Joining the club at age 50

CA2WA

Confused about dryer sheets
After browsing for some time, I finally registered with the site today, as I'm less than four weeks from the big day. I still can't really believe it.

The short story is that my wife and I always thought we would retire on the early side. We have always been frugal and fortunate to have well-paying jobs in law. The combination of a covid-induced re-look at our priorities and a leadership succession process at my work that took an unexpected turn led us to decide that now is a good time. I turned 50 last year and my wife is a couple of years younger.

We both gave plenty of notice to our employers (6+ months) and have been working to transition things. That's gone better for me than for her, because she has a role where they need to hire from outside to replace her, and they took advantage of the long notice period to delay starting the search. She has agreed to stay on a bit longer out of loyalty to the company and her colleagues, but at some point there will have to be a drop dead date.

As my username implies, we were based in California, but have recently moved to Washington. We had a second home in Portland, OR for many years and always thought we would retire to the PNW. While we still love Portland, it has had a rough few years and we decided we would prefer to be in the suburbs on the Washington side of the Columbia River rather than the city center.

Things I'm looking forward to in retirement include: more travel (we already have a couple of trips to Europe planned for later this year), exercise (the new house has a fully-equipped gym and I'm moving my rowing shell to a boathouse up here), learning to keep bees (have already started this one, but have a lot to learn), more language learning (I started studying Italian at the beginning of covid), sailing lessons, etc.

Over time we would like to find ways to stay connected to the law. My wife is considering doing mediation work, as it's something she got exposure to at her job and she thinks she would enjoy doing it once in a while to exercise that part of her brain. I've also been involved in non-profit governance and would like to find an organization or two in the PNW to get involved with to try to help.

That's me in a nutshell. Happy to be joining the ranks of the early retirees! I've already gotten some great ideas from threads here like "Blow that dough" :).

Welcome to the forum from another PNW member!

Welcome to our wonderful forum. Hope to hear updates in the future.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum! It looks like you have plenty of activities to keep you busy.

Congratulations and welcome! Sounds like you are adapting well. You are doing the same as my ex-neighbors did. They used to have a condo in Portland but bought in the Vancouver area after moving the main home from California. Their own version of a tax haven, I might add.

Welcome!

I've had several friends move to the Vancouver side of the river in the past 5 years. Close enough to shop tax free on the Oregon side, and avoid income tax on the WA side.

Ho anche studiato italiano quando sono andato in pensione. E' una lingua bellisima. Non parlo bene, ma mi diverto a provare.

Welcome CA2WA! Glad to have you.

My BFF's DH is a retired lawyer who volunteers for the legal aid society in his area, mostly helping senior citizens who are being dunned by bill collectors or who have landlord issues. Very flexible, since COVID almost all by phone/computer rather than in person, and he really enjoys telling nasty bill collectors they need to stop harassing his client or he will see them in court.

Ho anche studiato italiano quando sono andato in pensione. E' una lingua bellisima. Non parlo bene, ma mi diverto a provare.

Grazie per il tuo post! Mi godo tantissimo studiare l'italiano. Com'è fai i tuoi studi?

Ho cominciato a farlo con delle app (come duolingo), poi ho preso un corso online da edX, ed adesso faccio lezioni due o tre volte ogni settimana con insegnanti in Italia sul sito web verbling.com. Provo a guardare le serie TV in italiano, ma non sono ancora all'altezza senza i sottotitoli.

Se vuoi parlare (o scrivere) in italiano insieme, dimmi!

Congratulations and welcome. I look forward to hearing more about this next stage.

Welcome to the FIRE forum. We look forward to hearing how you were able to retire at 50.

Congrats!

I think you will have a lot of company in Washington.

I lived in California (and practiced law there for a little while decades ago). I moved for a job but recently retired and was considering moving back to California. After an exploratory trip, it became clear that California was too expensive. You probably made the change at the perfect time.

I am now going to explore possibly moving to the PNW, including the Washington suburbs of Portland. I'm sure there are many others doing the same.

Your wife's idea of doing mediation occasionally sounds like a great idea.

Hello and welcome new neighbor. We moved to the Portland area from Boston in 1990 and love the PNW. I hope you enjoy it as well. I am friends with a local bee expert in Portland so I can put you in touch with him if you'd like.

Back
Top Bottom