Soon to be free

I Yam What I Yam

Dryer sheet wannabe
I've been a long time lurker. In a little over a month I will be free from the megacorp life at the age of 51. My wife left the rat race in 2020.

My wife and I have been super savers since we first invested in 1995. In our last year where we both were employed (2019), our living expenses were roughly 15% of our gross income (excluding taxes). Our tax rate was around 23% so that ate up a good chunk of change. This year was an experiment for us as we decided to invest my salary, treat it as if it didn't exist, and do a practice run by living off the dividends and interest from our brokerage accounts. Our 2021 spending (including taxes) looks to be about 1% of our portfolio so it doesn't appear money will be an issue for the future. Our biggest expense is medical insurance and the second biggest is travel. We recently blowed that dough and paid cash to have our house built on some property we owned. While we could have made more $$$$ if we got a mortgage and invested the money, there was some peace of mind for my wife to have the house paid for. One thing I have learned over the years is the math is important, but peace of mind sometimes dictates we deviate from the path laid out by the math. In fact, the mental aspect of money and retirement is one of the most interesting aspects to me. If you have any good books around this topic, please let me know.

Our plan is to primarily live off the dividends and interest from our brokerage accounts which are about 60% of our portfolio. We also plan to start some IRA conversions to a Roth as my wife is older than I am and we don't want to get a big tax surprise due to RMDs as they will kick us up a tax bracket.

I'm excited to be able to enjoy the freedom that comes along with retirement. I have grand plans for volunteering and travel. In fact, we have 4 cruises scheduled through the end of 2022. We also plan to start more day trips and weekend trips to discover more of this beautiful country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum!

And congrats. 4 cruises, wow starting off with a bang.

Sounds like you guys are in good shape.

Good for you!. In our first year we did 3 cruises, two trips to see my mother, and a Thanksgiving train trip We did 50 days of travel BTD!!!

Congratulations on leaving the rat race so young.

There are some great deals out there on cruises as they're trying to jump start the industry with some great deals.

My wife and I have been to virtually every island in the Eastern and Western Caribbean on cruises, and we've taken three repositioning cruises--two to Europe.

We've been to so many cruises that we've lost count, and we no longer cruise out of the U.S. We've booked a May, 2022 cruise back to Scandinavia and St. Petersburg. We still would like to go back to the Greek Isles and Turkey.

It sounds as if 2022 is going to be a great travel year for you.

Congratulations on leaving the rat race so young.

There are some great deals out there on cruises as they're trying to jump start the industry with some great deals.

My wife and I have been to virtually every island in the Eastern and Western Caribbean on cruises, and we've taken three repositioning cruises--two to Europe.

We've been to so many cruises that we've lost count, and we no longer cruise out of the U.S. We've booked a May, 2022 cruise back to Scandinavia and St. Petersburg. We still would like to go back to the Greek Isles and Turkey.

It sounds as if 2022 is going to be a great travel year for you.

Thanks! We look at our cruises weekly and see if the cost has decreased. For our September cruise we had almost $600 in OBC between the shareholder benefit and the price drop. For our December 2021 cruise we have already received $600 back.

We've been mainly to the Western Caribbean but have also done a cruise out of Singapore and two on the Pride of America around the Hawaiian islands. Assuming things continue to improve on the COVID front we will be doing a transpacific and Australia cruise next year. Haven't made it to the Greek Isles or Scandinavia yet. They are on the bucket list though.

Welcome to the forum!

And congrats. 4 cruises, wow starting off with a bang.

Sounds like you guys are in good shape.

Thank you! We took advantage of the lower cost and the fact some cruise lines are giving double points. That saves us money if we reach some of the higher loyalty tiers on our favorite cruise line.

Back
Top Bottom