List of cars that qualify $4500 rebate

Yet another BONEHEADED program brought to you by your government. Why crush the clunkers?? SHEESH, this is only going to drive up secondary markets for used car parts, plus make it more difficult for poor people to find any clunker to drive. :gah: Really, really lame.

Yet another BONEHEADED program brought to you by your government. Why crush the clunkers?? SHEESH, this is only going to drive up secondary markets for used car parts, plus make it more difficult for poor people to find any clunker to drive. :gah: Really, really lame.

Well, here is part of the response I got from (the office of) the (lame duck) Senator who replaced Obama:

I supported this legislation because it will help increase business for dealers hurting across Illinois and across the country. The program will benefit our automobile industry, our economy and clean energy initiatives.

Sincerely,

Roland W. Burris
United States Senator

It was actually a bit more detailed and specific than I expected, but the reason is still bogus.

Dick Durbin's office sent a long response that had nothing to do with my comments - it was some canned thing about Cap&Trade (which was part of the same bill I think).

-ERD50

I'd really be proud of that "buy American" spirit. Here, I thought it was the American government that was giving the cash back. Maybe the Japanese government also got involved and we didn't know it.

First of all, both my family's "foreign" cars were built in the US, by American auto workers, supporting their families. My purchases helped pay their wages, provide health insurance, retirements, etc. Second, I've owned many big 3 vehicles in my life, and don't feel any need to justify my decision to buy whatever I want with my money. I work for the US Government, and have spent almost 33 years in the US military. Third, in case you don't know it, pretty much any car you buy in this country, whether badged as a "US" company or not, almost assuredly has a great percentage of foreign made components in it. I'm quite proud of my support of business in this country, and couldn't give rat's ass what you think. For the record, my "buy American" vehicle that I traded in is just 11 years old, and the engine & transmission are both in need of major, expensive repair. The Honda we traded in for the '07 Camry was more than 16 years old with close to 250.000 miles and never needed to be touched except for routine maintenance.

Lufkin in August. I can almost smell the paper mill from here...:nonono:

lol...smell? Nobody told me about that! Surely it can't be anything like Savannah, GA? I don't know how it is there now, but the last time I was there is was REALLY bad! Of course, I grew up in the southeast around paper mills, so I'm sort of used to it. One thing's for sure though, I bet I won't be needing a snow blower hahaha! I've already sold mine, got rid of the shovels, bags of salt, ice cleats etc. I didn't really have a serious winter coat when I got here, but now I've got enough stuff for the rest of my life & beyond. I had a great time up here, but it's time to GO!:LOL:

I'd really be proud of that "buy American" spirit. Here, I thought it was the American government that was giving the cash back. Maybe the Japanese government also got involved and we didn't know it.
Didn't someone quote a study here a while back showing that the Japanese manufacturer's American plants used more American parts in their "foreign" cars than American manufacturers did in their "domestic" cars?

Read Lowenstein's latest book and see if you feel that GM's management and unions have been responsible stewards of the "Buy American" tradition. I'm pro-union but these guys crossed the line more times than a platoon of conga dancers.

I'm sure that the spare parts will still find a way to "fall" off the cars into someone's eBay website.

Besides the program applies to low-MPG clunkers. The fuel-efficient clunkers will still be there for everyone. In fact if you're looking for a cheap '97 Nissan Altima with 102K miles, 30+ MPG, and some minor guardrail body damage then it's yours for the cost of the shipping!

I'm sure that the spare parts will still find a way to "fall" off the cars into someone's eBay website.

Besides the program applies to low-MPG clunkers. The fuel-efficient clunkers will still be there for everyone. In fact if you're looking for a cheap '97 Nissan Altima with 102K miles, 30+ MPG, and some minor guardrail body damage then it's yours for the cost of the shipping!

As I understand it, the drivetrain and transmission must be totally destroyed. I don't know who thinks this is a good idea. Most people driving clunkers can't afford a new car anyhow, so who will this truly benefit?

