Put yourself in my shoes, what would you do?

I know someone who went overseas to teach English in his late fifties, after a divorce, and loved it. I've read there are very cheap ways to live overseas, and as a single male you can venture into slightly rougher neighborhoods without risk to personal safety.

You don't mention a profession, but at your age, I would try and cobble together some sort of work stream in the foreign country. mystery shopper for hiltons? Locations scout for hotels...??

As a fellow wonder-luster, I wish you luck.

Check out this magazine, they have great tips:
https://internationalliving.com/

Imagine that you spend $1,500 a month. Imagine that you start with $100K. If your investments make and lose no money, you run out in 67 months. Imagine your investments tank and lose 50% of their value. You run out in less than 33 months. Imagine being homeless in a foreign land with no safety net, and no social programs.

Sure, but it’s not like the money will be gone instantaneously. He’d have the opportunity to change course before he would run out of money.

Could have something to do with "been single for the last two years" perhaps? Sometimes "becoming single" can be rather expensive.

Well this could mean the OP had a long term partner not necessary that there was a divorce..

As someone else said, it wouldn't be what I would want to do, but if you're sure it's the life you want, then now is the time to do it, while you are still pretty young and with no dependents. Nobody can guarantee you that it will work (or won't work), so it really comes down to how much financial risk you are willing to take, in order to live the kind of life you want to live now.

Wow, thanks for all the responses! I had no idea this site had such a lot of traffic. I'll address a couple of recurring responses.

A few of you think gambling is risky and silly, and that's perfectly understandable. I would have too if I wasn't able to do what I do. With sportsbetting I am not simply betting on things and trying to get lucky, I am mostly looking for positions where the bookies have made an error, in some cases betting on both sides of a possible outcome for a guaranteed profit (Called arbitrage betting). Almost every bookie has restricted or closed my accounts in the last couple of years. I currently use some friends accounts and give them a cut of profit for going to the trouble of opening the accounts for me. I could probably get more accounts opened in future if I was shut down and needed it to generate more income. So yeah, I don't want to rely on it because I don't know when technology might make the bookies better at their job or better at synching the markets up with each other, but in the short term it's likely I'll continue to make money. I have two friends who consistently make 6 figure incomes from this and have for years, they have a lot more skill than me though, I am mainly just looking for pricing discrepancies and taking advantage of promos. I was avoiding going into all of this as I know it can sound far fetched to people not exposed to it but I assure you I have no reason to exaggerate anything, I am here for advice so it would be counter-productive to make stuff up. I also have been profitable in my life time from poker, quite consistently and over a long period of time, and this is because in poker after the house takes their cut (rake) the remaining 90% or so of the money is in the pool for the players to compete to take a share, and frankly most people are terrible at poker and just there to gamble and play in ways that make no mathematical sense.

Someone mentioned that it makes no sense for me to have so little in retirement fund, assets etc, not entirely sure why that's relevant but I'll give a quick run down. In my 20's I worked for a few businesses that did not pay my superannuation (retirement contribution in Australia), I also took two years off work to play poker professionally in which time I made $50,000USD profit (a few hundred to a few thousand every month, didn't have my first losing month until almost two years in, I was playing low stakes 40-60 hours a week online) which kept up with the rent and bills etc but I didn't save anything, in fact I never had more than about $5,000 saved at any time in my life until my late 20's. In my late 20's I got engaged, bought a house, and a few years later ended that relationship because I was bored with her, sold the house and we split the money, and I went to work in Fiji for a couple of years. I had the best time over there socially, dated some amazing women, and had an absolute blast. After a few years of that I decided to come back to Australia with only about $20,000USD to my name. I came back with an aim to make money fast and buy a house. In that two years I worked hard and earned good money, I also made a lot on the side from sportsbetting and from poker and built my 4 bedroom home 3 months ago. I'm renting out the rooms while living there to keep my costs down. I actually quit my job 3 months ago as well because I didn't like some of the things happening there. In the last three months I have just been playing poker and going to the gym, I plan on spending the next 3 months doing the same. I have the money to do this without putting myself under too much pressure and I have decided that getting in the best shape of my life is an investment more important than the extra money I could be making. Hopefully this all makes sense, everything in this post and my opening post is 100% accurate, it would be a waste of everyone's time if I came on here to talk nonsense. The reason I only have 35k in retirement fund is because that's all I've earned there, the time I was playing poker I contributed nothing, the time I was in Fiji contributed nothing, and the times I worked for companies which illegally didn't pay any contributed nothing, the other times in my life contributed what's there.

