Hi, I am....

Autocrosser

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi, I'm a retired Air Force guy, 26 years of service. A year after retirement I got a job as a civilian Federal Service Employee rebuilding jet engines here in Germany. During my entire career, I was stationed here in Germany, yep....all 26 years. In 1984 I married a local German gal that I thought at age 20 was the greatest thing ever. Now at 48, not so much anymore. After many years of fighting her Alcoholism, I gave up trying, totally drained of all energy. I sought and obtained a divorce through the German court system. Came out of it 100K Euro poorer and heavy in debt as I tried to keep the house that I built. I'm doing ok however in spite of it all and managed to payoff the majority of debt.

My "ex" said from the start of our 24 year marriage that she will never live in the states, she doesn't particularly like Americans. This is why I spent my whole career within 10 miles of her birth place as to sooth over potential hardships. During our marriage she lost her drivers license with a 3.45 alcohol content twice! Yes, that is correct, 3.45%

My problem with this "ex" is that she won't let go and has now filed for half my retirement in Washington which was my home of record during my military career. She is not a US citizen and she never lived in the states, not even a green card. However, the state of Washington is going to order half my US Military retirement to be given to a foreign national. The Former Spouse Protection Act gives her the rights but also requires that she pay taxes on this income. How is that going to work? Additionally, she has a live in boyfriend/new partner (also German) who will be living on the burdens of the US tax payer! Where is the justice in this?

Anybody out there have experience/knowledge on potential tactics that I can utilize to reduce the amout she will get?

Sorry to seem like ranting but I'm still in shock that our Government will be paying my hard earned retirement to someone who is anti-American by nature. I guess I'm being punished for trying to make a bad marriage work.:facepalm:

You've bee married 28 years and you don't think she has a right to part of your pension? :facepalm: I think your thinking is a little off. Believe me, I feel for ya. I've been divorced myself and still :mad: my wife for what she did. But, it sounds like you should have nipped your alcoholic wife in the bud a long time ago. Sounds like you're screwed pension wise.

Look on the bright side, you're still young and you can enjoy the rest of your life without the parasite. Get your mind and body straight. Start working on building that nest egg back up. And enjoy the hell out of the rest of your life. Don't give her a second thought!

Gotcha, I did make mistakes in life...ok...keep going. I just have a problem with the fairness issue. The German government has laws protecting her pension which will not allow me the same rights. Pensions can only be divided between two German citizens, therefore I don't have any rights. Her Pension will be equal to mine if not better in about 12 years when she starts to receive it. Half of mine and all of hers, great deal for her.

I was hoping more for help in potential tactics to take the amount down to a fair basis. Maybe someone else out there has experience in this, maybe not. Thanks for the criticism however.

I am sympathetic having been through the pension tug of war myself. I can especially understand your sense of unfairness in the treatment of the two pensions.

I'd seek out an attorney with experience in this specialized area. Maybe there is a way to give consideration for the unequal treatment of the two pensions.

Your only hope may be that she marries the live in bf. In many cases that would eliminate the pension obligation.

Back
Top Bottom