A good all around hiking boot/shoe

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm looking to buy a good pair of 3 season hiking boot. I want one that comes up over my ankle (8 inch) and is all terrain type boot. I want a good pair but still I don't want to have to take out a loan to buy a pair. Lol

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I recommend Merrell. I have 3 pairs of Merrell hiking shoes. 1 pair of hiking boots. I think they are all moabs. Problem with mine are that they are not waterproof. I recommend getting something waterproof if you are in a wet area.

Honestly, this is such an individual thing I would only recommend going to a place where you can try out a wide variety of brands and models.

REI would be my first choice.

I've not tried Merrell, but have found Timberland durable.

It's rather sad that the same size and width differs among different brands - and even different models in the same brands. Merrill has failed me in this respect. I've had one model that was fine, and same size in a different model had heel slip. I no longer have faith in any particular brand. Right now, Asolo - which has a narrow heel - is working for me. But I'm mentally prepared for it to fail. With hiking shoes, you HAVE to have a near-perfect fit. Asolo is expensive, but if you've been suffering from heel slip, give it a try.

I pay next to no attention to other types of shoes. Flats in black or navy that will go with pants. That's it. Nobody looks at other people's shoes, in spite of what advertisers try to convince us. But hiking shoes - they're important!

Bought my first pair of Merrell Moab walking shoes. Really like these but they fit different than any shoe or boot I've ever worn. I'd agree with the suggestion to visit a well stocked retailer.

ETA: DW and both have a pair of Keen hiking boots. They've been a good boot.

Asolo boots fit my feet and I find good prices at Sierra Trading post. I like the waterproof Gortex variety.

I have had good luck with a pair of Vasque boots for the moderate hiking I've been doing for the last three years or so. I'm hiking about 500-600 miles a year so these boots have about 1,500 miles on them and they are holding up remarkably well.

Before we went to Switzerland last year, I used Amazon Prime Wardrobe to order 10 pairs of hiking shoes to try on at home. You send back whatever you don't want and pay only for what you keep.

I have small feet, and am lucky if a store has 3 pairs in my size, so to have 10 to compare and choose among was an amazing luxury. Plus, I could try them on at different times of day with different socks and wear the three finalists around in the house for a while. I highly recommend this method for something like hiking boots where it's critical to get a good fit. If Amazon doesn't have the ones you're considering, try Zappos, which also has a free return policy.

Outstanding! I'm checking all products you have offered. I never really had a true hiking boot/shoe so I'm going to purchase a pair to see if they will stand up better then just a walking boot will. I can go through a pair of good outdoor boot a year hiking and tired of constantly getting a new pair. Durability is a must.

Thank you.

Outstanding! I'm checking all products you have offered. I never really had a true hiking boot/shoe so I'm going to purchase a pair to see if they will stand up better then just a walking boot will. I can go through a pair of good outdoor boot a year hiking and tired of constantly getting a new pair. Durability is a must.

Thank you.

I always buy Keene targhee’s . They are not super durable, but they always fit me perfectly and I never have blister issues on long hikes or issues getting them broken in. They always work great right from the get go. So I’m willing to buy a new pair every year. I wear them a lot even when not hiking.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with Columbia hiking boots and you can often find them on sale. One thing is an 8" high boot may take some searching. Mine aren't that high for sure.

Trail runners are what quite a lot of people use nowadays. Many brands are available. Boots are kinda old-fashioned and heavy. Even New Balance, Nike, Salomon, and many others make them.

I've used NB trail runners everywhere: Grand Canyon, Sierra, Adirondacks, Cascades, Big Bend in all kinds of snow, rain, dry, rocks, whatever. They cost about $50 to $60. While they are available in most sporting goods stores, even a place like REI sells them.

Anyways, there is very little need for a boot that covers the ankle or goes up high. Maybe on glaciers where you are using crampons, too.

Trail runners need no breaking in; they just work. I wouldn't worry about durability myself. If you use your shoes a lot, then they should wear out. Indeed, maybe a heavy boot wears out faster because you are not light on your feet?

Last edited:
Agree that fit is critical, I'd rather have cheap hiking boots that fit good than quality expensive hiking boots that don't fit properly. I have Merrell low cut hiking shoes and Columbia hiking boots, both are very good IMO. For me the low cut hiking shoes are a better choice in most cases, easier on the feet, boots can take a long time to break in. Hiking shoes/boots are no different than running shoes, even the quality ones are good for only so many miles, they aren't meant to last a lifetime.

Trail runners are what quite a lot of people use nowadays. Many brands are available. Boots are kinda old-fashioned and heavy. Even New Balance, Nike, Salomon, and many others make them.

I've used NB trail runners everywhere: Grand Canyon, Sierra, Adirondacks, Cascades, Big Bend in all kinds of snow, rain, dry, rocks, whatever. They cost about $50 to $60. While they are available in most sporting goods stores, even a place like REI sells them.

Anyways, there is very little need for a boot that covers the ankle or goes up high. Maybe on glaciers where you are using crampons, too.

Trail runners need no breaking in; they just work. I wouldn't worry about durability myself. If you use your shoes a lot, then they should wear out. Indeed, maybe a heavy boot wears out faster because you are not light on your feet?

This is correct. Boots are likely not what you want for any distance hiking. Trail runners are great. Most popular among long distance hikers are Altra Lone Peaks, Brooks Cascadia, or perhaps Solamons. Leave plenty of room in your toe box.

I’ve worn trail runners and Merrill hiking boots. I prefer the boots, which provide better ankle support and for the thicker soles. I found with the trail runners that I felt every rock I stepped on.

A lot of my hiking is in open rough country. I like to have some ankle support if I can. In the spring I like put socks over pants or pants inside of boot is one reason for wanting higher boots/shoe type.

In winter and spring I have been using Danner boots which are higher so I can tuck pant legs in boots to stay dry and cleaner. Summer I wear snake guards at all times when out and about.

Last edited:
I blew through a pair of Merrill MOAB2's in just 2 days of mountain hiking in Switzerland this year (24 miles into our 130 mile hike). I had to use duct tape until we got to a "big town". That being said, I'm convinced it was a fluke pair.

I've tried many different hiking boots, and the relatively inexpensive Merrill's fit me. They are light-weight, relatively cool, and very comfortable.

I'm hoping to buy something on black friday for a 100 mile hike on the John Muir coming up in July, but I'll likely end up with the Merrill again!

I like Oboz.

I hadn't heard of them before I bought a pair at REI, but I love them.

I like Oboz.

I hadn't heard of them before I bought a pair at REI, but I love them.

My girlfriend has a pair and also likes them. Trail runners are great when you are not walking on uneven rocks.. when you are then not so much. Although maybe there are ones with more rugged lug soles ? Those might be ok if they exist

Bass Pro Shops has a good assortment of boots. I go through 3-4 pairs a year from walking. They have a large selection and usually lots of wide (that I need). I just go when they have one of their regular sales.

The downside is that I don't have the discipline to stay out of the adult toy departments when I'm there (hunting, fishing, grilling, redneck decor, etc).
:facepalm:

I have had several pairs of Merrills that I liked, but recently got a pair of
Keen Targhee II Mid's. They have a bigger toe box. Haven't hiked a lot in them yet but so far so good.

Many decades ago I did a lot of backpacking and had a great all leather boot with Norwegian welting suitable for attaching crampons. Took a couple of years to break in but once done it had formed to my foot. Lasted a few decades before I had to opt for a lighter boot. Although I don't backpack now I have a couple of pairs of Merrill Moab 2s boots and like them for their comfort, light weight, and durability. The price is reasonable too.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom