50th birthday gift suggestions

I still think gifts for birthdays, Christmas and other events are something to give up except for children. I understand most folks still find this an important way to express love and hope your SIL has a very happy and healthy 50th!

I still think gifts for birthdays, Christmas and other events are something to give up except for children. I understand most folks still find this an important way to express love and hope your SIL has a very happy and healthy 50th!

Quite a reasoned approach I think, Purron. For almost all of my friends, I give only small tokens as gifts (jams, coffees, teas, honey, etc). I buy extra tickets for cultural events and often invite a friend to go with me as my guest (without designating it as a gift per se). This Saturday I am taking a good friend to see "Othello". I have a series of tickets later in the summer for some Pinter plays. I suppose I am self serving in a way as I have company for things that interest me, but I think they also have a day out doing something they might not do otherwise. This supports the arts and fills up the theaters...a good use of money in my opinion.

50 roses...

$50 Gift certificate to her favorite store/spa

50 Green M&M's... ;)

Not self serving at all, in my view. In fact, this is the perfect reason to ask someone out on a date. They'll no doubt have a nice time, and you learn whether they like the same things you do (or are extremely good at dissembling).

Amethyst

I suppose I am self serving in a way as I have company for things that interest me, but I think they also have a day out doing something they might not do otherwise. .

For a much appreciated academic colleague turning 50, on the advice of the "senior ladies", we had some colleagues cover her classes with suitable lectures and sent her to a "day spa"
It was a hit

We're heading to a 50th later this month ... I was thinking of back ordering the newspaper from the day they were born.

I set aside copies of the paper the day my boys were born for this reason.

Not quite sure if the full editions are readily available ... maybe the library can pull sections.

For my sister's 50th we were able to get off of ebay the Time magazine with her birth date as the publication date. Fortuntely , with Time being a weekly magazine, the year she was born fell on the publication date.

It was not mint condition but in great shape. She (and her daughter) got a kick out of it - especially the advertisements.

Just to let everyone know what we chose to do for my sister in law.

After consulting with my brother, no flowers – her allergies are too severe. Nothing was sent to work, at her request.

We mailed a nice card, I sent an inappropriate “someecard” to her without telling anyone else, and we invited them (brother and SIL) to a concert (Procul Harum and Jethro Tull) and we gave her a very nice Barolo (her favorite).

She sent an email thanks for the mail card and called me, laughing, about the someecard. The concert was a blast, we all had a great time.

There is a place for humor, even with milestone celebration dates. In this case the humor was very well received – but also discrete. I don't give lots of gifts, but I do think certain milestone moments are worthy of celebration and some people (like SIL) who give much more than they receive deserve the attention.

Thanks for all the feedback and advice.

Back
Top Bottom