Hoping to retire at 55

RetiringAt55

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello everyone. My DH and I have been getting serious about retirement planning lately and I was hoping to get your perspective on our situation.

Here are some of our stats:

DH age 57, me age 48, both computer programmers and frugal.

Hope to retire in seven years when I am 55 in 2019 with retirement medical benefits from my employer. Plan has dental, prescription, and supplement to Medicare after age 65. I would want to retire earlier if not for these retiree medical benefits.

2 teenagers, college savings put aside already and not included in savings numbers below. Both kids will be in college when I plan to retire. We also have three adult children that are doing well and live on their own.

We both have been semi-retired for years. I have been part time since my two children were born. DH has been part time running his own company since taking the retirement plan from his old employer during the telecomm blow up. We work four days a week and have our wonderful Fridays together.

DH, pension $56K/yr, non-COLA. No survivor benefit for me.

Retirement savings: Currently $850K, estimated $1.8M when I am 55

Plan to sell current home right before retirement and move to smaller home that we can buy outright. Property taxes are outrageous here so this is the only way to get expenses down. We don't need this huge house after the kids are off to college anyway and we want to move closer to DH's family.

Bad news is that DH has a life threatening illness. We do not know if he has 2 years or 20 years to live. The reality is that I will probably be widowed for a very long time. For me, I am more scared of running out of time with DH than with running out of money. I want to enjoy those happy years together before my lonely years as a widow begin.

DH has a $700K insurance policy that we plan to keep at least until I am 60. If DH survives that long, we can gradually decrease the policy amount depending on his health and the state of medical progress on his disease. It sounds harsh but with DH's illness, we probably won the insurance gamble and it would be stupid to cancel it unless it becomes cost prohibitive. The premiums greatly add to our expenses but are pretty important with our situation. In addition, expenses go down after DH passes, due to his high medical, insurance, and other costs. If I were to pass away, DH would receive a $400K policy on me.

If DH passes away before retirement, I could switch to full time to save more if needed and delay retirement. I also have the possibility of working very part time after retirement if I want to, to keep my foot in the door and my skills up.

We have been doing detailed expense tracking with Quicken for the last year. Using these numbers our estimated expenses after retirement and downsizing homes is $100K/year, including property and income taxes and including allowances for increased medical costs and some other factors. If it is just me, my expenses would be $70K.

After retirement, we plan to travel a little more and do more camping and have included that in our budget. I am looking forward to having the time to do more of those simple things like reading, playing games, and doing our other hobbies.

DH has suggested that we might downsize and buy a fixer upper at retirement and spend time fixing it up since we are both skilled at home repair. I wonder if this is realistic because because of H's age and illness. I don't know if we would have the physical ability to continue to do these projects at that time.

We created several detailed spreadsheets. Assuming 3.5% inflation, a SS COLA of 1.5%, and investment returns of 6% we are ok. We performed several what if analyses assuming DH passes at different ages, and assuming that I live to 95. We think the best approach would be for DH to delay SS until 70. If he passes early, I would start widow survivor benefits at 60 or 62 and then switch to my SS when I am 70 (9 years later). The life insurance would cover me until I started collected SS.

I ran things through FireCalc and it said we were at 100%, but I did not go into details on the asset allocations. I was glad that I was able to model the pension and SS factors correctly in FireCalc, unlike the other calculators I tried.

What do you all think?

I think you done some solid analysis and have a good plan.

1. You have health insurance covered. That's a big one for many of us.
2. Savings set aside for your kids' education outside of your analysis.
3. Estimated savings of $1.8 million when you retire. Lots of folks make it work with far less than this.
4. Life insurance which is particularly important given the health of your DH.
5. Detailed budget with plans to cut expenses where possible - such as downsizing your house.
6. Numbers run through FireCalc show 100% success.

I'm sorry to hear about DH's health problems. Hope you both have lots of time to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Have you used Quicken Lifetime Planner? If QLP and Firecalc both say you are good then you should be fine. I ran a half a dozen different tools that all said the same thing to different extents before I decided to ER.

