reluctantly FIRE'd @ 56

I can relate to getting worse and the frustration that comes with that. As others have mentioned though, golf is such a great social event maybe you can take some lessons or something with the extra cash?

Thanks for the input. Yes golf is a great game, no question. Lessons could help...I have what's referred to as a "strong" grip which is probably a detriment to consistent play. I'd imagine it would be difficult to change at this late stage.

I had a lot of good golf friends that fell by the wayside when I gave up the game, to the point I've become a bit socially isolated. It's another problem that's been exacerbated by retirement.

Nothing wrong with a strong grip.

"Many pros use a strong grip on the PGA Tour. Dustin Johnson, Tiger Woods, Zach Johnson, and Bubba Watson are all known to use a strong grip. Compare this to the time of Jack Nicklaus when a more neutral grip was the predominant grip style on tour."

A gent I know who loves golf but really can’t golf much anymore loves having a part time job at the pro shop. And he does not need the money.

I have a retired friend who does tax prep for seniors and also works health care open season for seniors... a little late for this year but something to work toward for next year as doubtless training is required.

Then there is health care Omubudman where you advocate for residents in long-term care facilities. The program does require training but it is managed through your state. They NEED help.

I regret retiring after 42 years of police work..If you like your job hang on to it..

True!!!
I loved my job but only so many days here on earth. My time was worth more to me than the paycheck.

A tough decision to make but I love my new life and job as well as the one I had for 37 years.

I'm also boss all day long now.

My daughter and I were discussing this tonight. She was asking why I didn't just go part time for another year as I like my job and am making a difference. I can see doing that or staying on because the work is meaningful and you enjoy it. For me, and it is a personal decision, I worked my whole life to get to this point. To have interests I want to spend more time on, to be able to maintain our same lifestyle.

For me, to keep working after I can afford to not comfortably with margin would mean I fear failing retirement. I can see the other perspective and did extend a couple of times to make everything easier on everyone along a set of work related milestones. I moved it 6 months without being asked and they have told me how appreciative they are of me.

There are engineers at my company with 50+years in their mid to late 70'd who really enjoy their job and it brings meaning to them. They told me they don't know what else they would do if they retired other than wait to die

I can see that perspective, but for me and what and who I want to become in my next phase, that doesnt make sense.

Again, very personal decision and a unique one for everyone. There is no right answer, only what is right for you

If you don’t know what you are retiring to, then don’t leave your job.
Some see an entirely different life ahead of them and move on.

If you don’t know what you are retiring to, then don’t leave your job.
Some see an entirely different life ahead of them and move on.

Agree, but sometimes it is difficult to know in advance and one just needs to give oneself abundant free time for a year or two or the new patterns to emerge. Stay alert, positive, curious, presentable and interested in life, and new interests are bound to come along.

Like the OP, I left voluntarily, too, also during Covid, and I’m also 56. I enjoyed doing nothing for several months, but then I started exploring ideas for small time money-making hobbies, which were fun, and let me consume podcasts at the same time. Next came some consulting opportunities in my old field, so it looks like after 18 months, I’m motivated again and getting back into the swing, which I wouldn’t have predicted.

As a retired executive, perhaps you'd like to volunteer your services with the Service Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE), a nonprofit whose members provide mentorship to beginning entrepreneurs and other business owners. Your knowledge/expertise can still serve.

Stay alert, positive, curious, presentable and interested in life, and new interests are bound to come along.

Like the OP, I left voluntarily, too, also during Covid, and I’m also 56.

I like this, thanks.

I didn't mean to suggest that I left voluntarily, my job was eliminated. Yes, I was encouraged to apply for a new position but honestly I don't think I would have landed the new role (I'd have been competing with my boss who is way more qualified). Had I applied & continued my employment I'd have been responsible for supervising additional people & the job had become less enjoyable due to Covid. The company will NOT be going back to what it was even if the virus disappears.

Even though I feel financially secure, I'd have stayed on indefinitely. The job was easy for me and I liked most of my clients. The truth is I might not have ever pulled the trigger on retirement if the decision wasn't made for me.

Unemployment is really low where I am, I think my New Years' resolution needs to be to find a part-time gig.

Congrats! Don’t stress you will find new interests to fill your days. Try to learn a new language or 2. Really keeps the brain working and great for international travel. I quite like Duolingo but here good things about Linq too. Then do some international travel or try living in a new place for a couple of months.

Nothing wrong with a strong grip.

"Many pros use a strong grip on the PGA Tour. Dustin Johnson, Tiger Woods, Zach Johnson, and Bubba Watson are all known to use a strong grip. Compare this to the time of Jack Nicklaus when a more neutral grip was the predominant grip style on tour."

You saved me a post.

I had a really good lesson last year and the pro told me the same ("nothing wrong with strong grip"). He focused on where the ball was in my stance and that my head was moving/swaying and voila - I hit it straight.

A still head through the whole golf swing is a large item for me.

Back
Top Bottom