Some people might now ask why I decided to come back from Fiji if I liked it there and can do all this, and that would be a fair question. Firstly, Fiji is a bit more expensive than Thailand for example, secondly, I really wasn't playing a lot of poker over there, was just doing my job for income and when I eventually quit and lost that income it never occurred to me to try and sustain myself through poker, I guess with only 20k to my name it would have been too much of a risk too as I would not ever let myself become completely broke, if I'd had 100k at the time I might have tried to make it work for a year before giving up, if I needed to. Thirdly, the sportsbetting is probably more lucrative and definitely more consistent than the poker, and this is something I have focused on in the last two years. Prior to that I actually did make a little profit from it, but I hadn't actually realized just how common crazy pricing errors were available and after talking to two friends who have been crushing it for years I spent more time on it and figured a lot of stuff out that I didn't know when I was in Fiji.

Appreciate everyone's feedback thus far. I know I'll probably have to continue working although I'd prefer not to. I'm going to weigh everything up and if anyone has anything new to contribute I would appreciate hearing it, whether I agree with it or not. Thanks.

At 26, when I wanted a change, I quit my corporate job, joined the peace corps and lived in Africa for two years. With that and grad school, my saving for retirement was delayed by about five years, but I certainly never regretted the move.

At 42, I considered making another change, but decided it was better to stick it out in a job that I wasn't happy with so that I could retire at 47. (Again, I'm happy with that choice.)

I play enough poker to know that being a professional poker player is a viable career for a select few with the right skills and temperament. It's not about luck. I envy you that you are one of the few who have these skills.

I think you are in good shape to do whatever you want. Don't put your life on hold. Pro pokers have a skill that let's them make money pretty much all over the world, so why not take advantage of that?

My wife is from Ukraine. I've been there. You really don't want to live there.

No, seriously, you don't want to live there.

I don't want to rely on it because I don't know when technology might make the bookies better at their job or better at synching the markets up with each other, but in the short term it's likely I'll continue to make money.

I also have been profitable in my life time from poker, quite consistently and over a long period of time, and this is because in poker after the house takes their cut (rake) the remaining 90% or so of the money is in the pool for the players to compete to take a share, and frankly most people are terrible at poker and just there to gamble and play in ways that make no mathematical sense.

In the last three months I have just been playing poker and going to the gym, I plan on spending the next 3 months doing the same. I have the money to do this without putting myself under too much pressure and I have decided that getting in the best shape of my life is an investment more important than the extra money I could be making.

Being single, the only thing stopping you from making this move is you.

Maybe you'll be able to move to an inexpensive locale and live a happy life of sportsbetting with stupid bookies, poker with terrible innumerate players, and getting in shape on your own.

Maybe you'll find that arbitrage opportunities dry up, or you run out of friends who keep getting their accounts closed. Maybe you'll find that you are running up against others playing poker that are far more skilled than you. Maybe you'll end up in great shape but poor.

Or maybe you'll just get bored and choose to move back and pursue a more traditional life.

Either way, it's solely your choice to make. You'll find folks who are envious and folks who are scorning. But clearly the only opinion that you should consider is your own. I wish you luck (or skill or whatever).

I've got a number of friends who have made money professionally from sportsbetting and poker. If you are exploiting math variance between the various bookmakers for the sportsbetting and can't lose, or you have models that enable you to statistically outperform enough that you can take some risk and still come out ahead, it is a viable business. The people I know are extremely smart and extremely good at statistics. Poker likewise seems viable if you are consistently outperforming your local pool of players, are called in to make tables at private games where there are fish to take, consistently win tournament buys in small regional tournaments and can make the market buying and selling them. My friend who retired early off of online poker did it by building poker bots, and much of their work was figuring out how to spot and report other bots, hide their bots, cash out without the online poker sites freezing their winnings, etc.

So, I've seen it work for several different people in several different ways, but none of those are things I'm interested in, so, definitely not for me.

Just be this guy
Long before James Holzhauer racked up $1.69 million as a contestant on Jeopardy!, he made a living as a sports gambler in Las Vegas. Far from a traditional occupation of most contestants, Holzhauer has spent the last 12 years bankrolling his life with bets on MLB home run titles and college football futures.

MS: Do you have any other jobs, or are you fully a sports gambler right now?

JH: The last real job I had I was 16-years-old slinging fried chicken in my hometown of Naperville, Ill.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2019/05/14/jeopardy-james-holzhauer-interview-sports-gambling

I actually don’t see this as any different than how you have lived your life so far. If it’s what you want and the way you want to live your life go for it.

