Roger R/new guy

Roger_R

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello to all. I have been a browser of the Retire Early home page for a few years years and a follower of simple living for as long. At 52 I'm probably in a position to quit work - at least by the FIRE calc. I still have some details to iron out and the posts and help I've gotten here so far are just great.

I have had two fun careers. My first was as a fishery biologist. For several years I worked with state agencies, hatcheries, and private companies to preserve certain salmonid interests. I've travelled the NW promoting fish vaccines to protect hatchery salmon from estuarine diseases, done alpine fish inventories and environmental assessments, and worked in hatcheries just raising fish. My second career has been in the beer brewing industry and I've worked for one of the big three breweries as a quality control microbiologist. If I've learned a thing or two from this, it would be to beware of making your hobby a business. and that modern American life offers so many fun opportunities you should sample more than one. My current interest as hobby and income provider is nature photography, which is notoriously low paying. But hey, I'm getting to where I don't care.

My concerns are creating a portfolio that will last a lifetime. It seems like what one would consider a huge amount of money in times gone by are now marginal in providing a decent fixed income. And covering rising health insurance and medical expenses, as I will have to self-insure or continue working.

There is one overriding thing that the working world has taught me, it is that in 100 years, it probably will not be worth worrying about, and it's probably now worth worrying about right now. Happiness starts in one's heart and properly applied can spread contagiously. This applies to beer, fish, and most money issues, but not to the doctors and technicials who will care for me in old age.

I look forward to the exchanges here!

Re:  A new approach to ER?

Anyone who can grow his own fish and brew his own beer can won't be putting a lot of stress on an ER portfolio!

But what would you do for the other two food groups?

Cutting expenses may be easier than earning/saving more money. Too many confuse frugality with deprivation & suffering, but there are many different paths to the same achievement. One of the best frugal websites is the Dollar Stretcher (http://www.stretcher.com) and one of the best reference books is a library copy of Amy Dacyczyn's "The Tightwad Gazette".

Cutting expenses may be easier than earning/saving more money. Too many confuse frugality with deprivation & suffering, but there are many different paths to the same achievement. One of the best frugal websites is the Dollar Stretcher (http://www.stretcher.com) and one of the best reference books is a library copy of Amy Dacyczyn's "The Tightwad Gazette".

I have seen interviews with this Amy Dacyczyn about 10 years ago. In my humble opinion her lifstyle was Deprivation & Suffering - She bordered on a truly Sick Individual.

I've dabbled in the gormet coffess, but as of late have found that Maxwell House serves me just fine and saves some money.

As for the final food group, the doc has told me to loose 20 pounds of ugly fat with out cutting off my head.  So I am currently on the chocolate patch.

Simple livng is different and relative for each of us.  For me it is more like living the way folks did 40 years ago, but not 100. DOn't eat out much, drive a cheap old car, bicycle for transportation sometimes, and live in a smaller house.

So I am currently on the chocolate patch.

Oh NO! Anything but THAT! That's real deprivation! Maybe a carrot & lettuce (and CHOCOLATE!) diet would work out instead. Check with your doctor, or just write a book about it instead. Yesterday's wacky becomes tomorrow's accepted, so start writing today, then there's hope for the day after tomorrow ;)

About economic deprivation, I liked Intercst's comment on the guy that thought he could retire solely on a fixed income. That was back in 1967, and a report of later years had the guy's income down really bad vs. today's expenses. He was reduced to living in a commune with a bunch of other guys, and washing off tin foil and saran wrap. :p

Re:  A new approach to ER?

Pizza and twinkies?

You do realize there is a potential juxtaposition of careers in salmon flavored beer?

Dietwise, I'd recommend a read of Dean Ornish's "Eat more, weigh less". I've used this sustainable diet before and lost quite a bit of weight on it, and my girlfriend and I are on it now and slowly losing a few pounds. In essence its the "anti atkins" diet, no meat, no fat, all carbs and vegetables. It includes an excellent overview of how your body processes food and reacts to different food types, and some very tasty recipes.

My girlfriend was a confirmed chocoholic, but since going on the diet she says she has no interest in snacks. Steady blood sugar is the key there.

Its an easy diet to follow, there are about 5 things you should avoid eating, and another 5-6 things you should eat in small quantities. Other than those 10 things, eat as much of everything else you want.

This style of cooking takes more time in shopping and preparation, but that happens to be what we ER'ers have plenty of...and eating this way is dirt cheap.

Re:  Amy Dacyczyn's obsessed, not sick.

Cut-Throat,

While I'd hate to be one of Amy D's kids, she wrote the most researched & thorough frugal-lifestyle book I've ever seen.

I don't use every word in the English language, but when I want a good dictionary I use Merriam-Webster's or the Oxford. And when I want to know more about frugal living, I use The Tightwad Gazette. I don't think I'll be rinsing out aluminum foil or plastic bags on their own drying racks, but she's saved me plenty on insurance, clothing, storage, and food costs.

And it fills me with pride to hear my kid tell all the other kids that she found her new Bongo shorts (insert your high-priced kid clothes here) at Goodwill...

While I'd hate to be one of Amy D's kids, she wrote the most researched & thorough frugal-lifestyle book I've ever seen.

Yeah, I probably agree with you here. I should not throw the baby out with the bathwater. I should at least look through the book for some tips.

When I saw her on a talk show and she was describing her money saving ideas, it so turned me off that I have never given it much thought. Ideas such as filling empty jelly jars with water and making Kool aid for the kids! - Yuck ! Double Yuck !

I just find it hard to listen to anyone like that! - I'll hold my nose and get the book.

Back
Top Bottom