When I Grow Up, I wanna be...

jjquantz

Full time employment: Posting here.
Retired?

I'm 54 years old and still trying to figure what I want to be if I grow up. DW is 53 and would like me to figure this out as well. Despite my immaturity we have ended up in a position where we are currently negotiating our retirement transition(s).

Having run the numbers on my own for over 5 years now, I was overjoyed to find that FIRECalc, other calculators, and discussions at this site and others verify that I can step out of the workforce any time that I want and we will be just fine financially. As a result, I will be reducing my time at work to 3 days per week this year.

Pulling the plug entirely will depend on a couple of things:
1) Convincing DW that there is a "safe enough" level of retirement savings and that we have more than reached that stage.
2) Helping DW realize that she will also benefit from my not working. We had a foretaste of this several years ago when I was teaching and she started a job that was on a year-round schedule. The first summer was UGLY! By the second year she had adjusted to the fact that she had to go to work and I didn't. She has no interest in retiring right now because, as she puts it, "You know that I don't do well without structure in my day."

We realize that what we are trying to do is balance her desire for security with my desire to step away from the workplace. We know that we will reach a point where both of these desires can be met, we just don't know where that point is right now. This year will be an ongoing conversation about spending, investments, and retirement goals that will help us decide on the end dates for our respective work lives.

I look forward to the conversation.

Welcome aboard. We look forward to more posts as you take your journey on the road to retirement.

Hey, don't feel bad, I'm 62 and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I'll be damned though if I'll let immaturity hold me back.

Welcome to the forum!

I always thought I wouldn't do well without structure in my day, and so I suspected I would work until at least mid sixties. Boy was I wrong. I'm perfectly happy to have the entire day free with no plans and just do whatever I feel like. Your DW may discover that or may not. Having a lot of activities she enjoys doing will help.

I always thought I wouldn't do well without structure in my day, and so I suspected I would work until at least mid sixties. Boy was I wrong. I'm perfectly happy to have the entire day free with no plans and just do whatever I feel like.

I have found this to be my case as well. Especially this winter when I don't have to go out except for the gym and grocery runs.

Welcome to the forum!

"Growing old is no excuse for growing up."
-me

Retire, have a blast, and convince her it's possible to provide her own structure to life. She'll cave...

I have found this to be my case as well. Especially this winter when I don't have to go out except for the gym and grocery runs.

Welcome to the forum!

I think that winter time is going to be the hardest part of retirement for me. Not be able to get out of the house for a walk or jog in the sunshine will be depressing. Just another challenge to overcome I guess :cool:

Welcome to the forum!

I always thought I wouldn't do well without structure in my day, and so I suspected I would work until at least mid sixties. Boy was I wrong. I'm perfectly happy to have the entire day free with no plans and just do whatever I feel like. Your DW may discover that or may not. Having a lot of activities she enjoys doing will help.

I'd hoped for ballet classes MWF and tap dancing T/Th. But have been too busy with everything else (plenty of fun distractions) to check the class schedule. Also, every day is so different it's hard to pin myself down to daily commitments.

:angel:

I'd hoped for ballet classes MWF and tap dancing T/Th. But have been too busy with everything else (plenty of fun distractions) to check the class schedule. Also, every day is so different it's hard to pin myself down to daily commitments.

:angel:

I have noticed this too! I want to do some more consulting, start painting classes, etc, etc, but I am reluctant to give up my hard earned freedom!

I think that winter time is going to be the hardest part of retirement for me. Not be able to get out of the house for a walk or jog in the sunshine will be depressing. Just another challenge to overcome I guess :cool:

I know.:( My motorcycle sits forlornly in the dark cold garage awaiting sunshine and clear dry roads.

But spring will come. :dance:

Back
Top Bottom