I think it’s the opposite of most people on this forum but it’s your life.

I did it from age 35-38 where after getting laid off, I bounced around between Hawaii, China, HK, Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia, Brazil, Panama, Costa Rica then landed in Argentina. I did have one part time gig that paid alot in China (3 months), but mostly I kept my expenses low. Did some day trading that did bring in some income. Purchased a round to world biz class ticket, but only made it as far as Argentina before meeting my future wife. I had the time of my life, massively fun experience and I met the love of my life. At the time my NW was about $450K.

Settled down at 38 back in the USA, married, first kid at 40, second one at 42. Working like a DOG...but that wanderlust time in my life was priceless! The only regret now is at 51 yo I am one of if not THE oldest Dad in my kids grades school. Kids are only 8 and 10 so I have along way to go before they are out of the house. Financially I am well off, but with my kids so young I don't feel right hanging it up right now, so I'll continue to work for the next 5 years or so.

I think you should pull the trigger and get out in the world. It's a big, wonderful world with beautiful places to see and experience.

I did it from age 35-38 where after getting laid off, I bounced around between Hawaii, China, HK, Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia, Brazil, Panama, Costa Rica then landed in Argentina. I did have one part time gig that paid alot in China (3 months), but mostly I kept my expenses low. Did some day trading that did bring in some income. Purchased a round to world biz class ticket, but only made it as far as Argentina before meeting my future wife. I had the time of my life, massively fun experience and I met the love of my life. At the time my NW was about $450K.

Settled down at 38 back in the USA, married, first kid at 40, second one at 42. Working like a DOG...but that wanderlust time in my life was priceless! The only regret now is at 51 yo I am one of if not THE oldest Dad in my kids grades school. Kids are only 8 and 10 so I have along way to go before they are out of the house. Financially I am well off, but with my kids so young I don't feel right hanging it up right now, so I'll continue to work for the next 5 years or so.

I think you should pull the trigger and get out in the world. It's a big, wonderful world with beautiful places to see and experience.

Amazing story! Amazing life!

Kudos to you

one of my all-time favorite quotes

"Nothing Great in Life is easy." Period. If you want greatness, you gotta work for it! I would not do this...if I were you.

My 38 year old son had a dream of going to Vietnam to teach English and math. He has been there a year and loves it. His plan is to stay a few more years.

i agree. Dropping out of the USA in the prime of your life carries high risk. You lower your risk if you start a teaching career in another country. Vietnam is super cheap so you can live like a king provided you have a source of local income and not totally rely on your life's savings.

In USA, teachers appear to be treated like dirt. However, in Asia, teachers are treated with higher respect because of the Chinese's influence in that the teacher has superior knowledge and the Asian students are taught to listen to wisdom.

Wealthy Asian parents pay big bucks to a private teacher/tutor so their child can get into the better colleges. Any teaching experience/credentials is a plus.

One of my flute students from 10 years ago graduated from college in 2015 with an education degree, and joined the Peace Corp in Thailand. In the Peace Corps, you help others, learn the language, get paid, and provide a service, often teaching kids English My student...well she hasn't returned yet, as she loves it there.

Consider the Peace Corps. You work for two years, are provided housing and a stipend. You learn the language and culture. It's true, this is work. But it looks good on a resumé if you change your mind and return. You won't lose financially, and it gives you time to see the country and the culture.

If you you were bored with your most recent significant other, maybe examine if that was actually boredom with your life, or if you were lazy in your choice. Course correct next time.

Don’t confuse boredom with life and boredom with SO.

If you really were bored with the SO, keep looking for a life companion. It may be the deepest purpose and comfort in your life, which you cannot appreciate until later.

Have you figured out that the first couple of years of any relationship is just a prelude to the real thing? The real thing is a shared life, the good but especially the bad. It’s hard to put into words what this is until you have experienced it.

Examine why you don’t like having a job. Entry level jobs are often hazing exercises as test and prep for providing actual value in mid and end of career. The serious money/commercial world is largely dominated by large corporate teams, and free lancers face impossible odds against rising above hand to mouth subsistence outside these systems. Corporations are actually gangs, and you need to be part of a big, tough gang to compete.

Learning to meld with a team, submit to authority, often not gently administered, is a big part of growing up, and actually becoming valuable. There is a spiritual aspect of ego taming that is part of becoming fully human. As one very high flying official said in a workshop, you have to find your crowd, your level of organization, a job that challenges your abilities.

