Today is the Day

PandaBear

Recycles dryer sheets
Today is the day. Seems hard to believe it’s even happening. My timing may not be best, given inflation and market drops, but today was my last official day of work. Not an early retirement, I just turned 60. Dh retired back in 2019, just under 3 years ago.

I “think” we have things in place
My dh has already been receiving his pension and SS. As I “officially” retire July 1, I get my first “pension pay” July 31 (although I’ve already been informed I won’t actually receive the first one until mid August). As someone in education, I put aside money for summer paychecks, so not an issue.
We have retirement savings.
Our house is paid off.
Our kids are grown and flown. We do pay for a few things, such as paying the expenses for my dh’s family reunion each year (a weekend get together). We also have money set aside to help out with a home down payment (have already helped out one child) and weddings. And we still pay for the phone service (not their phones though).
We have LTC insurance, although it will only pay a maximum of $200 per day. But it is unlimited and only costs us about 2K per year for both of us.

What am I retiring to? I read that’s an important thing to consider. Right now, I have a few projects and plans I want to work on. I’m not good with nothing to do!
1. Remodel our front yard: I can’t even meet with the landscape designer until August. So this will probably be a year-long project, since at least some of it will be DIY.
2. Okay, don’t laugh, I want to learn how to decorate sugar cookies with royal frosting. The fancy kind that bakers sell for $3 or $4 each. I don’t want to sell, just learn for gifts, parties, and just the fun of doing it. I’ve been researching YouTube videos, inline courses and such that will help me with this goal.
3. Decluttering, decluttering, decluttering! I had to do my moms house last fall (the house we grew up in….6 bedrooms…..my mom saved EVERYTHING)and I do not wish that on my kids!
4. My mom lives about 2000 miles from me (we moved her to a lower cost of living area near my siblings) so I plan to visit 4-5 times a year.
5. I have also recently become a travel agent. This will hopefully give me some more options for reducing my travel costs. I’ve been helping friends and family with travel for years, so my hobby making me a little money is exciting. Not as a “real” job but a hobby (mostly doing it for the benefits and not earning any income). I don’t anticipate doing this long term, probably just a few years.
6. I’d like to learn to play golf. My dh golfs and so do 2 girlfriends. What it means for me is probably 9 hole courses and very short 18 hole courses, but I am taking some lessons.
7. As an educator in CA, I can’t work in public education for 6 months after retirement. After that, I can sub. I worked with more significantly impacted students, so that’s the kind of class I’d sub in. Retired staff get paid slightly more, so I’d get $220 per day (for my old district). And if I sub 20 days in a year, I get a $500 bonus. I’ll probably sub, to see colleagues and increase our travel budget. Also, my field is speech pathology and there is a huge shortage. I also have a “speciality” within this that most people don’t have, so I may be able to do some per diem work and make way more than subbing. We’ll see.
I know there are people here who say if you get paid to work, you’re not retired. But I consider anything I do to be bonus money, especially while we are figuring things our money wise from our investments. And if I’m not enjoying it, I won’t do it! It’s just an option on the table.

Longterm, we have things to think about.
1. I don’t anticipate our kids staying in our very HCOL area long term. Our oldest has already relocated to the East Coast and I don’t seem him moving back. Our daughter says she will be moving in a year or two (when long term boyfriend finishes his Ph.D. If we have grandkids, I want to be near them. However, dh LOVES our area and never wants to leave. We’ve discussed relocating, as well as possibly buying a condo or renting an apartment in a retirement community. We also are considering the fact that if all three kids are in the East Coast, we may just move somewhere near most of them. As of now, no changes, but I believe something will be on the horizon.
2. I need to figure out how to make new friends and build relationships. Again, because we live in a very HCOL area, many of our friends have left, once retired. Some left because they sold their house and used some of that equity to increase retirement savings. Others left because they came here, mostly in the 1980’s, for jobs and have gone back to where they were from. So that’s been hard already and going to get worse. I’m really struggling with this, and it’s only going to get worse (I have another friend moving this month!)
3. I need to learn more about what we should do moneywise, in terms of our retirement accounts. Take out 3 or 4%? Or less? Pick a number based on FIRECALC, and adjust upwards each year based on inflation? We’ve worked to save the money but now we need to figure out how to spend it. How do we balance this with the market decline? I’m pretty lost as to how to move forward. We don’t necessarily need the money right now, and I definitely want to leave some to our kids but I want to enjoy it as well.

I know we have to figure out some of these things mentioned above, but for at least a little while, I’m just going to enjoy the summer. I have multiple trips planned between now and early October. In between trips, my goal is to daily declutter a room, a drawer, the garage, etc and to exercise (walk the dog, ride a bike, etc) and move forward with other plans.

I’m a little scared, or nervous, excited and happy. Emotions vary day to day and even hour to hour.

Congrats. It is obvious you have given this a lot of thought. I have been retired for 3 months so far and love it. Don't put any pressure on yourself to work through your lists, it is good to have them and work threw them just no schedule pressure :) Do something productive every day and you will feel successful.

Congrats. You have a lot to do to keep busy and I’m sure it will all work out for you. Enjoy.

Congrats! We are sort of the opposite from you guys. You have a lot of stuff you want to do but have lots of $ questions. We on the other hand have the $ part figured out (for the most part) but have lots of questions of what are we retiring too. Good luck.

Congratulations!!! What a great list of activities. Wishing you a long, happy, healthy retirement!

