Once frugal, always frugal?

There is a difference between shopping for value and being frugal.

We shop for value. Willing to spend money if the product is good and the quality high.

As captain3d said, that was a useful observation on a more expensive apartment not necessarily being a whole lot better. My figures are similar to yours. My portfolio is currently at $1.25M, and I live on $27,600/year. Up until a couple of years ago, I was living on $18K/year. I have very reasonable rent. I have thought of "trading up" to a pricier rental, but keep coming back to the realization that a lot of the "newness" of a nicer place would wear off after a while. I'd then be stuck wondering whether the large increase in rent had given me a proportionally big increase in the quality of the living experience, as you seem to be doing.

Your statement that you "probably just need to get busier doing other things so I'm not thinking about it so much" contains a lot of wisdom, I think. The whole subject of deriving a sense of satisfaction from life could be the subject of a whole new thread. However, if your new place is not giving you quite the jump-up in quality of life that you were hoping, then going to back to the old place, or somewhere like it, at cheaper rent, would free up some extra funds. That extra spending money could be used for all sorts of fun activities, get togethers etc, which could increase your enjoyment of your retired life. You are the one who knows yourself best, and can figure this out. Sometimes, we have to try things to find out what works best.

All the best to you!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom