Join Early Retirement Today
Thread Tools Display Modes
72 T distributions/IRS forms
Old 12-03-2003, 07:13 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2
72 T distributions/IRS forms

Hi, I'm new to the site as of today and am looking for information regarding the specific requirements required by the IRS when taking 72T (early distirbutions) from an IRA or 401K rollover. Are there forms that need to be submitted to the IRS or do you simply contact your brokerage and request to set up a 72T distribution and give them your calcualtions. How is the distribution reported at tax time and what line is it reported on? My husband is 57 and I am only 50. If I do this in his account, what happens if he dies before I turn 59 1/2? Would it be better for us to use my IRA account to set up the 72T distribution. HELP! I have more tax deductions than I have income right now and want to get this done before the end of the year. Thanks a bunch!!!!
herstous is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: 72 T distributions/IRS forms
Old 12-03-2003, 09:12 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 902
Re: 72 T distributions/IRS forms

Hi herstous,

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know a place where you might get a quick (and free) answer, if nobody here can help you. Try here:

In the left hand column you'll see a link to their message board. The folks there provide excellent tax information. And when you're dealing with tax issues, especially retirement plans, it's a good idea to get more than one opinion anyway. Good luck!
Bob_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reporting maturing bonds on tax forms woolybully FIRE and Money 1 02-25-2007 05:56 PM

» Quick Links

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:40 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.