Congratulations - you have set yourself up beautifully to step into a wonderful retirement. I'll bet you're already so involved in your plans that you were instantly in a new place and habits! All that careful thought on the future (in addition to careful money management) has paid off!

Congrats! We are sort of the opposite from you guys. You have a lot of stuff you want to do but have lots of $ questions. We on the other hand have the $ part figured out (for the most part) but have lots of questions of what are we retiring too. Good luck.

This is me as well being a newbie this year. No complaints, I figure it will all naturally develop. Wonder if its a Dawg thing?? :confused:

This is me as well being a newbie this year. No complaints, I figure it will all naturally develop. Wonder if its a Dawg thing?? :confused:

Maybe a Dawg thing. :LOL: If I had to choose one or the other, I choose to have the $ figured out. If the opposite was true, how would I fund the "what to do all day" part of FIRE? Out the door in a few minutes to pressure wash a few things. Then buffing the waverunner before putting on the new graphics. The mulch isn't going to spread itself. After a lot of beach work, I need to rake the Gator tire marks that were left on the pretty sand. See, lots to do in retirement. :cool:

I wish you the best! I remember my "today is the day" what I did and that feeling.

Out the door in a few minutes to pressure wash a few things. Then buffing the waverunner before putting on the new graphics. The mulch isn't going to spread itself. After a lot of beach work, I need to rake the Gator tire marks that were left on the pretty sand. See, lots to do in retirement. :cool:
That's allot of exuberance this early in the am! Pace yourself, and remember... always bend at the knees!:D

Congrats! Make sure you focus on enjoying what you have. The rest will sort itself out

Welcome to Retirement!

Congratulations! It looks like you have a lot of plans for activities, which is great.

Congratulations on your big day. Mine occurred about five years ago, and it was one of the finest days of my life.

To address some of your questions about how to live on your savings and investments, I will offer what my DW and I have done.

We live on our pensions, which cover all of our necessities and much of our wants. We are both retired military. We have investments that we draw down below 3% annually, but will adjust this % as we age and the market fluctuates. For instance, in this down market, we are taking our monthly withdrawals since Jan 22 from our 2 year cash we had set aside for times like these when the markets are down. We have 18 months left of cash reserves and will ride out this downturn for another 18 months. If the market hasn't bounced back in a year and half, we can adjust our spending down or eliminate if we desire as we do not need this investment income and can wait out for a market return. I am glad we had this cushion or else we would likely have adjusted our spending bc I hate to sell shares at a low point. The plan will also adjust so we ramp up our spending as we get older and the risk of outspending our savings continues to decrease; DW and I are in our early fifties. We also plan to increase our spending when the markets have stronger growth.

Also, as you've mentioned, we have children and have thought about what we will do for our children in terms of helping them financially and passing down an inheritance. We decided to give them help now to juice up their retirement savings to maximize their IRAs and 401ks. We match whatever they put into their plans and have told them if they exceed the max by year end, we would plus up their taxable investments as well. We also plan to assist them with first time home purchase and wedding costs-- we have four daughters, so this will sting a bit :) Regarding an inheritance, we prioritize our wants first and helping them now vs when we pass. We also spend on family vacations, which often include 3 of our adult children--our youngest is a senior in high school. Although with our cautious spending habits, I believe we will still leave them with a significant sum. We've never told them to expect an inheritance however.

We set up our investment spending so that it is automatic. We generally, sell an annual withdrawal amount and put it into a money market account and take a monthly withdrawal from that account to our checking account at the bank. We went to plan B, tap into 2 years od cash reserve, with the market down turn as I mentioned above in the past 6 months.

Best of luck to you going forward, you had the bad luck of a near recession to kick off your retirement, but since you can afford to do it now, it seems like you should be near bullet proof when the market bounces back.

Last edited:
Wow, with your extensive list of things to do in retirement, how did you have time to w*rk?:LOL:

Congratulations. Check back often and keep us posted on your progress with your list - and other things.

Well, it’s been 150 days. Seems hard to believe. I’ve traveled quite a bit (2 cruises and a 10- day driving trip) plus a few long weekend getaways.

I had a lot of ideas of what I might want to do and I’m still working on a routine. Ironically, my current focus is not necessarily what I had initially planned. Yes, I’m still decluttering, planning travel and while I haven’t started actually decorating cookies, I’ve been trying to educate myself with YouTube videos. My focus has been getting myself more healthy. I joined our YMCA and began water aerobics and swimming laps. I also plan to start trying some yoga classes. I also rejoined Weight Watchers, as I had a lot of success with them in the past and I love all the meetings that are online.

This focus has been especially important to me lately, as my SIL and another friend both have pretty significant dementia at age 70. This was on top of the deaths of a number of friends and acquaintances in the last year, all early 60’s and younger.

While I don’t miss working every week on a schedule, i do miss work and colleagues. I have been offered very part time work by three districts when I’m able to do so in January. I will probably pick up a little work, as our investments are still struggling a bit and I want some extra funds for more travel. All three offers don’t care that I already have 6 weeks of travel planned between January and the end of May. It may finally be the best of both worlds for me. I worked a 50% contract before I retired, and while it afforded me more time, it wasn’t enough. These offers will all be working around my priorities….not working until after my water aerobics class that’s at 9am and not caring I’m basically gone one week a month. And the nice thing is, if I don’t like it, I just stop. No contracts.

Bottom line, I am SO glad I retired, am finding my way and I highly encourage if you are on the fence (and finances will work) to do so.

Congrats Man! I still have 8 months to go - my date is June 30, 2023.

Back
Top Bottom