One last item before FIRE: Health Insurance

Our Cobra is looking to be around $1100 a month but that is for me, wifey and daughter.

I keep hearing 2014 as well, but hopefully something can become more clear before then for the national health care. Even 2014 would be fine, as long as its well defined.

I wonder if the government will plug the obvious hole in terms of testing income AND means? While I am certain I will take advantage of any financial help the government gives, I can't help but think its wrong some how...

wanting, we are also in MA and will need insurance as of Aug 1. The rates are very high and because the companies are appealing the state ruling on premiums, they won't even guarantee those. :mad:

Regarding the state's financial assistance, we just barely fail the income test, and so avoid the ethical dilemma about the lack of means testing... I hear you that it feels wrong. But then the stranglehold of the whole system -- insurance companies, medical industrial complex, etc. -- is also wrong. The whole subject makes me crazy!

Good luck with this, and otherwise congrats on your ER!

wanting, we are also in MA and will need insurance as of Aug 1. The rates are very high and because the companies are appealing the state ruling on premiums, they won't even guarantee those. :mad:

Regarding the state's financial assistance, we just barely fail the income test, and so avoid the ethical dilemma about the lack of means testing... I hear you that it feels wrong. But then the stranglehold of the whole system -- insurance companies, medical industrial complex, etc. -- is also wrong. The whole subject makes me crazy!

Good luck with this, and otherwise congrats on your ER!

Thank you for the info and the kind words.

I looked into the states financial assistance and did not see any.

All I could find was that if your income is under 54k, you may qualify for cheaper insurance, but the insurance is not that great in comparison to the other plans.

Have you found other information about financial assistance if your income is low enough?

No, I don't know of any other options. In fact, I hadn't even explored the plans for lower income since we didn't qualify. For spouse and me, family of 2, the threshold is $43K. So I guess we're supposed to buy insurance for $1000/month, give or take, pay the coinsurances and deductibles, and be thankful we can't be turned down for pre-existing conditions. Hmmph.

Back
Top Bottom