Started counting down 35 years ago

willywonka

Dryer sheet wannabe
[FONT=&quot]Greetings folks. I'm trying to retire this year when I get all my ducks lined up. I'm 63 in May, my wife is 55 (yes I robbed the cradle). We live near San Francisco, but we want to move to a less crowded area, probably out of state, where the cost of living is lower. Our health is quite good so far, and we're trying hard to maintain that. I've worked in high tech for 35 years as an engineer and engineering manager. I liked the the challenging problems and the pay was good. But the last 10 years have not been all that fun. Now my kids are all out of the house, their college is paid for, and I'm really ready for my next phase...I think. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here are my stats:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$995k in a 50/50 bonds/equities IRA managed by Merriman[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Health insurance provided by my former employer. I pay $437/mo[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Total monthly bills ~$3000 on average[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]House is paid for ~ $500k value[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]No other debts[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have enjoyed this forum [/FONT][FONT=&quot]immensely[/FONT][FONT=&quot] since I discovered it a few months ago. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]So glad to have you all as my mentors![/FONT]

Welcome to the Forum, willywonka. Sounds like I hear several ducks quacking already, heh, heh. Congrats on your impending retirement.

Aloha,

Koolau

Congratulations on your upcomming retirement WW! Looks like you are in good shape to FIRE right now and once SS kicks-in you will have even more breathing room (financially). Hope you and your wife enjoy the next great advanture.:greetings10:

My daughter lives in Oakland and her boyfriend works in San Fran. Almost anywhere you move will be cheaper than where you live now.

Do you want to move far away? My daughter says that she'll always be an East Coast Girl because everything is different on the west coast especially California.

Z

I wouldn't mind a big change. DW originally was firm on staying close by the pacific ocean, but now is more open. I spent a large part of my childhood in Virgina and have always missed it. We've looked at the Sierra foothills in eastern California, Oregon, and Washington.

Very true about everything being different out here. And not always in a good way. But generally people are the same. We're all just rolling along on the same big roller coaster. There is some difference between city people and people who live in rural environments though, no matter what part of the country we're talking about. I think I am more comfortable with the latter.

Last edited:
I'm from Virginia and understand why you might miss it. Your stats are similar to mine....except I'm 54 with 4 more years of savings before the BIG DAY! Just saving all I can while I can. My income needs are a bit higher than yours. Congratulations on making the decision to retire.

Back
Top Bottom