Late twenties is decision time for settling in to a path to create an adult income stream, begin and dial up a flight path to financial independence, at some age, and start dating girls who are prospective lifetime partners.

My value system is to have no drama with marriage, career and investments, but entertain myself with crazy **** around the edges of that.

You can have a wild bad ass time with the right girl, the right job, the right investment approach, and completely open up, retire, after a couple of decades if you do it right.

Imagine you're 36 years old, single, no kids, and you just wanted to drop everything and go somewhere cheap (Thailand, Argentina, Ukraine for example) to start a new life. Imagine you don't have anywhere near enough to retire on, but would scrape together about 100K (USD) if you sold your house and maybe another 35 or so in a retirement fund, and that you really didn't want to work any more to earn more even though you know it would be a safer and smarter way of doing things. Imagine you've made about $50,000 profit from sportsbetting and $15,000 from poker in the last two years and while you cannot guarantee that those sorts of numbers would continue you realize that there is a decent chance that year on year you'd be able to record some sort of profit at the very least. What would you do?

Would you go back to work and save some more and aim to retire at age 40? 45? 50?

Would you save money so that you could travel without selling the house, rent the house out and put in the difference needed to keep up with the mortgage so that you benefit long term from increases in equity and then live off the rental return once the house is paid off in 30 years time?

Would you sell the house and take the money overseas and chill out trying to make enough to live off from poker and sportsbetting with an aim to simply return home if you lose more than half of your money and then maintain that lifestyle forever if you can make more than you spend? (which is reasonably likely based on past results but certainly not guaranteed)

Would you do something completely different?

One of the reasons I'd rather leave sooner rather than later is that it's a dream that can only be realized while single, right now I am! If I stay here and get in a relationship it'll be harder to follow through, and staying single for 5-10 years would get boring. I've been single for the last two years focused on getting to where I am now, and even another two years seems like a long time even though realistically it won't be less than that.

To help you answer. I don't need to live a life of luxury but have no intention of roughing it either. I think in most of the countries I'm interested in I could get by on about 1.5k USD a month based on my research. I think that's realistic anyway, could spend a little less if pushed and would spend a bit more if it felt safe to do so.

If anyone takes the time to write a helpful answer I'll be very appreciative.

I've met many people who say that Ecuador is the cheapest place to retire, and that it has good cheap health care.

You can have a wild bad ass time with the right girl, the right job, the right investment approach, and completely open up, retire, after a couple of decades if you do it right.
Wow, that's a goal to aspire to. I'm quite certain I don't know anyone who's succeeded in all of these!

Wow, that's a goal to aspire to. I'm quite certain I don't know anyone who's succeeded in all of these!

Well, with maturity, you realize there is no need to rush away
from a somewhat traditional lifestyle that is fun, and of course, children would severely affect timing.

I know this one very energetic fellow well credentialed, good career velocity, substantial real estate side hustles, he finally figured out to filter dating to girls who could keep up with him in every aspect.

Rather than early retirement, they are constructing a thrilling, sustainable life. They are in the middle of an early mid life gap year, travelling the world. Living out of a camper van in New Zealand this month. Their jobs are waiting for them upon return.

They say to know the best in life you gotta know the worst. You're a mark and you're going to get your clock cleaned, but to each his own. Sell the house while you still can, stick the dough in a high yield account, move to a cheap studio and work the job till the recession hits and you get laid off. Make your sports book and save as much as you can till it hits the fan. Personally I'd rather day trade options. I fif that when I was in China. At least playing the market you will actually get paid. Get your passport in order. When the recession hits pack your bag sell the car buy a ticket and split for the coast. You can probably collect unemployment for a few months till they cut you off. Don't forget to pay your taxes if you ever plan on coming back. Interest starts compounding immediately. You seem to think bookies and card games world wide are going to be fair. It's heads I win, tails I win what you gonna do about it white boy? There's 6 of us and one of you. Keep a diary starting today, probably make a possible book.

@PlusEV - As someone who invests what many here would consider the percentage of my net worth that I allocate to speculative investments as "bad" I'd say go for it with one recommendation. Make sure you are tracking, in detail, your wins/losses so you can see if you can reduce failures over time and increase your percentages of success. Have done this with my speculative investments in a spreadsheet at first and it has helped me identify patterns of failure and reduce them in future decisions.

To add to the echo chamber of it is your life go do it I say carry on :)

Back
Top Bottom