We think it is time

Librarian

Recycles dryer sheets
DH is 57, I am 54 & we are both school librarians.
Our district allows full retirement at 55 with 30 years of service, so meet that milestone next spring, though we will finish the school year. This quarter of remote learning has been odd to say the least, and we anticipate the next school year to be far from normal...we were considering it & this seems to be the sign that it is time.

Our retirement income will be a bit lower than our normal income, so we actually began to make some changes a couple years ago.
We downsized from a 5BR home to a 3BR townhome, and it will be paid off in 18 months. We have no debt. We own 1 van & lease a car; the lease is up next spring so we will have to outlay cash for that but we will be DEBT FREE.

Our children will be 26, 23 & 20. The older 2 are on their own in CA & TX(tho with the current environment we are playing insurance/cell for the older 1 until things ramp up again--things we could afford anyway, tho would rather not!) 20YO is in college, fully funded with scholarship & 529, and he will get an apartment in a year. (we will fund his car & health insurance/cell phone for 2 more years at an expense of $300/mo for those 2 years, as we did for the older 2 through college) They each have a reliable used car that we bought them; they can choose to drive it or trade it in. They each have investments that will allow them to buy a home within the next 2 years if they so choose. (and we encourage) Our son in CA JUST moved there in January, and then Nike closed in March. They have been paying him amazingly & will until this ends; though he was making more when actually working. But he had some savings so he can weather the storm.

We live in a midwestern city where expenses are reasonable. My parents live here & his are 90 min. away. They are all in good to very good health & will not need any financial assistance from us. My brother lives here & DH's DS lives where his parents do, so we know they are cared for if we move.

And that is our goal--DONE with winter & humidity we plan to move to Las Vegas, a city we have visited over 100 times over 28 years. We love the weather, the parks for hiking, nearby lakes for boating, the nightlife, the gambling. We like the proximity to California & all it has to offer. It appears
the cost of living is about 10% more there; we will have no house or car payment when we go but we will have OOP for health insurance (available through our teacher's union).

We are blessed that we have investments that will provide us the ability to enjoy what we love the most--travel. (we have considered traveling the country by RV for a year as a friend has; we shall see...). We know our retirement income will easily cover our daily living expenses with nice bumper room. (just attended that retirement seminar in early March & exhaled afterward that we were looking good to go for next year)

We hope to take a trip to Vegas in March to look at properties (2BR condo or townhome $250-350K) & hopefully get that ball rolling.

I want nothing more than to be planning travel right now. (DM & I were taking DD on a Med cruise departing next week for her college graduation:(; we are hoping to postpone to a UK cruise (DM's dream) in 2022. Here's hoping. BUT on a good note--our expenses are much less since we aren't traveling at all nor going out (we do takeout from a local establishment once a week).

I think I just wrote a novel, my apologies. Work is winding down this week so lots of time my hands...researching retirement info seemed like something to plan & look forward to since I really cannot plan travel. (I participate in several travel forums on the web; I am even "Destination Expert" on Trip advisor's Las Vegas forum)

Time to go read what everyone has to share!

Ummmm...Why does it say "Confused about dryer sheets" under my name?
I didn't put that...

Welcome to the group. What don't you understand about dryer sheets? [emoji56]

Welcome! Yes, it's a frustrating time right now to do anything, but good luck!

Welcome to our wonderful site. Lots of stuff can be learned here.
I have gone to Vegas 5 times and just loved it. We decided to retire to Florida, with Vegas suburbs our second choice.

Dryer Sheets = the LBYM lifestyle taken to an extreme.:D

Welcome to our wonderful site. Lots of stuff can be learned here.
I have gone to Vegas 5 times and just loved it. We decided to retire to Florida, with Vegas suburbs our second choice.

Dryer Sheets = the LBYM lifestyle taken to an extreme.:D

I keep looking at Florida; I LOVE the beach (and cruising) but that humidity is daunting. We had a cruise Dec. 2018 that stopped in Orlando (from NYC) & I was stunned with the humidity that day. Plus with arthritis, dry heat it is.

LOL, I used to subscribe to the Tightwad Gazette years ago. Most of those things were LBYM to the extreme. I wouldn't call myself frugal, but I do like to squeeze every penny out of every dollar we make--I try my hardest not to spend $ on anything that isn't essential or important to us. (i.e. I consider a hotel room to sleep & shower so safety, cleanliness, location & price are my considerations; but I have gotten some amazing VALUE on wonderful places at prices we know we would never get otherwise)

Congratulations on reaching your ER goal. I taught for a while almost 50 years ago and always thought that two LBYM teachers make for a great life. Summers off (although I recognize that works out for few) and dual pensions in time to enjoy them, And, to top it off, a job that matters.

Good luck with your plans. I hope Vegas bounces back, the pandemic's economic fallout has hit it hard.

Welcome! I wanted to be a librarian when I was a kid- and then daydreamed about it during the most stressful times in my career. No one yells at librarians, right? [emoji23]

I'm sure it's not as stress free as I imagine. Nothing ever is- not even early retirement. Welcome- glad to have you!

I keep looking at Florida; I LOVE the beach (and cruising) but that humidity is daunting. We had a cruise Dec. 2018 that stopped in Orlando (from NYC) & I was stunned with the humidity that day. Plus with arthritis, dry heat it is.

