201 Minutes of Space Idiocy

That was fun. I'm a huge Kubrick fan and 2001 fan. This satire nailed it! I liked the reference to the flu breakout being use as obfuscation. Remember, this was right after the bad, bad flu of the late 60s. Time has echoes...

I was never a Mad Magazine guy. I had too short of an attention span. Instead, I was a Wacky Packages guy. Quick and fun.

Now... Off to brush my teeth with my tube of "Crust".:)

crust_white_front_small.jpg

Last edited:
My brother has (had?) complete sets of Wacky Packages...like 5 or 7 series' worth. I was always saving for my next bike or something, so only blew a few bucks on the stickers with a rock hard slice of bubble gum. I read a few Mad issues, but it wasn't my thing... I'm not sure I was sophisticated enough to "get it" :)

My brother has (had?) complete sets of Wacky Packages...like 5 or 7 series' worth. I was always saving for my next bike or something, so only blew a few bucks on the stickers with a rock hard slice of bubble gum. I read a few Mad issues, but it wasn't my thing... I'm not sure I was sophisticated enough to "get it" :)

In my memories, I can still feel the consistency of those bubble gum planks. What crap! Just give me the sticker.

This REALLY dates me.

While channel surfing I came across "2001: A Space Odyssey".

My mind went back to my 14 year old 1969 self, and I recalled a Mad Magazine parody, titled above.

And with a little Googling, here it is:

https://keirdullea.tumblr.com/post/34795391907/201-minutes-of-space-idiocy-a-mad-magazine

Enjoy ( I hope):D

THANK YOU!!

I remember reading that Mad Magazine when I was a kid. Highlight of the month was when the new Mad Magazine showed up in the stores.

I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey in the theater in 70mm CinemaScope when I was 10 years old. My uncle took me to it with my cousins. Then when I was 12 or 13 my local library showed it every day for a month and I went and saw it a couple of times. Plus I've seen it a couple times over the past 50 years. To say I'm familiar with the movie is an understatement.

Reading it again, I love the product placement in the Mad Magazine satire. Not sure if it made an impact on me 50+ years ago, but it's spot on nowadays.

Interesting phenomenon: I saw 2001 in the theatres when I was 15 and was blown away -- after years of cheesy Flash Gordon and budget sci-fi pictures I thought the film was incredible. Fast forward to 2006 when my son was 15 -- we watched it together and unfortunately, in the post Star Wars era, I think he found its pace kinda boring.:(:(:(

Looking over that Keir Dullea site I noticed he also "starred" in the TV show "The Starlost". OMG, I watched the first episode of that a couple months ago and was shocked that something so tacky had ever been produced. The sets, costumes, and special effects makes early 60's Doctor Who episodes look like a Cecil B. DeMille production by comparison.

And terrible script? It's here.

Oddly, it was kind of charming in its own way...

Mad magazine humor reminded me of Rocky and Bullwinkle. A lot of the humor went over the heads of the small kids. Remember the two Russian football players - Rimsky and Korsakov? :D

I liked Mad. They skewered everybody and did it with great vigor.

Mad magazine humor reminded me of Rocky and Bullwinkle. A lot of the humor went over the heads of the small kids. Remember the two Russian football players - Rimsky and Korsakov? :D

I liked Mad. They skewered everybody and did it with great vigor.

Just like 1950-60's cartoons there were alot of subtle references in there for adults to enjoy as well.

Just like 1950-60's cartoons there were alot of subtle references in there for adults to enjoy as well.
OP's referenced article had a pretty racy reference to "The Milkman".

I'm probably the only person who actually likes "the Starlost" and as far as the other star is concerned, I always thought Gary Lockwood had an interesting "almost great" career. "Where No Man has Gone Before", "Model Shop" and other perfect slices of the '60s - along with "2001". Unfortunately it seems he p***ed off a few too many people and never quite hit big time stardom.

I totally remember that issue. I loved 2001. My uncle who was 15 or 16 at the time lived with my grandmother and whenever we went to visit I did two things consistently - return all of the pop bottles to the store for the 2 cent deposit to load up on penny candy and read his Mad magazines. I actually read the parody before I saw the movie.

Around 1971 I started transitioning from Mad Magazine to National Lampoon as my tastes became more "mature".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom