Ready to pull the trigger, I think

I ran the lifetime planner on msmoney, as you suggested. I showed DW the difference between the two lines (about 100k) at age 90 and told her that's what they call the "price of happiness". She got a chuckle out of that. We both agreed that whatever is left at that point the nursing home will wind up getting anyway, so what's the difference if it's 200k or 300k. I think her comfort level has improved.

I'm glad it worked out. When is your last day? :D

Am I missing something huge?

I'm fairly new here but is there even a hint of a "need" to work another day, given his numbers?

Of course as a fellow trout fisherman I'm anxious to find the answer and apply to my own ER ...

I already told her I would be her "domestic goddess". Cooking, cleaning, housework would be a welcome change for me. I'm kind of a neat freak anyway and would welcome the opportunity to show what I could do around the house if I had the time. Also, I think my many years of teasing her about her having Summers off has instilled a little latent guilt in her. I know, I should be ashamed.:blush:

So, I do think wife's hesitancy is financial. She has always relied on me to manage the finances and says she's fine as long as we can maintain the lifestyle, not that there's that much of a lifestyle to maintain. Still, it's hard to get her to understand that there are no guarantees in that regard...too many variables no matter how well you plan.

As for cutting it close, I would add that many years of LBYM has resulted in a low maintenance lifestyle. I am quite content with a simple life. I have no interest in expensive toys or exotic vacations. Puttering around the house (about 20 acres to maintain), doing a little fishing (several world class trout streams within an hour's drive), playing a little golf (lifetime membership at the local club already paid for), and enjoying simple pleasures is about all I aspire to right now. I also currently serve on some local government committees and believe I could expand my commitment to public service in the community if I felt the need to contribute more to society.

Ah, the "simple pleasures" of golf and trout fishing, the two most challenging, life-sustaining, and glorious of all pursuits.

Not sure where you live, but if it helps make your decision I plan to be catching all the trout from Monday-Friday while you're at work.

I say go for it.

If you want to make a little money in a side hustle maybe that's a good solution but doesn't sound like it's really needed unless that interests you.

I'm glad it worked out. When is your last day? :D

I'm just going to play it cool for now and see what develops. Just knowing that I can pick the day has relieved a lot of the stress. If I get up one day and decide I'd rather just not do this anymore, I'll give my two weeks notice. Until then, I'll just work on my schedule at my pace until someone objects. I left early on Friday to get 18 in with DW, and I'm doing the same tomorrow for my 55th birthday. If there's a nice day this summer and I decide I want to do that, I'm going to until someone tells me I can't. That's when I'll know when my last day is. If I make it until 1/1/17, I get another year's 401k contribution and 5 1/2 weeks vacation pay. If not, so be it.

Was talking with an acquaintance the other day about the merger and mentioned how I was thinking about taking the rest of my life off. He said "well, you can't do that, not with three kids in college". I just nodded and smiled.

Was talking with an acquaintance the other day about the merger and mentioned how I was thinking about taking the rest of my life off. He said "well, you can't do that, not with three kids in college". I just nodded and smiled.[/QUOTE]

The acquaintance is now in rehab following quintuple bypass just after Memorial Day. Not even 65 yrs old.

Really rethinking whether I even want to try to stick this out until 2017.

Also, my brother just died on May 24th at age 58. Heart attack. Was a diabetic who never was able to get it under control. Really makes you think about what's important.

I'm just going to play it cool for now and see what develops. Just knowing that I can pick the day has relieved a lot of the stress. If I get up one day and decide I'd rather just not do this anymore, I'll give my two weeks notice. Until then, I'll just work on my schedule at my pace until someone objects. I left early on Friday to get 18 in with DW, and I'm doing the same tomorrow for my 55th birthday. If there's a nice day this summer and I decide I want to do that, I'm going to until someone tells me I can't. That's when I'll know when my last day is. If I make it until 1/1/17, I get another year's 401k contribution and 5 1/2 weeks vacation pay. If not, so be it.

Was talking with an acquaintance the other day about the merger and mentioned how I was thinking about taking the rest of my life off. He said "well, you can't do that, not with three kids in college". I just nodded and smiled.

That's the spirit! Condolences on the loss of your brother.

Also, my brother just died on May 24th at age 58. Heart attack. Was a diabetic who never was able to get it under control. Really makes you think about what's important.

Sorry for your loss. My brother passed in his 50's and yes, it does make you think about what's important. I retired 9 years ago in my early 50's, no regrets what so ever. Hard to believe I've been retired that long. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom