To FIRE or Not to FIRE that is the question ...

Skybolt

Confused about dryer sheets
I have been reading on and about this forum for quite some time now. I feel I know some of you already and thought it was time I introduce myself. So here goes …

Hi I am Orlando and I am an addict. I have been addicted to working for quite some time now. I started when I very young and now I am 56. The long term damage that has resulted for such an addiction has taken its toll on me and now I must quit! …

The problem is I am not financially independent just yet, or am I? What exactly does that mean anyway? Is buying a house with cash and living on 1K a week enough? Does FI mean keeping your existing life style and where you currently live? Do I even want to do that?
Man so many questions. I recently read a few threads on “I walked into work and I suddenly realized I was done” or “My heart isn’t there anymore” etc. Man I am so there and I have a few more years to go. My goal is to retire at or about age 62. I simply cannot afford to pay medical and all the other living expenses as well.

My wife and I are the same age and have known each other our whole lives, I was her first boyfriend in HS. We have been together for the past 11yrs. Two divorces each have left us, well less than FI let’s say. Even with that I think we can still make it work. We are both working professionals and are doing quite well right now. But for retirement basic numbers without all of the percentages and if’s, I can draw 2K from SS and 2K from 401k a month. My wife is about the same, a little less possibly. So let’s say buy a house outright and live on 6K a month. That’s doable right? or is it?

Anyway as you can see I like to ramble, already practicing for being retired. Great forum you guys have here. Lot’s of great people and information!

BTW when I say FIRE it's the other FI I refer to. And what the heck are dryer sheets anyway? Thanks for reading.

-Orlando

Welcome Orlando!!!

Everyone's definition of FI is very different. It's all about expenses and your portfolio and other possible sources of income.

Have you discovered Firecalc? Run your numbers there. https://firecalc.com/ I'm retiring today, and I'm still running those numbers, just for reassurance.

And here's the scoop on those pesky dryer sheets. Search is your friend - it works very, very well on this board: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f47/whats-the-deal-with-the-dryer-sheets-44456.html

Back
Top Bottom