Introduction and Questions

Tom52
but the pay is too good and my career somewhat too specialized to easily consider relocation. So, obviously we would like to relocate somewhere more to our liking if we can ever make it to retirement.

Hi Tom, Welcome to the boards.

You might try taking a look at our Preferred Links Page http://retireearlylifestyle.com/favorite_er_links.htm under the RELOCATION, RETIREMENT JOBS, COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT section. Find your Spot is an excellent relocation service. Just take their free quiz letting their data base know what kind of town or city you prefer, what sort of climate, housing prices, etc. and they give you a selection of places to choose from.

however, we just heard this past week that there is a chance my wife's company has been sold and there will be layoffs. Her future earning potential is at best cloudy at this point. In fact, I believe that my position may only run for another 2 or 3 years, unfortunately there are no guarantees in life.

Under this same topic on our page, there are links to sites where your wife, should her job disappear, can possibly work from home, or find another company who specializes in hiring those over 50. At least for the next 2 or 3 years, she could still contribute to your retirement plan/dreams -- it's something to consider.

I really haven't set down to see how easy it would be to live on $70,000 per year, I am not sure how much health insurance costs, right now we have no medical conditions.

Take a look at our Priceless Retirement piece http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/motley_fool_article_6.htm where we list the categories and our $24K total net annual spending. I recently updated those figures to June of 2006, and they were the same total. The categories changed, but the net annual spending was the same.

Ok, so you don't think you want to live our lifestyle on $24K -- I say, then double it. I'm not entirely convinced I would have twice the fun we're having now at twice the expense... but then again, everyone's needs and desires are different.

At least, even if you disagree with our style, you will know that it can be done, and that will give you confidence to do it 'your way.'

Be well, and good luck.
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Billy said:
I'm not entirely convinced I would have twice the fun we're having now at twice the expense... but then again, everyone's needs and desires are different.
After about 15 seconds of brainstorming I came up with "daily Thai massages, poolside at a favorite guest house, with the pool area sunscreened overhead and air conditioned". That'd really simplify the post-massage napping, too.

I'm sure the landlord wouldn't mind being subsidized by a silent partner or two into making these changes.

You know, Charlie at Top North actually did put in a Thai massage place right next to the pool. It has a sauna and an airconditioned massage room! And of course people sleep at the pool on the mats all the time...

luxury!

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Billy said:
You know, Charlie at Top North actually did put in a Thai massage place right next to the pool.
Damn, I've been away too long. Time to go back!

Back
Top Bottom