80 Years: Pearl Harbor Dec 7, 1941

38Chevy454

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just a post to recognize the importance of this day. It's been 80 years since that tragic day at Pearl Harbor. Special thanks to the veterans, those who died that day, during the war, or served and came home.

Thanks to those that sacrificed that day and throughout WWII. The greatest generation is an accurate description of the efforts for all who lived during that period. I am not sure the US could do the same today.

+1 And the greatest generation in the history of our country, IMO. Even those citizens who stayed at home sacrificed in many ways and many pitched in big time working for the war effort.

My dad served in the European theater and my FIL in the Pacific... Both were in for the duration and both saw 3+ years of combat... Fortunately both came back in good shape.

Last edited:
Just a post to recognize the importance of this day. It's been 80 years since that tragic day at Pearl Harbor. Special thanks to the veterans, those who died that day, during the war, or served and came home.

Thanks to those that sacrificed that day and throughout WWII. The greatest generation is an accurate description of the efforts for all who lived during that period. I am not sure the US could do the same today.
Yes. thanks to all Vets on here. I am not one myself but appreciate your service.

Definitely a day to remember.
It means a lot to me because my father came home badly wounded and his brother never came home.

Being a retired Marine, I will always remember this day. I graduated basic training and became a Marine on 7 Dec 1990-the 49th anniversary. Interesting note that I checked into OCS on 6 June, commissioned on Friday the 13th and signed my enlistment papers on 2 August 1990-the day Iraq invaded Kuwait.

Thank you to all who have served this great country of ours. May we never again have a 7 December or a Sept 11th to recognize.

As a young boy, my father was up and about in Kauai on December 7, and upon seeing numerous low-flying aircraft on their way to Oahu, he wondered why the US military would be conducting exercises this early on a Sunday morning.

When I toured Pearl Harbor back in 1972, the Navy tour guide said that had the Japanese destroyed all the fuel tanks that surrounded Pearl on the hills, the outcome would have been disastrous for the US. Then any subsequent tankers from the mainland would have been destroyed, or intercepted; the fleet would have been grounded.

A solemn salute to those who fell, and to those who went on to free this world of the tyranny and evil of the Nazis and Axis powers. America has, and still does, represent the good in this world.

I lived in Pearl Harbor back in the 1960s, when memories were still quite fresh. Near our house was a small plaque marking the spot where, just offshore, a Japanese mini sub was rammed and sunk by the USS Monaghan during during the attack. You could also look across to Ford Island and still see the sunken hulk of the USS Utah. As a boy scout, I went hiking up in the Ko'olau Range above Aiea. Back then, there was one steep ravine near the trail that still held the remains of one of the 29 Japanese planes shot down during the attack. I'm sure it is gone by now.

Last edited:
My father was there with the Army that day. They did not receive a direct hit. He was part of the troops that prepared the bodies for burial. He did not talk about it for fifty years. He passed two years ago at age 98. He always wore his Pearl Harbor Survivor hat with great pride.

My Dad was at Pearl Harbor in 1941 at age 21. He was in the Navy and came home in one piece, and not in a box. I served from 1964 - 1968 in the USAF. Then went to college using the G.I. Bill.

+ a bunch!

My FIL was near the hospital that day, claimed to see the first bomb coming down. He was also in Japan when they surrendered. Had many stories but took many many years for them to come out.

Special day. Thank you to all the veterans from all wars.

+1

I wonder, if one went out and asked the first 100 folks one encountered, how many would know that today is the Pearl Harbor anniversary.

Amen.

The events that followed shaped so many lives. But for my father's service in the Pacific, he would have never met my mom, nor would she have met her first husband and father of my brothers and sisters.
Dad enlisted at 17, there was a lot of fibbing in those days about your age. He was in the 4th Marines and in the Marshalls, on Saipan, Tinian, and Iwo Jima.
Mom met both of her husbands at Klamath Falls where they were rehabbing out of the Marines, and she was a young nurse at the hospital.

My Dad was at Pearl Harbor in 1941 at age 21. He was in the Navy and came home in one piece, and not in a box. I served from 1964 - 1968 in the USAF. Then went to college using the G.I. Bill.

I had a friend (significantly older and now gone) who was stationed at Pearl when it was attacked (he was in barracks on shore - not yet assigned to a ship.) He spent the rest of the war on mine sweepers - I say sweepers (plural) because he had two shot out from under him.

One of his friends was operating the light used to look for periscopes. His friend simply disappeared when he was struck by a large shell. My friend struggled with many issues for the remainder of his life - including hearing loss and tinnitus. It took him a while after the war to reconcile with former enemies - but he did.

If not for that I wouldn't be here. Parents both in Navy when met far from birthplaces.

Strange how history works.

Back
Top Bottom