The Blog of a Man Who Plans to Retire at 37

Trust me........she WILL want to have children someday.

Zipper: Was going to respond to that young man, but at this point don't feel like piling on.  (You covered it pretty good).  With sisters, and two daughters, it is really comforting to know that there are lots of men with "broad shoulders" left in the world ;)

ex-Jarhead, not sure if I understand what you are saying. Are you suggesting that people who don't want or don't have children aren't somehow shouldering some imagined burden to continue to increase the world population? :-/

As for women not wanting children it hasn't been that uncommon an occurence in my dating days for women to have not wanted children. I can't say that 100% of them maintained that view past the point of no return but of those that I know of or still hear about through "the grapevine" I'd say about 75% or more have kept that conviction. Now it's hard to say if those who changed did so because they really changed their mind or they did so for their partners.

Uh oh. Somebody just pushed one of Jarhead's hot-buttons!

Zipper: Was going to respond to that young man, but at this point don't feel like piling on.  (You covered it pretty good).  With sisters, and two daughters, it is really comforting to know that there are lots of men with "broad shoulders" left in the world ;)ex-Jarhead, not sure if I understand what you are saying.  Are you suggesting that people who don't want or don't have children aren't somehow shouldering some imagined burden to continue to increase the world population? :-/

Hyperborea:

I am not saying that at all. Whatever works for a married couple is their business. What I was responding to was covered in his post. As i said to Zipper, I don't feel like piling on, and will leave it at that.

I just wanted to second the fact that there are plenty of women who do not want to have children. Some do change their minds, but many maintain this decision throughout their lives and do not regret it. There are also plenty of women who regret having children, but are afraid to admit. I have encountered a few who are willing to admit it. Parenting is great path for some, but not all.

Yep, here's another woman with absolutely zero interest in having kids. No, I take that back: less than zero, as I actively DON'T want to have any. Total agreement from my husband on the subject.

The human race is genetically programmed to want to have kids (weirdos like me promptly remove ourselves from the gene pool...) but there are some who don't!

Not only are we programmed to want kids, but I'm pretty sure that once we have kids, we're programmed to like them.

My wife hit the procreation panic button at 34.  I tried to convince her that we didn't need kids since we had dogs, and dogs were better in almost every way.   I lost that argument.

Now that we have a toddler, I've fallen for her hook, line, and sinker.    There's no logic to it.   I'm sure other kids are just as cute and smart, but I don't necessarily like them.

I'm still trying to understand the attachment.   There's certainly intellectual pleasure in watching the developmental process unfold.    I've always been floored by the complexity and beauty of biology, so I'm hugely fascinated by seeing the most complex being on the planet develop from a couple of single cells merging.

And I'm sure I'm proud of my contributions in raising her, both genetically and environmentally, but of course having sex wasn't much of a sacrifice, and I have no doubt that she'd turn out fine without my guiding hand.

So, I think what really happens is that some hormone kicks in that makes me take delight in what others would consider banality, and also turns me from an  easy-going pacifist to somebody who wouldn't think twice about eliminating any threat to her existence.

Biochemistry.   Really fun stuff  :)

Being a grandparent is even better. :D I take my 3 year old grandaughter to our nextdoor park and she plays as long as she wants. I watch moms and dads bring their kids for 15 minutes max, and then "the hurry up disease" calls and they're gone. Usually with the kid crying to stay! :'(

Not only are we programmed to want kids, but I'm pretty sure that

So, I think what really happens is that some hormone kicks in that makes me take delight in what others would consider banality, and also turns me from an  easy-going pacifist to somebody who wouldn't think twice about eliminating any threat to her existence.

Wab: Ah, the power of a small child. Has turned you from a pacifist to a candidate for the U.S.M.C. Raider Battalion ;)
Actually, both you and TH, in my opinion are having children at the perfect time in your life.
I have very few regrets so far in my life, but one that stands out, is when we had children, I was struggeling to make ends meet, and with job and outside business committments, didn't have the amount of time I would have liked to have had with them when they were growing up. It was my loss, not the kids, as my wife was a stay at home mother, and they had a great deal of support from her. Before I knew it they were gone.
Good to hear that you are enjoying the development of your child.
Regards, Jarhead

The lifestyle I could affor with my plan would not suit most people. But maybe I can convince some that they could easily retire by 50, for instance, and still have enough money to do what they intend to do when there are retired. As I said previously, if my figures are wrong as you seem to think they are, well, maybe I will retire a bit later, say at 39 or 42. Anyway, that would be much sooner that what I expected a few months ago (my previous "plan" was to try to retire by 55). But my goal is 37, and I am pretty confident I will succeed, even if things could happen and prevent me from doing it: me or wife loosing job, stock market crashing, etc.

Jack;

It appears that Zippy and Jarhead have given you a bums rush welcome.  You are absolutely right that the key is to get started by saving money and the way to do it is by reducing your expenses below your current income.  It is pretty difficult to predict future investment returns and future cost of living, but one thing for sure, you can't get there unless you start saving.

Please continue to post here and illigitimati non carborundum.

It's actually Non Illegitimi Carborundum. Hope you don't think me abrasive :)

John Galt

ExJarhead,
Thanks for the insightful post on having kids later in life. I'm 39, and starting a PT lifestyle next week. I like the hot weather and warm water (and waves) of Costa Rica. I don't have any kids, but I'm thinking of maybe setting up camp... and having a kid or two outside the US after a few years of PT. Anyone here ever raised kids in Central America?

Surf

I raised all of my kids in "Central America".
Lots of corn and soybeans along with good old- fashioned "Bridges of Madison County" values.

