Houston-area Engineer, age 61, playing "OMY."

With every other Friday off plus 5 weeks vac & holidays I guess you have had chances to "pretend" you are retired. If you still want to keep working with even with all the "practice" that's cool.

I'm 58.5yrs, and a self employed consultant. Great hourly rate, steady client for most of 20+ yrs , but no 5 week vac / any holidays sick PTO etc. I pay for all Health Ins & semi-double Social / FICA. But the hourly rate & low ovhd seems to keep me way ahead of most folks. I've taken only 7 - 10 days vac per yr, + holidays at no pay. Not sick much luckily.

So my "practice " ER days are not very often.

I drive ~ 2 hrs round trip commute but only 25- 30 miles one way in north Atlanta's world class traffic. I can understand your frustration with the commute.

I'm trying to do some tele work (w*rk from home most Friday's) and trying shorter days at my clients office...but still very itchy to pull the trigger.

Thank goodness the local schools are out as of today. This make a huge difference over here. In late Aug they all start back and I already dread it...and I have not yet begun to enjoy the lighter summer traffic!

Good luck working through your decision.

I also live west of Houston grew up 45 min from Galveston went to work for mega Amoco until it was bought out.
29 years of service 6 weeks of vacation great 401k. Have 2 more years until I am eligible for retirement.
Then omy, should be good to go at 56. But I agree working on myself to be ready, huge change !!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom