Ain't that America ( No Politics )

Breedlove

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Yesterday was wreaths across America , a day we celebrate our fallen veterans by placing wreaths on their graves .
My family try to make this event every year to place wreaths . I never served in the military but my father was in WWII , brother in Vietnam. Last week my wife and I went north of Huntsville to see the wreaths come in . We seen 9 tractor trailers . Trailers from Walmart , Hobby Lobby etc . These wreaths across America come from the state of Maine ( very special ) Every truck had twin American flags waving as they went by. Yesterday at Houston Memorial there were probably 10000 people there to decorate. Cub Scouts handed wreaths out ROTC directed you to the graves . The process is simple you read the name on the stone straighten the ribbon , say a prayer or salute. When you read that name something comes over you. Your expectations of this great country seems to take a back seat and Gratitude overtakes you the gratitude of people who have done what it takes to make this such a wonderful country. To me when my Gratitude exceeds my Expectations its a pretty good day.
Thank you VETS

Thanks BL. Nice, inspirational post.
As a 30 year veteran, the toughest job that I ever did was Funeral Detail NCOIC. Handing the folded US flag to the widow or parents at graveside was just gut wrenching. I kept my composure knowing that survivors had grief and anguish that was incomprehensible. Honoring the fallen takes a special person. So again, thanks.

And, I know that I am honored and privileged to live in the country that remains the best political idea in the history of mankind. It's a work in process for sure, but still the best.

Yesterday at Houston Memorial there were 91,000 wreaths put out . This seems like a lot but two sections did not get covered. Because of donations.
They always try to get the different branches to sit together and before the ceremony the vets get to talk as a group to civilians about their experience and what it means to them . ( No preaching ) It is amazing as people listen in awe. They recognized a special group gathering steam across America . Women and daughters who have pledged no Vet will be buried with nobody at their gravesite. To date this group has attended 7500 gravesite ceremonies
An honored vet was a man who lied about his age joined the army at 15 fought in the Korean war , spent his 17, 18,19th birthdays in a N Korean prison. got released from the prison came home re enlisted , spent another 25 years in the U S army. Wife and I went to his group to hear stories , about being in prison . You could hardly hear him but he hardly spoke of the Korean war . He wanted to speak of how happy he was to see so many people come out.

I had a grandpa in WW1 and my dad and uncles in WW2. All of my 3 husbands are veterans as is my step son. I am proud of all veterans.

Dad & 7 uncles in WW2. About a dozen bronze stars & two purple hearts between them all. Great uncle died in flu pandemic in France at end of WW1. A gr-gr-grandfather killed in Civil War. Me, I had a high draft number during Vietnam.

Very nice, and I am sure it’s a profound experience. Dad was an Army lifer, was in a M*A*S*H unit in Korea and DW’s Dad was USN. Even though DW and I didn’t serve, we both spent some childhood years on military bases and abroad. It gave us a lifelong appreciation for those who serve - we cannot do too much for our vets or active duty IMO.

Dad was a Korea vet. I’m not a vet. But I did donate a few wreaths for the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery. I need to get out there in the next couple of days. I go there a few times a year to put things in perspective.

Back
Top Bottom