In fact, if your plan at 55 is solid perhaps you should look at scenarios where you retire earlier but still with confidence in your finances so you and DW can enjoy your remaining years.

Are you sure that DH's pension has no joint life alternative? That would be very unusual in my experience. In fact, my plan requires that DW sign off if we decide to take my pension just on my life.

Welcome. Sorry to hear about your husband's health.

I'm in a similar situation to you - my husband is 9 years older, we both work 4 days a week and have our wonderful Fridays. And like you, I'm hoping to retire at 55. (Currently 51.)

I'd like to second pb4uski's suggestion of quicken's lifetime planner as a sanity check on firecalc and your spreadsheet. It's deterministic (you input the rate of return, inflation, etc.) but it allows a lot of granularity for lifetime expenses/events.

Actually the exW gets the pension when DH passes. (They were divorced a year before we met.)

I will try the Quicken lifetime planner.

If I could retire today and still get the medical I would do it. The rule is 15 years and 55 years old. I have 25 years but have to wait until I am 55 years old. I am working 28 hours a week and have considered going down to 21 to have more time off. My job is very flexible. DH works around 20 to 30 hours a week and loves his work and may not ever really retire. Since he is his own boss, he can set his own hours. DH doesn't feel the same urgency to retire and spend more time together that I do.

I have been playing with Quicken Lifetime Planner pretty intensely and believe we can be ok if we can keep our living expenses on budget. I think I have found ways to model a lot of the expense and income changes we are expecting.

Can anyone give their opinion on these assumptions? I am assuming 3% inflation, a SS CPI adjustment of 1.5%, and a 5% rate of return on investments. By default, Quicken adjusted SS with inflation which is unrealistic to me, so I instead added SS as if they were pensions. If you tweak these numbers even a bit, there is a reasonably large fluctuation in the results.

I ran what ifs on different life expectancies and we have a better idea of how much life insurance we need to keep at different ages. Also, our plan makes it without selling our house and without working part time after I am 55, so we have those as back ups. Right now, we are thinking that we might both decide to work half time for a few years to be able to afford some of the big ticket vacations we have dreamed of (Australia, England, Germany, France, Italy, and Hawaii). If the economy doesn't participate, we can instead use the extra income from part time work or downsizing to shore up our investments.

Regarding DH life insurance policy, some have a waiver of premium payments based on disability. Check it out. If he becomes too ill to work that policy will not become endangered by a reduction in cash flow. Your plan, as described, is solid. If I were you, I would even consider retiring now if for some reason you are unable to cut down your hours to the level you wish. Having the financial resources behind you as you do is a powerful amount of confidence to assert smartly in almost any workplace negotiation. I too hope you both have many wonderful years. Best, Joe

I will check out the insurance policy in more details. Thanks for the suggestion.

I can't quit yet because of the medical benefit. Luckily, my job is very flexible regarding number of hours.

Update on RetiringAt55

I wanted to give everyone an update. Our plan is still to retire after I turn 55 in September. I will have been 32 years with the same employer. At 55, I can get retiree medical.

I have been working full time the last few years as it was the only way to keep my job here. I have been very burnt out and am tired of working. I am eager to be able to have the time and energy to do what I want to do instead of the daily grind. I don't enjoy the work but it is more that it is taking time away from how I want to be spending my life.

Our nest egg has grown to over $2.2M. We believe we can stay in the same house for a while and leave downsizing for the future as a plan B if needed. I have run Firecalc and many other planners and they all say we are good. I am more afraid of running out of time than of running out of money!

My husband is doing well physically. He is finally coming around to the idea of retiring and doing other activities instead of just working. His business is naturally winding down so that is good timing.

We bought an RV last month and I am making plans for extended travel in retirement. Being gone somewhere warm for a month next February sounds really attractive right now!

This next year I am focusing on emotionally preparing for retirement. I have the activities lined up: travel, blogging, reading, crafting, gardening, board game group, D&D, etc. The hard part for me will be changing my identity from software developer to something else. I started a website/blog a couple years back as a creative outlet for myself and am really looking forward to spending more time posting on it. I doubt my website will ever make money but I am doing it for fun.

