EV Tax Rebate Hack - ideas needed

Aiming_4_55

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The group has always been great at analyzing key limits and benefits, i.e. ACA, tax brackets, SS vs annuity, etc. I'm interested in the $7500 EV rebate, but don't qualify for the Federal Rebate as-is, since I'm still gainfully employed by choice but frugal. I know, I should just suck it up and pay full price without consideration for the rebate!

An option that I've heard is to lease a car, then pay it off/purchase it a few months into the lease, if allowed. Lease cash that matches EV rebate seems to help offset most of the EV rebate. I'm considering a Chevy Bolt for kid #1 and Tesla Model 3 for wife. We have a newer gas powered vehicle, so range concern is minor. Unfortunately, neither Bolt or Model 3 offer a lease option that would replace the EV rebate amount.

Thought about filing taxes Married filing Separate, but wife's income is about $30k a year and most of that goes to a 401k plan to reduce taxes. Kid is still a dependent, so no tax savings benefit of the EV rebate.

Thought about offering to buy a friend's 2 year old Tesla at a reasonable price. He already applied the EV rebate to the car previously, I may get a discount and he has cash to buy a new Tesla, assuming he still qualifies for the EV rebate. With the price drops on Model 3, he might get a new car with little out of pocket cost after receiving another rebate. Not sure how many times one can get the EV rebate.

Or, am I just gonna add this to the list of reasons to semi-retire or retire? With no income, I can perform some Roth conversions to create a tax liability and the EV rebate would help offset out of pocket dollars.

Have you heard of other options? TIA for legal ideas.

Last edited:
I have nothing* useful or helpful to say in response to your questions,* but I do wonder why your post is peppered with asterisks.**

Back
Top Bottom