Retirement Notice

burkey

Dryer sheet wannabe
His website gave me the courage to give my retirement notice after 34 years of service. Retiring in Feb. of 2013 with 35 years of service and at 58 years old. Not sure yet whether or not I will do something to generate income on a part time basis, but appreciate the many threads I have read.

Hi Burkey. You've given 11 months notice? That's more than most give. Any reason?

Congratulations. I expect the coming months should be much more palatable in the workplace now that you have an ER date in the near future to look forward to.

Michael B. that is a great question I have received from a couple of confidants. I have a unique role with a large global company. Not that I am that critical, but I have been in this role for 15 years, and the CEO asked that if I can, allow my successor to shadow me for 6-8 months. By the time they name someone, the cycle for a smooth transition would be about a year. The company payed all of my tuition for night school undergrad and executive MBA, and although I know I don't owe them anything, I wanted to honor their request.

Congratulations. I expect the coming months should be much more palatable in the workplace now that you have an ER date in the near future to look forward to.
+1
Michael B. that is a great question I have received from a couple of confidants. I have a unique role with a large global company. Not that I am that critical, but I have been in this role for 15 years, and the CEO asked that if I can, allow my successor to shadow me for 6-8 months. By the time they name someone, the cycle for a smooth transition would be about a year. The company payed all of my tuition for night school undergrad and executive MBA, and although I know I don't owe them anything, I wanted to honor their request.

Thanks for answering. That is a good way to phase out and also a nice example of an effort to show some respect and loyalty by all involved. Hope it works as intended. Make sure to keep us posted.

That is a good way to phase out and also a nice example of an effort to show some respect and loyalty by all involved. Hope it works as intended. Make sure to keep us posted.
+1. I gave 7 months notice and retired at 57 last summer after 34½ years of service, sounds real familiar.

Congrats Burkey, hope your final months at present career and the next chapter in your life are all you're hoping for...

Last edited:
burkey said:

I too gave nine months notice, not at the request of employer but rather to give my colleagues a break by giving my employer ample time to hire and train my replacement. They got around to hiring him two weeks before I left. C'est la vie! Welcome!

I'm eligible to retire in 9 months, and since my new supervisor is really turning out to be a pain in the azz, I'm not so sure I'm going to give any notice at all!

Oops....since I do have my real pic, name and location on here, perhaps I should consider not leaving this post up.... You never know who might be lurking on a forum....lol.

Last edited:

+1

I found that the stress level dropped noticeably once I informed the boss I was leaving. I gave 4 months notice (but ended up working 8). I no longer had to pretend that I cared about a "personal development" plan or next year's regular planning cycle.

amen, and appreciate all the comments. forgot to mention to Michael B. there is a financial consideration for hanging until February. Wouldn't kill me if I didn't get it, but the combination of that and a boss I really respect, caused me to give so much notice. Will be interesting when they hire a successor. He or she will probably be sick of me in no time.

amen, and appreciate all the comments. forgot to mention to Michael B. there is a financial consideration for hanging until February. Wouldn't kill me if I didn't get it, but the combination of that and a boss I really respect, caused me to give so much notice. Will be interesting when they hire a successor. He or she will probably be sick of me in no time.

I also gave many months notice. I really liked my boss and my colleagues, and I quite enjoyed the hand-over period.

Mind you, the last few weeks were like being a kid again waiting for Christmas Day. Lots of sleepless nights. Very strange.

I'm eligible to retire in 9 months, and since my new supervisor is really turning out to be a pain in the azz, I'm not so sure I'm going to give any notice at all!

Oops....since I do have my real pic, name and location on here, perhaps I should consider not leaving this post up.... You never know who might be lurking on a forum....lol.

Marty, see me in the office in the morning. 8am sharp. The boss. :D

I gave about 6 months of verbal notice and three months of written, official notice. I wanted my principal to have plenty of time to plan on whom to hire for what position. I seem to be the last of a dying breed that teaches multiple subjects. The requirement to test, test test and not fail, fail, fail is pushing teachers to specialize in one subject.

Well, the school board has accepted my retirement. So, I am that much closer to joining your folks as a legal member. Of course, had they not accepted my retirement then I guess they would have ------ locked me in the classroom:confused:

Last edited:
Last week DH gave his VP his verbal notice, but will not put his written, 90 day notice in until the end of May. He wears two specialized hats and he wanted to give his VP extra time to figure out what the heck she's going to do to facilitate a smooth transition.

I gave 4 months notice and very soon after my stress levels went down. I noticed I got through the weekends without thinking about work issues. In my case the handoff was quick and easy. My employees got reassigned to other groups. The final weeks were agony because I didn't have much to do.

Back
Top Bottom