So less than a year to go!

"I started a website/blog a couple years back as a creative outlet for myself and am really looking forward to spending more time posting on it. I doubt my website will ever make money but I am doing it for fun."

I watch a lot of specific content videos on YouTube, mostly about backcountry hiking and exploring the western US via a Jeep, but there are a number of folks who post videos on all kinds of topics and they ask for patrons to donate in order to keep making videos. They show donation totals, some are making $2000+ a month just from donations. YouTube is supposedly the second highest used search engine behind Google. It has me wondering what activity do I enjoy that I can video and share my expertise on and make a few bucks at the same time. It has me pondering.

This next year I am focusing on emotionally preparing for retirement. I have the activities lined up: travel, blogging, reading, crafting, gardening, board game group, D&D, etc. The hard part for me will be changing my identity from software developer to something else. I started a website/blog a couple years back as a creative outlet for myself and am really looking forward to spending more time posting on it. I doubt my website will ever make money but I am doing it for fun.

I really hope that when I'm old enough to need to live in some sort of assisted living that there are gamer retirement communities. Board games, RPGs, LAN parties, the whole kit and kaboodle of gamer activities. :)

I really hope that when I'm old enough to need to live in some sort of assisted living that there are gamer retirement communities. Board games, RPGs, LAN parties, the whole kit and kaboodle of gamer activities. :)

We have to make those communities! My website is all about board games and being a DM for RPGs. I regularly host board game parties at my home for a group of gamers of all ages.:dance:

I wanted to give everyone an update. Our plan is still to retire after I turn 55 in September. I will have been 32 years with the same employer. At 55, I can get retiree medical.

I have been working full time the last few years as it was the only way to keep my job here. I have been very burnt out and am tired of working. I am eager to be able to have the time and energy to do what I want to do instead of the daily grind. I don't enjoy the work but it is more that it is taking time away from how I want to be spending my life.

Our nest egg has grown to over $2.2M. We believe we can stay in the same house for a while and leave downsizing for the future as a plan B if needed. I have run Firecalc and many other planners and they all say we are good. I am more afraid of running out of time than of running out of money!

My husband is doing well physically. He is finally coming around to the idea of retiring and doing other activities instead of just working. His business is naturally winding down so that is good timing.

We bought an RV last month and I am making plans for extended travel in retirement. Being gone somewhere warm for a month next February sounds really attractive right now!

So less than a year to go!
Thanks for the update.

If you want to post a link to your blog, you can do so in this thread http://www.early-retirement.org/for...c-and-art-created-by-our-members-64204-3.html .You can also include a link in your personal profile.

Free at last at 55!

I officially retired today! I am feeling a mixture of euphoria and fear.:eek:

This journey started back in March 2010, when I made the first of many spreadsheets to plan for early retirement. Since 2010, we saved as much as we could in our retirement plans. using low cost income funds.

I turned 55 a few weeks ago and finally became eligible for the big prize of retiree medical. I've planned a lot of fun activities for this month to help the transition. Right now, it still seems unreal but I know I will look back on this in a few months and know I made the right decision.

Life is an adventure story and it is time to write a new chapter! Thank you all for the encouragement and wise advice over the years that helped me get here.

Congratulations! I'm sure your story will inspire others to do the same. Make sure that alarm clock is OFF on Sunday night!

Congratulations - I read your first post in this thread dated 2013 and am glad to hear that you made it - time do what you want to do!

Congrats.
You lived up to your name.

Congrats!!! I also retired this week. What a great feeling. I turn 55 next month. Have an amazing retirement, RetiringAt55!

Congratulations! You planned, executed and now it's done! Retired at 55 is a major accomplishment.

A few thoughts to keep in mind - not exactly advice (you likely don't need that) - but maybe others looking at this thread will keep these things in mind as they aspire to FIRE...

