SS...help!

Smcmasters

Confused about dryer sheets
This is the first post for me, but I have been reading the great information on this site for quite some time.

Question: My spouse is 64 (born after 1/1/1954 which seems to be a critical date in how SS works) and I am 47. We began drawing his SS at age 62 for several reasons I won’t go into. His SS in about 1/2 of what mine will be (assuming it’s still viable when I’m ready to draw). I was reading something that lead me to be concerned that drawing his SS before full retirement age may have a negative impact on my ability to select my SS as primary at my full retirement age. Does anyone know how this works?

This is the first post for me, but I have been reading the great information on this site for quite some time.

Question: My spouse is 64 (born after 1/1/1954 which seems to be a critical date in how SS works) and I am 47. We began drawing his SS at age 62 for several reasons I won’t go into. His SS in about 1/2 of what mine will be (assuming it’s still viable when I’m ready to draw). I was reading something that lead me to be concerned that drawing his SS before full retirement age may have a negative impact on my ability to select my SS as primary at my full retirement age. Does anyone know how this works?

His decision to start benefits at 62 has no effect on your ability to start your benefits at your Full Retirement Age.

The fact that his benefits are less than yours also means that there is no impact on your survivor benefits, should he pass first. Should you pass first, he would receive a higher benefit though.

No need to be concerned here. There is no impact.

Your benefit will be based on your earnings record and time of application. Survivor benefits will be based on the high earner and will not change due to his early claiming.

Back
Top Bottom