sink or swim - FIRE 4 years early

Ole Red 29

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello all. I am 58 and DW is 53. I wasn't planning on retiring for another 4 years, but I accepted an early retirement package in March. I have always monitored our finances (accumulation phase) and was pretty confident we would have a comfortable retirement, but since I didn't expect to retire for 4 years, there are many things I had not prepared for yet (withdrawal phase). I have many questions and am spending a lot of time on this forum looking for answers. Since it is all new to me, I am concerned about what I don't know on this topic.

My numbers are:

$x.xm pretax (edited at poster's request)
$x.xm post tax (edited at poster's request)

75% equities
No debt
No kids at home
$x.x/yr budget (edited)

I've ran the FIRE calc and seem to be fine.

My current plan is:

Live off of post tax accounts while converting pretax accounts to Roth (to minimize RMD taxes) while staying in 24% tax bracket. Also currently plan to take SS at 70 unless drastic things happen and I need the money earlier. Will probably slowly reduce my equity position to be less market sensitive.

I am learning more every day from reading this forum (like the need to pay quarterly taxes) and realize I will continue to change my plan the more I read and understand things.

I appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts and experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're golden as far as finances but you knew that.

I would focus on draining pre-tax accounts. Roth conversions until 59 1/2.... withdrawals after that. The benefit of post-tax equities is that you get a stepped up basis in whole or in part when one of you passes depending on how the accounts are titled and whether or not you live in a community property state... effectively making some unrealized gains tax-free.

Once you are eligible for penalty free withdrawals, you can pay your estimated taxes by doing a tIRA withdrawal and having 99% of it withheld... the benefit is that the IRS considers withholding as made evenly throughout the year even if it is done in December.

Congratulations and enjoy your newfound freedom!

Swimming easily (or just floating) down the river!

I would also join Bogleheads.org and post for portfolio review to get another opinion, not that you need one.

But at 2.5% withdrawal you should be good.

I would be at 50/50 allocation but that's me as a moderate conservative investor.

Back
Top Bottom