I did it!!!

Timeline has firmed up. Last day is 3/8 - turn in computer and tools, exit interview, and I am DONE!!! :greetings10:

FWIW: I put a countdown on my phone that's titled "Freedom!" so that my colleagues will punch me in the arm. :dance:

Last day at the plant was Friday 3/1. Just have to pack up the apartment, drive home, and take one day to turn in computer, tools, and do exit interview. Last actual day, Thursday 3/7!

Much smiling is happening. :dance:

The annual bonus hit on 1/31. That night I gave notice to my management and today I informed the client I'm working for (both times ready for the possibility, though I thought it unlikely, that I'd be shown the door immediately).

The bonus finished my OMY list: 401(k) match, 401(k) 100% vesting, bonus.

I'll be finishing up my current assignment in early March, head back home, turn in computer and tools, and start FIREd life, probably somewhere around 3/8 or 3/11. That was my preferred time frame.

I'm excited/giddy/nervous all at the same time. Mostly excited. :)

I think I'm starting to understand how DW felt in 10/22 when she FIREd...

WOOT WOOT!! :dance:

Last day at the plant was Friday 3/1. Just have to pack up the apartment, drive home, and take one day to turn in computer, tools, and do exit interview. Last actual day, Thursday 3/7!

I remember those days from 19 years ago. Take time to enjoy the feeling.:)

I remember those days from 19 years ago. Take time to enjoy the feeling.:)
I'm a bit jealous! I ER'd after w#rking from home for a year. I had no exit interview, no going away party, just a pre-paid FEDEX label to ship back my computer. Retirement was anticlimactic to say the least! I did enjoy turning off the alarm clock.

Ah yes, retirement day....

It's one of the ~10 days/events that have happened in my lifetime that are burned into NVRAM.

Last edited:
Ah yes, retirement day....

It's one of the ~10 days/events that have happened in my lifetime that are burned into NVRAM.

Heh, heh, just to be diplomatic, I'll have to say that my marriage date was the number one. Retirement day was number two.:LOL:

Oddly, number 3 was probably getting hired by Megacorp. Not sure that computes, but there it is.

...and first full day of retirement! It feels... about the same right now (I would normally be on my 4-day turnaround through Monday). DW thinks that next Tuesday, when I don't have to go to the airport and board a plane, will be when it sinks in. I think she's right.

...and first full day of retirement! It feels... about the same right now (I would normally be on my 4-day turnaround through Monday). DW thinks that next Tuesday, when I don't have to go to the airport and board a plane, will be when it sinks in. I think she's right.

Been a few weeks for me. Feels like what I imagine missing a limb might feel like... you keep forgetting its not there over and over again. I'm finally starting to not immediately start checking/answering email when I wake up, though still waking up at 5am.

P.S. Congrats!

Been a few weeks for me. Feels like what I imagine missing a limb might feel like... you keep forgetting its not there over and over again. I'm finally starting to not immediately start checking/answering email when I wake up, though still waking up at 5am.

P.S. Congrats!

I wonder if I had already "checked out" when I left Megacorp. I thought about it occasionally, but just never felt much one way or the other about not going in every day. Adjusting to a modest pension vs a decent salary deposit every month was a little more of an issue for a while until I got my financial house in order. Announcing my exit on a Tuesday and leaving that Friday didn't give me a lot of time for details like that.:cool: YMMV

Congrats! Two years this week for me. Everyone asks me if I am getting bored and antsy. I say no and I am only bored when I choose to be as there is always something I can do. Sometimes being bored intentionally is a good thing :)

I wonder if I had already "checked out" when I left Megacorp. I thought about it occasionally, but just never felt much one way or the other about not going in every day. Adjusting to a modest pension vs a decent salary deposit every month was a little more of an issue for a while until I got my financial house in order. Announcing my exit on a Tuesday and leaving that Friday didn't give me a lot of time for details like that.:cool: YMMV

I expect that will definitely be an issue for me, as pension and SS won't start for another couple years, so will be mostly portfolio drawdown + rental income (until we sell the r.e.) + lumpy stuff like RSU's. Have a couple years of cash set aside for this transition. But, still breaking into an occasional cold sweat.

Way to go! Fantastic milestone!

Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom