Forum Update - We're back! Ask your questions here.

Thanks, I prefer the "What's New" as it shows the latest, but not all, but that is OK.

I'm confused! You asked for a list of the 25 most recent threads.

The "Latest Posts" section of the "What's New" page is a list of the 10 most recent threads, including both read and unread.
The first page of "New Posts" is a list of the 25 most recent threads. The default is unread, but you can change that to include both read and unread.

On my screen, the first 10 items on "New Posts" are exactly the same as "What's New", so I'm not understanding what you see as the difference between these two lists other than New Posts has 25 items on it instead of 10.

Dark mode/theme preference for the forum?

My browser extension that toggles light/dark doesn't work with with the new forum...forum posts are blinding.

I'm confused! You asked for a list of the 25 most recent threads.

The "Latest Posts" section of the "What's New" page is a list of the 10 most recent threads, including both read and unread.
The first page of "New Posts" is a list of the 25 most recent threads. The default is unread, but you can change that to include both read and unread.

On my screen, the first 10 items on "New Posts" are exactly the same as "What's New", so I'm not understanding what you see as the difference between these two lists other than New Posts has 25 items on it instead of 10.
There's a difference.
The 25 New Posts don't reorder the sequence by time when you refresh.
The 10 Latest Posts do reorder when you refresh...

There's a difference.
The 25 New Posts don't reorder the sequence by time when you refresh.
The 10 Latest Posts do reorder when you refresh...

Oh that's because the query ID is saved in the URL.
Code:
https://www.early-retirement.org/whats-new/posts
which is the link I'm using, will always give you the 25 threads with the most recent posts. However, once you click on it, you get a query ID added, like:
Code:
https://www.early-retirement.org/whats-new/posts/5524/
If you use the browser refresh on that page, it just gives you the cached query results again, so it's a static link as long as query #5524 exists in the server's memory.

After I post a reply, I tend to click on New Posts, which gives me a new query ID and therefore the most current list. Or if I want to refresh the New Posts page, I just click on New Posts in the header bar instead of using the browser's refresh button and that does the same thing.

I've not yet found how to quote when replying. There used to be a button for that. If there's only an icon now, it's invisble to those with images turned off.

I've not yet found how to quote when replying. There used to be a button for that. If there's only an icon now, it's invisble to those with images turned off.
I long press the +quote label at the bottom of your post to open a new reply window ..

Just hit the Reply button in the post you're replying to. It automatically quotes it.

As far as I can tell, those alerts stay in perpetuity. Once you see them they are no longer highlighted, only the unseen ones are highlighted.
Gotcha!!! Thank You SkyKing1.
I am used to how one other site I visit you can get rid of all those Alerts when you click on Read.

I can't seem to find the equivalent of the old "User CP". Mostly IM's and "Thanks" or comments on my posts.

Gotcha!!! Thank You SkyKing1.
I am used to how one other site I visit you can get rid of all those Alerts when you click on Read.
No worries.
Ah, sure enough Reply auto quotes, ok, thanks.
Here I am demonstrating multi quotes. Hit the "+ quote" on each post you wish to reply to in one post.
When you go to the posting window below, a new button is below that "Insert quotes"
Push that button and it puts the quotes in with a space in-between to reply to each one. Makes it easy to use one post to get the job done.

I can't seem to find the equivalent of the old "User CP". Mostly IM's and "Thanks" or comments on my posts.
Click on your username upper right and what was in the old CP is links.
The ones you want are below "your content" and mostly down the left side.

Click on your username upper right and what was in the old CP is links.
The ones you want are below "your content" and mostly down the left side.
Thanks. Got it.

Wow! Nifty looking site. Just now seeing it, as we were traveling (not in the sense of being banned.:eek:).

Good work, folks!

I have some old PMs that I want to keep.

Today I sent some PMs and it works great, but I can't figure out how to delete today's PMs.
+1. I would like to know how to do this too.

+1. I would like to know how to do this too.
@bbbamI too:
Select the conversation by checking the box over near the right side of it.
down below a new toolbar appears across the bottom.
there is a menu with arrows that is labeled "select action"
Select "Leave conversation"
Hit the "go" button.
Now you have the option to allow future incoming messages in this conversation or ignore them.
Press "save"

Now it will no longer appear in your list of conversations.

I just noticed “Thank” is no longer an option. I will miss that, but I’m sure it wasn’t in the new platform.

But that doesn't allow for a message?
You can always send a PM Conversation.
Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 11.25.24.png

One interesting and a little frightening thing the new format provides-one can see how many bots are reading early-retirement.org posts. Is there anything the mods can do about that. We don't want to be tracked by bots from who knows where.

Back
Top Bottom