Hello world!

Thanks, those are interesting numbers 10M, 3% withdrawal rate. Why 3%, where is that coming from? Is there some research somewhere showing this?

If I do 3% of 10M = 300k per year. -> 33 years to spend 10M.
Retiring at say 45 -> out of $ at 78.

This number assumes you don't make any return on $ or don't have any other $ coming in? I see this realistic if one becomes a vegetable but not really otherwise.

As far as expense go we love to eat, travel and I love my boat so things add up.

Next time you are on your boat or out eating, take along this as reading material and you'll learn all you need:

"How to Make Your Money Last: The Indispensable Retirement Guide"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P434BTE/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o03_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Trolling.jpg

Yep , I'm wondering how so many got hooked.

Thanks, those are interesting numbers 10M, 3% withdrawal rate. Why 3%, where is that coming from? Is there some research somewhere showing this?

If I do 3% of 10M = 300k per year. -> 33 years to spend 10M.
Retiring at say 45 -> out of $ at 78.

This number assumes you don't make any return on $ or don't have any other $ coming in? I see this realistic if one becomes a vegetable but not really otherwise.
A 4% WR is a long standing recommendation for a high probability of success, 20-30 year retirement, assuming historical rates of return, which includes 10-11% per year from equities over the last several decades. You are looking at perhaps 40 years, have not considered inflation (which even when low adds up over time), and with equity valuations high and productivity growth low, historical returns should not be presumed. Thus 3% WR.

Thank you super useful.

Hi and welcome. Well, you may be where I am in 4 years as I am 46 DW 36 and three kids 8, 6, 5. We just hit $10mm net worth with $1.8mm in real estate, $1.35 set aside for kids college.

I ran the firecalc recently on a $6.7mm portfolio spending 240k per year which includes taxes (our portfolio outside college actually $7.35mm but I assume I pay off all debt which entail only our $600k mortgage/HELOC) and leave $50k cash in the bank)

I have to say, I feel like the "safe" withdrawal rate for us is 3.5% but with two caveats- we reduce spending by 10% when we sell the big house when the last goes off to college and we have 81% invested in very diversified equities.

Maybe in 4 years things will look similar to us - the firecalc at 99.1% makes me feel very comfortable as we would likely cut our vaca budget or country club which totals $40k a year somewhat if we entered a depression.

I also worry about leaving too much to the kids but you can also give to charity as our average end net worth is close to $26mm at 87 using 3.5% withdrawal. Hope this helps!

Thanks, did some reading on the topic. Didn't know about the 4% rule.

A 4% WR is a long standing recommendation for a high probability of success, 20-30 year retirement, assuming historical rates of return, which includes 10-11% per year from equities over the last several decades. You are looking at perhaps 40 years, have not considered inflation (which even when low adds up over time), and with equity valuations high and productivity growth low, historical returns should not be presumed. Thus 3% WR.

Back
Top Bottom