Moving to the Colorado Mountains next year.

Hi Hermit, I was just this close to being a hermit. Bought a home 1/2 mile from a mountain wilderness, last place on the grid. Thought I would just sit up here and watch the quail and critters go by. Didn't happen I was recruited to help build a new firehouse within the first 2 months. In a town of 200 with maybe 200 across the state line into New Mexico, I got sucked into a caring, loving community, where everyone knows your name. I have more good friends, but not so many neighbors, as any place I have ever lived in my life.

Happy trails, grasshopper

Hermit -

Good luck with your retirement cabin! I'll be following your stories - I've always wanted to be a hermit up in the mountains myself.

NOT for me as I enjoy being with people! But keep us posted! Remember you always go home! Be safe.

Hi Hermit, I was just this close to being a hermit. Bought a home 1/2 mile from a mountain wilderness, last place on the grid. Thought I would just sit up here and watch the quail and critters go by. Didn't happen I was recruited to help build a new firehouse within the first 2 months. In a town of 200 with maybe 200 across the state line into New Mexico, I got sucked into a caring, loving community, where everyone knows your name. I have more good friends, but not so many neighbors, as any place I have ever lived in my life.

Happy trails, grasshopper

Your comments sound so familiar. "Hi, we're the So-and-sos, welcome to the Valley. Please join us for dinner." The warmth and friendliness is amazing. I've already been recruited to help build a building at the camp. Groups of volunteers come up to help and we all eat in the camp dining hall as a large family. Those quiet few months in the middle of Winter may be just enough quiet time to keep some sense of balance.

Hermit

Last week it was 2 potlucks, today is Oktoberfest, we are just the eatingest people in the world. I think sitting down to a meal with friends and neighbors, is one of life's great pleasures. Next month we have 24 folks of all ages, signed up for a 2 day Search and Rescue class provide by our county. Gee this is 5% of the year round population. Almost 1/2 are already volunteer EMT's or FireFighters, most of the others are bird and nature guides from the area, which is what we are famous for. I love this close knit community, that helps each other, and lends a hand when needed.

Portal, Arizona - Rodeo, New Mexico

Your comments sound so familiar. "Hi, we're the So-and-sos, welcome to the Valley. Please join us for dinner." The warmth and friendliness is amazing. I've already been recruited to help build a building at the camp. Groups of volunteers come up to help and we all eat in the camp dining hall as a large family. Those quiet few months in the middle of Winter may be just enough quiet time to keep some sense of balance.

Hermit

Our cabin is by Canon City up a dozen miles or so past the Royal Gorge. Not that far from Westcliffe. Great area. It does get cold--12 inches of snow when we drove up Christmas Break and well below zero. Quite a change from Houston.

My grandma used to take me on trips to Canon City to see a friend. The royal gorge is impressive.

Our cabin is by Canon City up a dozen miles or so past the Royal Gorge. Not that far from Westcliffe. Great area. It does get cold--12 inches of snow when we drove up Christmas Break and well below zero. Quite a change from Houston.

Some friends just bought some land between Texas Creek and Westcliffe this spring. That's some pretty country. Beautiful view of the Sangre de Cristo mountain range.

Some friends just bought some land between Texas Creek and Westcliffe this spring. That's some pretty country. Beautiful view of the Sangre de Cristo mountain range.

I fish over by Texas Creek often--the (Herndon?) Lease, the Lower Flood Plain, Spiked Buck, and a couple other areas right on Highway 50. Our cabin is sheltered by a little rise in front, but if you hike up the back a few minutes, there is a great view of the Sangres.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom