Retired for the 4th (or is it 5th?) time

papaof2

Recycles dryer sheets
I took early retirement at 55 but work just kept falling into my lap: back to original company as a contractor, software development for a couple of start-up companies, some web development for the military. More than 10 years later, my time is mostly my own. I miss the money that came from sources other than the IRA, but not being awakened by an alarm clock every day can be seen as a perk ;-)

I'm currently working with a long-time acquaintance on an autonomous system that *might* have application in law enforcement and the military. The hardware is on his nickel and any payment I get will likely be part ownership in the company. I'm not holding my breath - this isn't his first Grand Idea that was either not quite what the market wanted or a year or two late. However, I am getting to explore some interesting bits of current technology: microprocessors, postage stamp-sized GPS receiver, fingernail-sized digital compass, etc.

John

John,

Good for you. I followed a somewhat similar path when I retired at 54 and subsequently went back to work, retired again and then went back again. I am going to pull the plug early next year, hopefully for good this time:D.

Also, doing something you love in retirement that can provide a little coin is also nice; good luck with it.

I don't think I would ever retire if I worked with the interesting gizmos that you do. So if you enjoy it, keep doing it. But when it becomes a pita, then retire again. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom