Traveling around the world at 40

Glad to welcome you Warren, and I agree with all posters that you obviously know what you want and went for it, very admirable and, some would say, courageous. I relish in seeing these kinds of stories, would love to see more. Keep having fun!

You are an inspiration to me...DW and I take one "major" vacation (two weeks in a foreign country) every 5 years...not near enough. But we can't get away from w*rk any longer than that.

Wait...yes we can.. :facepalm: ...just make a plan and rehire!!!...which is what we're planning to do in the next 1-2 years. I'm 49, so I'm a bit behind you. And although I do enjoy travel, I'm more of a home hobbyist, so I'll be spending time on my show cars, in the woodshop, at the beer tasting events, and so on.

I feel uplifted after typing this...thank you.

Dave

Hi there, it is great to meet our twins! It all sounds eerily similar. What are you doing now 15 years later. We get the benefit of using you guys as our crystal ball;)

Let us know if you are going to be in Asia in the next year as it would be fun to cross paths and exchange stories in this random world we share.

This is your thread. Enough to say that we ERed quite early, and we are enjoying our lives very much and feel very fortunate still. I wish the same for you. If we do go to Asia in the next year we'll be sure to let you know!

We sold everything we owned and in October 2010 we took off for a trip around the world. We have no plans to return and I cannot imagine ever going back to a conventional job or life. We are living our dream and loving every minute of it.

Nice blog. You might be interested in this couple who did something very similar to you, but travel on bikes. They make some money on the road from photography and metal work.

The Path Less Pedaled

I like their t-shirts, Nun, especially this one:

Attachments

• 6303994691_b1d355992f.jpg
    6303994691_b1d355992f.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 5

Yes it combines two of my favourite things: zombies and bikes. I suppose they aren't ERed as they make money from sponsorship and the things they make.

That shirt is great. I want one.

Yes it combines two of my favourite things: zombies and bikes. I suppose they aren't ERed as they make money from sponsorship and the things they make.
From "The Zombie Survival Guide"
In a class by itself, this vehicle offers the best of both worlds. The common bicycle is fast, quiet, muscle-powered, and easy to maintain. Add to this the additional advantage that it is the only vehicle you can pick up and carry if the terrain gets rough. People using bicycles to escape from infested areas have almost always fared better than those on foot. For optimum performance, use a mountain bike, as opposed to the racing or recreational model. Don't let your speed and mobility go to your head, however. Wear standard safety gear, and choose caution over speed. The last thing you want is to end up in a ditch, legs broken, bike trashed, with the shuffling of undead feet growing louder with each step.
Max Brooks knows his stuff...

Back
Top Bottom