently/additionally. This will be long-winded, so bear with me.

I’m a family practice physician in the USA. I'm married, 36 years old, and just finished residency and started practicing late last year. My wife is 38 and is a college professor at a state university. She's on a tenure track, but still pretty low on the pay scale, with significant pay increases to come as she gets tenure and gets promotions. We have four kids that range from newborn to 16 years old.

Annual Income:
Me:
Salary $240,000
National Guard drill pay $15,000
Loan repayment (Guard and employer) paid directly to student loans: $75,000
Wife:
Salary: $75,000
Total annual gross earnings (excluding loan repayment paid directly to loans) $330,000

Assets:
Her mutual fund: $100,000
Total assets: $565,000

Liabilities (the worst part of our financial picture):
Her student loans: -$50,000
Mortgage: -$200,000
Total liabilities -$690,000

Total Net Worth -$125,000

Retirement annual contributions:
My 401K $28,500 (including employer matching)
Brokerage account: $12,000
Her 403B: $19,000
Total annual contributions: $59,500

Defined benefit pension estimates:
Social security (both of us, rough estimates): $65,000
Army National Guard pension: $35,000
Her College pension: $90,000
Total pension: $190,000 in today’s dollars

Our biggest downfall right now is our negative net worth in our mid to late 30s and our late start to aggressively saving. Unfortunately that’s a biproduct of large educational expenses and many years of low earnings prior to getting our professional degrees. We’re pretty aggressively paying these loans down, with help from student loan repayment programs through the army and my job, we’re on track to have these paid off in just under 6 years, and hope to have a positive net worth in about a year from now. We’re paying out-of-pocket about $25,000 after taxes per year toward student loans. Once they’re paid off, we’ll add about half of that to retirement savings and the other half toward paying off our mortgage, which currently has 25 years to go (and we're planning to move once student loans are paid off, so the additional will go to that mortgage).

After figuring in student loan repayments (and the large tax bill that comes from the $75k annually paid to the student loans) and retirement savings, we realistically live off of about $120k net income annually, which is very comfortable for us. With four kids and us both working full time, child care costs are quite high for us. We could definitely decrease discretionary spending, but I don't know that either of us really want to. We both spent a lot of time living lean, and know how to, and not having to do that is really nice right now. We're also not living above our means by any extent.

I know that most experts recommend planning to live off of roughly 80% of pre-retirement income. However, we have grand plans of traveling the world throughout our retirement and would like to retire with more income than we have pre-retirement. How much more? We don’t know. That figure has been tough to nail down for us. And I know that really determines everything...

Assuming we continue our course, I’m very confident that we’ll enjoy a great retirement financially. However, all of the defined benefit estimates are based on retiring at age 67. In fact, I’ve never really considered that retiring earlier than normal retirement age would be a possibility. However, we’ve been recently discussing the idea of retiring earlier, in our mid to late 50s. If I lower that to 55, we’re looking at only 2/3 of our expected defined benefit pensions, and that’s if we wait to take them until normal retirement age. If we take them early, our expected defined benefits would be even less, maybe even half. And we’d have to fill that gap between retiring and collecting benefits 100% with savings, and those savings would obviously be much smaller with a decade less of compounded interest and contributions.

Unless we want to significantly change our financial retirement goals, I don’t know that early retirement is in the cards more than a couple of years. I guess we have to determine what’s more important to us: retirement income or good years in retirement…

I’m just hoping to get some feedback, advice, etc. from the group here. I’m planning to set up a meeting with a financial planner so that I can go over things in more detail and get a better idea of where we stand and what our options are. But in the meantime, I know there is a ton of great experience here in this forum, that I’d love to tap into.

If you stuck around and kept reading until the end, thanks and cheers!

You may want to take a course from white coat investor.

Here is a decent article about it:

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/the-mega-backdoor-roth-ira/

I would advise asking human resources at your employer whether their 401k plan allows after tax contributions and in service distributions or Roth rollovers. If it does, I think it is a no-brainer to make megabackdoor Roth contributions up to the 58k 401k plan limits, so that would be $38,500 over your maximum employee deferral amount of $19,500. The net effect of this is that you would end up with the $38,500 in a Roth account rather than a regular taxable brokerage account. you would pay no more tax than if you did not make this MBR contribution. I would prioritize making this contribution even over making principal loan payments.

Thank you! I'll look into this.

Back
Top Bottom