Newbie here

zxxxt

Dryer sheet wannabe
No plans to retire yet but I found this forum through Google and find it very interesting.

Welcome aboard, zxxxt.

When you have a chance and feel comfortable, feel free to share more about yourself.

Coach

Welcome aboard, and ...

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager
[promotional tag edited by mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
So whats the average age of posters here? I'm on my early 30's and not thinking of retiring yet...my basic point of view of retiring is boring unless you have plenty of money to occupy yourself.

So whats the average age of posters here? I'm on my early 30's and not thinking of retiring yet...my basic point of view of retiring is boring unless you have plenty of money to occupy yourself.

I don't know what the average age is here (I'm 50), but I'd definitely argue with the notion that enjoying life - whether you're retired or still working - has much to do with having a lot of money. If that's how you view retirement, I'm guessing that's how you view life in general. To each their own, but you may want to take a look at that and ask whether at the end of your life it'll have been worth it. Remember, the best things in life aren't things.

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager
The Ultimate Cheapskate

I think there's normally an age-based component to people's outlook on money. I know that I used to think that money was much more important to my happiness than I do now. It seems to me that people gradually realize that money isn't the goal, it's happiness. Sometimes those two things converge, and other times they diverge, resulting in trading money (in lost potential income) for happiness.

And some people end up changing their view about money earlier than others. I've noticed a decent set of 34-year olds (including myself) here.

Yep, another 34 year old here. Welcome to the board zxxxt.
My plan is to retire in about 10-15 years. While I could probably pull the plug earlier, I definitely want to have enough discretionary income in retirement to be able to do plenty of interesting things that often cost money (like traveling...). But I have noticed something interesting in the past few years. When I was working full time I spent a lot of money on "stuff" because it was a quick and easy way to make me feel "happy". Now that I reduced my workload and I have more time for myself, I don't feel the need to spend so much money to feel happy. Don't know why, but these days I pretty much have to kick myself to go shopping...

Welcome, zxxxt. My husband and I are mid-thirties as well, and have been daydreaming about early retirement since our early 20s. When we on the board say "retirement" we don't mean moving to Florida and playing shuffleboard till it's time for the early bird dinner. The idea is to be financially independent so that you can live the life you want, whatever that involves. It's all about giving yourself options.

Back
Top Bottom