LOL, I used to subscribe to the Tightwad Gazette years ago. Most of those things were LBYM to the extreme. I wouldn't call myself frugal, but I do like to squeeze every penny out of every dollar we make--I try my hardest not to spend $ on anything that isn't essential or important to us. (i.e. I consider a hotel room to sleep & shower so safety, cleanliness, location & price are my considerations; but I have gotten some amazing VALUE on wonderful places at prices we know we would never get otherwise)

Yes the heat/humidity is quite much.
My DGF (girlfriend) loves the heat. She gets cool with anything under 60 and 60-70 is just okay.

Where I live, it is basically summer 6-7 months a year with high humidity around 3-4 months. Only around 30 days a year where the high is under 70.

As for me, I will play Pickleball in 90 degree weather, but would not play it in 40 or below weather, so that aspect works for me.

Welcome, and congratulations on being so close! It sounds like you have given this a lot of thought, and you'll find a lot of tools and advice here that you can use to refine your planning.

Our retirement income will be a bit lower than our normal income, so we actually began to make some changes a couple years ago.
One thing that I found interesting is that while a lot of retirement advice says you will need 80-100% of your income to maintain the same lifestyle, I don't think that that's aimed at super-saving, LBYM FIRE advocates like the members here. For example, we're saving over 25% of our pre-tax income just for retirement, so for us, 75% of our current incomes would really feel like 100%, plus taxes would probably be lower!

Now, that's not a replacement for a detailed budget, but when I started planning I was surprised at the contrast between what we actually live on vs our full income.

Last edited:
Congratulations on reaching your ER goal. I taught for a while almost 50 years ago and always thought that two LBYM teachers make for a great life. Summers off (although I recognize that works out for few) and dual pensions in time to enjoy them, And, to top it off, a job that matters.

Good luck with your plans. I hope Vegas bounces back, the pandemic's economic fallout has hit it hard.

I'm sure things will change a bit in Vegas after this, but I am confident it will be back!

Welcome! I wanted to be a librarian when I was a kid- and then daydreamed about it during the most stressful times in my career. No one yells at librarians, right? [emoji23]

I'm sure it's not as stress free as I imagine. Nothing ever is- not even early retirement. Welcome- glad to have you!

No one yells at librarians:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I have had a tough few years; our building's demographics have changed dramatically over the years which I'm fine with but the last 5 years I have had a principal who is a narcissist. So it's turned into Mean Girls (she is the queen bee--its her way or the highway; people have left in droves the last 5 years) & our behaviors have gotten quite out of control. We have a new principal now & his last building was devastated he is leaving so hopefully things will be better.

But I don't anticipate next year looking normal anyway. I had contemplated going another couple years but it feels like it will be time come next spring.

Yes the heat/humidity is quite much.
My DGF (girlfriend) loves the heat. She gets cool with anything under 60 and 60-70 is just okay.

Where I live, it is basically summer 6-7 months a year with high humidity around 3-4 months. Only around 30 days a year where the high is under 70.

As for me, I will play Pickleball in 90 degree weather, but would not play it in 40 or below weather, so that aspect works for me.

Dear God, no.

Today is cool (60) & cloudy but the dew point is in the 50s & I'm already uncomfortable. It has been cool the last 2 weeks but the dew point is definitely higher this week.

Heat is fine (clearly if I love Vegas in the summer):mad:
Humidity, well. I'M DONE!:greetings10:

Welcome, and congratulations on being so close! It sounds like you have given this a lot of thought, and you'll find a lot of tools and advice here that you can use to refine your planning.

One thing that I found interesting is that while a lot of retirement advice says you will need 80-100% of your income to maintain the same lifestyle, I don't think that that's aimed at super-saving, LBYM FIRE advocates like the members here. For example, we're saving over 25% of our pre-tax income just for retirement, so for us, 75% of our current incomes would really feel like 100%, plus taxes would probably be lower!

Now, that's not a replacement for a detailed budget, but when I started planning I was surprised at the contrast between what we actually live on vs our full income.

Our state retirement office (that our pension runs through) gives workshops. I had attended one at 50 just to begin to wrap my head around things & left fairly overwhelmed. DH & I went together this year & it wasn't overwhelming this time. I was able to look at our specific situation & start running figures.
I don't want to retire just because we can & have to tighten our belt. I want to continue to go out with friends & travel when we want, by & large.

We have been talking about this for quite a few years.

We have discussed possibly looking at other areas in the SW (Phoenix is TOO hot) as well.

I am guessing Vegas home prices will drop. We live in Northern Nevada and everything except property taxes are higher here. Are you planning on having 2 homes or selling the one in the Midwest that you bought? I only like Vegas in the winter. In the summer by the time your car cools down you have reached your destination.

Oh, and I agree with you about the humidity, although if it's hot enough I will create my own! That's why we're thinking about northern climes for the summer rather than southern climes for the winter; PNW, Maine, Minnesota, or possibly Colorado. We'll have to do some visits once we're actually ready or close to ready to buy a second home. But I am fine with harsh winters, for the most part, I can bundle up and have fun outside, or just sit around the house, cozy in my layers of fleece.

Heat is fine (clearly if I love Vegas in the summer):mad: Humidity, well. I'M DONE!:greetings10:

Exactly what we thought / said when we left California for the Caribbean and then ended up in Florida.

We barely notice it anymore. One does get used to the heat / humidity, and like others anything below 70 - 75 for us is really uncomfortable. I cannot remember the last time I wore long trousers or jeans. DW would say the same for stockings.

...we're saving over 25% of our pre-tax income just for retirement, so for us, 75% of our current incomes would really feel like 100%, plus taxes would probably be lower!
+1! We're saving 45% of gross pay; after FIRE, without having to pay Fed taxes for the first 10 years, and without having to save for retirement, our spending rate will increase to 200% of pre-FIRE levels.

Back
Top Bottom