Introduction: Pondering ER

Shawn said:
I have considered foregoing employer medical coverage by retiring today at 47 instead of waiting until 50.

Only you know when the time is right and for you that time is now. Enjoy FIRE and welcome to the club.

Shawn,

You could be writing for me as well. I used to work for a similar employer, and had similar issues with management. Those issues led me to leave, but I remained in the same retirement system. I’m also at a similar age, with somewhat similar financial circumstances, and facing similar desires and choices.

Personally, I intend to work the remaining few years, for one so as not to lose the health benefits, etc., of the retirement system. I recognize that the shine of those benefits is being tarnished, but they are especially valuable to an early retiree (e.g., age 50). From what I hear of your situation, I would suggest that you relax and take it easier at work, try not to take things personally as much, make a few more contributions to society via work, and generally do what it takes to make it through the last few years to 50 with your head held high.

I would also encourage you to think about taking some time off. A years leave of absence, for example, would likely do wonders. Since you are thinking about cutting the cord now anyway, there's no down-side to an extended LOA. Just think of what you could do...

Cheers.

Beautiful reply.

I can add nothing at this point, except that I wish you well, and I hope you can figure it all out.

Seems like you are both "II" and "FI" (intellectually and financially independent :D ), but even though you are taking the opportunity of that position that a lot of people fantasize about to kind of stick your thumb in the eye of the establishment, a possibly more ultimately rewarding and satisfying (and reputation preserving) course might be to look into the Berkley thing -- or, since there can't be too many in your field, perhaps you can get a grant/contract to do exactly and only the parts of your job that you love, selling your services back to your current employer, but refuse to include the parts you hate in the agreement...?

In other words, create your own job, and propose it back to your bosses bosses?

Taking a 30 day vacation is the best thing you can do IMHO. Reflect on your situation and get your priorities straight. Read books on ER - there are alot of really good ones out there, and you'll have 30 days to read 'em all! I fear that it may be a huge shock to go from working nonstop (as you describe) to farting around in your pajamas for days on end. You could get seriously depressed! I wouldn't, but maybe you would? :) At any rate, I like the idea of easing into FIRE with half time - seems like the best of both worlds for a type-a 'er like you. Whatever you decide, enjoy the journey.

ave you read Scott Berkun's essays? You'd appreciate his perspective on a number of areas, but here's his advice for a bad boss:
"The best advice for having a bad manager is to seek other employment. Don’t undervalue your happiness: it’s impossible to be happy if you work directly for someone you can’t stand. It may be difficult to find another job, but if you are willing to make compromises in other areas (salary, position, project, location, etc.) it will certainly be possible. Being happy and underpaid is a much better way to spend a life than unhappy and anything else."

~i like this!

Back
Top Bottom