John Galt

Jack;

It appears that Zippy and Pinhead have given you a bums rush welcome.  You are absolutely right that the key is to get started by saving money and the way to do it is by reducing your expenses below your current income.  It is pretty difficult to predict future investment returns and future cost of living, but one thing for sure, you can't get there unless you start saving.

Hehe. Yes, I don't understand what I've said to deserve those replies, I did'nt mean to offend anyone. I didn't expect this from a forum dedicated to early retirement.

Sure, I might be wrong with my projections of investments returns and cost of life. But it is not like if I expect a 10% return; an average of 4% above inflation seems not overly optimistic, but only time will tell. I have some room in my budget, so that should my return not high enough a given year, I'll be able to put some money in to balance. I think people should also have in mind that retiring at <40 is somewhat less risky than retiring at 65.

If your projections are wrong when you retire at 65, you have no choice but to live with your errors. At 37, if I'm wrong and need more cash in my budget, I can easily go back to work two or three years, maybe part time would be okay.

As you say, some things can change in 8 years (and after that), like us wanting children. But I have nothing to lose by saving money meanwhile. And saving for me is not difficult, I don't have to deprive myself. Some people need a large car and a large house and most of their money are spent there. I am happy with a small car that I don't use very much and a small condo.

But I go to restaurant two or three times a week, I buy books whenever I want (e.g.: one or two books a week), I travel a lot, but not very far away (and I prefer camping to hotels, I prefer to visit relatives than doing tourism), I take lessons at a circus school, I enjoy movies at theatre or at home, I buy the CDs I'd like to have, I do photography and painting, we have dinner with our friends, my cellar contains good wine... Even if I spend > 400$ a month to do that, I still can save much because my home and car are inexpensive and because I bike to work or I use public transportation.

Kind regards,

Jack

I didn't expect this from a forum dedicated to early retirement.
Jack, I think "early" means different things to different people.

There can be a big difference between the mindset of somebody looking to knock a few years off the rat race at, say, 55 and somebody looking to live a carefree life starting at 38. The ones retiring at 55 often still have a strong belief in the puritan work ethic, duty to family, duty to country, and all of those other "duties" that conflict with a carefree hedonistic life.

Not that there's anything wrong with that ;)

Wab is right (as usual) :) When I first semiretired at age 49, there was widespread surprise and consternation.
I recall my brother's "But what does he do all day?"
Obviously he was clueless. Now, 11 years later it
(my being retired) is seldom mentioned. It's not so
unusual for a 60 year old, but at 37 you would
stick out like Janet Reno at a dwarf convention.

John Galt

I raised all of my kids in "Central America".
Lots of corn and  soybeans along with good old- fashioned  "Bridges of Madison County" values.
Not to judge...but you raised your kids to have affairs with drifters and play "hide the lufa sponge"?

I knew someone would come up with that one.
I set you up :). BTW, do you suppose infants
have as much fun with infancy as adults do with adultery? Inquiring minds want to know.

John Galt

;)Hi,

I retired early at 41 I kinda cheated Kindsa faked a medical condition got full pay for the rest of my life. I was feeling a little guilty but hey every day is SATURDAY!

Well, I actually had a medical condition but the only
benefits option I could see was SS disability. I looked into it, but the bar was set so high that you basically have to be completely non-functional (or be able to fake it) to get benefits. On my last annual SS statement
they informed me that I am no longer eligible for
disability, I guess because I've been out of the
workplace (thus not paying taxes) for too long.

John Galt

;)Hi,

I retired early at 41 I kinda cheated Kindsa faked a medical condition got full pay for the rest of my life. I was feeling a little guilty but hey every day is SATURDAY!

If above quote is fact, (I doubt it is), I'd be careful about bragging about it. A lot of criminals get caught by being smug and boasting.

Its a long shot, but there are an awful lot of lurkers on here. One of which may be in law enforcement.

When you post, your internet address is logged on the system. One subpoena to your ISP gets a name and address.

If you use an anonymous proxy, then thats two subpoenas, and the good folks running proxies to make you anonymous will absolutely give you up in one second to a legal request.

You are NEVER anonymous and unfindable on the internet...I remember one irritable little troll that felt he was completely anonymous...a friend of mine spent ten minutes and without any legal paperwork found him and posted a satellite photo of an aerial view of the guys house.

Not to mention, someone(s) somewhere(s) are paying for your fake injury retirement income. Chances are, its us. In the meanwhile, the rest of us managed to save up for ER despite paying for burdens like you.

So let me lead the chorus in saying...

You Suck. :mad:

In the spirit of the day...............

Shiver me timbers! Avast ye swabs!

Hey TH, you are correct in that no one is anonymous any more. That was a pretty dumb thing to post even if untrue.

John Galt

>>Well, I actually had a medical condition but the only
benefits option I could see was SS disability.

Probably you weren't a firefighter or a policeman than. Now there is a job to have a "disability" from....get your full salary for the rest of your life, tax free, wether you are faking it or not....and the union will fight for every last penney for you.

I know several guys in the town a few over from me, where they are all young (30-40s) and all out on 100% disability for "back problems"...yet, they all manage to run businesses and hold down other jobs...but the suckers, aka taxpayers, have no choice but to pay for these freeloaders the rest of their lives...its sickening if you ask me. Gives a bad rep to all the cops and ff's that really DO get injured. I can't quite understand why the union fights for these guys so hard. (The town even hired private investigators to follow these guys around...had plenty of incriminating evidence...parasailing in the bahamas, moving a 300lb safe to the dump etc...yet they are all 100% disabled...

Come on guys, it's an obvious troll, and a weak one at that. I'd give him a C-

Back
Top Bottom