Have at least one thing to do every day and that doesn't include waking up and having a cup of coffee. For me it's things like wash & wax the car, fix this or that, go see this place or that place. Those individual "things" often take more than one day - rebuild the deck, paint a room, etc. so sometimes the one thing stretches over many days.

Every time you go outside and hop in the car you are spending money. Maybe it's just the fuel you burn driving the vehicle but more than likely it's also the thing you are going to purchase, the event you are attending, etc. Hey, spend money if you have it but be aware of how you spend money and on which items. The book Your Money or Your Life really puts this into perspective.

Happy retirees volunteer, take vacations, and do all the same things working people do - maybe more, they just don't have a job. Maybe a retirees job is "to not have a job" that is, to ensure they use money wisely to make it last their lifetime.

We've spent much of our lives accumulating financial resources, turning on the spigot as I call it, spending money rather than making money, is an odd emotional change to deal with. We set up our withdrawals so we receive a paycheck twice a month. We continue to put money aside for long-term/unplanned expenses and pay all of our bills from our monthly "pay."

Getting together periodically with former co-workers can be interesting and in some ways informative but it's surprising how they just don't get it - retirement that is. I find that I have a better time being around other people who are retired (early or not) because they aren't consumed with office politics and such. I still see a fair number of former co-workers from time to time but the ones that are still working are a bit of a bummer to be around. The retired friends are way more interesting.

nvestysly, luckily the coworkers I will continue to see will be to play board games, RPGs, do crafts, go to gaming conventions, escape rooms, etc.. We surprisingly never talked about office politics outside the office in the past so I think it will turn out well.

My plan for October is some travel and lots of delayed chores that I really want to take care of. I want to do a lot of decluttering and organizing. I am going away a couple weekends to visit my daughter out of state and have a short RV trip planned during the week when the state park should be empty.

I have so many things to do I have no fear of boredom! One thing that is interesting is that I never noticed before how many times I think about what I *should* be doing goes through my head. I keep finding myself thinking "Oh I should do laundry tomorrow while I can since its the weekend" and then stopping myself and correcting that to "I can do laundry any day I want now!" There is no concept of weekend. No *shoulds* about my time. I never realized how often w*rk things like 'I have to remember to email Joe on Monday' ran through my head. I am pushing that out of my head now. What freedom!

One thing that really helped me avoid one more year syndrome was posting on here. Looking back at my older posts reminded me of how long I was desperate to leave. Cognitive dissonance - one's mind makes all kinds of excuses that its not really that bad w*rking and you *should* keep your j*b just in case. NOOOOO! I really have hated it all these years. That gave me the courage to walk away from the money.

I have been playing with Quicken Lifetime Planner pretty intensely and believe we can be ok if we can keep our living expenses on budget. I think I have found ways to model a lot of the expense and income changes we are expecting.

Can anyone give their opinion on these assumptions? I am assuming 3% inflation, a SS CPI adjustment of 1.5%, and a 5% rate of return on investments. By default, Quicken adjusted SS with inflation which is unrealistic to me, so I instead added SS as if they were pensions. If you tweak these numbers even a bit, there is a reasonably large fluctuation in the results.

I ran what ifs on different life expectancies and we have a better idea of how much life insurance we need to keep at different ages. Also, our plan makes it without selling our house and without working part time after I am 55, so we have those as back ups. Right now, we are thinking that we might both decide to work half time for a few years to be able to afford some of the big ticket vacations we have dreamed of (Australia, England, Germany, France, Italy, and Hawaii). If the economy doesn't participate, we can instead use the extra income from part time work or downsizing to shore up our investments.

Is there a cost associated with this Quicken Lifetime Planner product?
Thanks

To be honest, I don't know about Quicken anymore. I haven't used it in years.

I've been mainly using Firecalc and Fidelity's Retirement Income Planner. I have run them both dozens of times. I get almost the same exact results from those two models even though they use totally different methodologies. Firecalc is free and I believe Fidelity has a free version, although I use the one that is part of my retirement account as they managed my employer's 401k.

Back
Top Bottom