As for the availability of clunkers for poor people...seldom do they have any choice in make, model, color, etc. It's typically a matter of what they can find that will roll for $700 (or whatever paltry sum they have.)

They only need to make the drivetrain unusable, other spare parts can still be sold. Whether that makes economic sense or not, I don't know - they might just crunch the whole thing.

Besides the program applies to low-MPG clunkers. The fuel-efficient clunkers will still be there for everyone.

It still has the effect of reducing supply of old cars, so *all* old cars will rise in price. This really is a bad bill for poor people - they are not in a position to buy a new car, so no benefit, all negatives for them.

sorry, posted after Sarah W said the same thing (where is that "a new post has been added" feature we used to have:confused::confused::confused:)
-ERD50

Heh, my 1999 3/4 ton 7.4 litre (AKA 454) GMC Suburban is NOT on the clunker list. Yet the 5.7 litre model Sub is
idiot2.gif

Even if it was, I would not trade it, It has at least another 200 thousand miles left in it.

Curiously the early 90's Jaguars are on the list, yet my 88 is not. The early 90's 6 cyl Jags can squeeze out 30 to 32 mpg on the highway. The best ever I could get is 28 to 29 mpg.

Some list, the rationale sure evades me.

I was curious about allowing the clunker to be sold for parts. Here is what I found:

During the six-month period prior to the required crushing or shredding of the
trade-in vehicle, the disposal facility may sell any parts of the vehicle other than the
engine block or drive train (unless the drive train is dismantled and sold in parts).
http://www.cars.gov/files/TheRule.pdf

Interesting also that dealers will be required to give the engines a lethal injection of sodium silicate...

The agency has determined that a quick, inexpensive, and environmentally safe process exists to disable the engine of the trade-in vehicle while in the dealer’s possession. Removing the engine oil from the crankcase, replacing it with a 40 percent solution of sodium silicate (a substance used in similar concentrations in many common vehicle applications, including patching mufflers and radiators), and running the engine for a short period of time at low speeds renders the engine inoperable.
Sodium Silicate Is The Cash for Clunkers Executioner

Heh, my 1999 3/4 ton 7.4 litre (AKA 454) GMC Suburban is NOT on the clunker list. Yet the 5.7 litre model Sub is
idiot2.gif

You 3/4T burb would have to apply. What does that thing do for mileage with BBC in it? 10-12MPG?

As I understand it, the drivetrain and transmission must be totally destroyed. I don't know who thinks this is a good idea. Most people driving clunkers can't afford a new car anyhow, so who will this truly benefit?

As for the availability of clunkers for poor people...seldom do they have any choice in make, model, color, etc. It's typically a matter of what they can find that will roll for $700 (or whatever paltry sum they have.)

From what the dealers are telling me... there are a lot of people coming in 'looking'.... the Hyundai dealer said he sold 5 on Saturday...

Seems a lot of LBYM people who have clunkers also have the money to buy new....

Can anybody find a website that shows how many have been bought under the program at any time? I would like to know if the money is going out fast or not...

You 3/4T burb would have to apply. What does that thing do for mileage with BBC in it? 10-12MPG?
Summer time, running between Baltimore MD and SW PA house 15 to 16.5. Towing Argosy trailer 12 to 13. I made a few aerodynamic mods, plus it has custom programmed computer. Could do better if I got rid of roof railings/crossbars/kayak cradles, but need them to haul my 18' kayak.

Winter time mileage drops about 2 mpg.

Darn good for a 7000+ lb vehicle.

Can anybody find a website that shows how many have been bought under the program at any time? I would like to know if the money is going out fast or not...

I don't know of a tracking website, but my wife and I went car shopping on Saturday and it was definitely busy. The dealer said that they'd sold 12 vehicles that day (mostly Cash for Clunkers).

Seems a lot of LBYM people who have clunkers also have the money to buy new....

We decided to take advantage of the program. All together (govt program, cash allowances from Chrysler, haggling the dealer below invoice, etc), we bought the car for almost $12,000 less than the sticker price (MSRP). We probably got too much car, but it's paid for and sure looks nice in the driveway :).

Back
Top Bottom