Accessory Dwelling Unit ( ADU ) who has built one?

skyking1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We are shopping for view property and I got on the trail of permitting and rules for ADUs.
I figure on having property that will qualify for one, and probably building a detached ADU right away for possibly my brother and his wife.
Where we are shopping, you can build an ADU up to 50% of the primary residence Sq. Ft. , up to 1250 Sq. Ft.
Our primary plan is 2000 so a max of 1000 ft cottage. That is rather a generous space for what we are all used to. They would have the benefit of use of the large shop to stretch out a bit.
Who has done an ADU, how did it go for you?

Be sure and check with building permit department. Go over the "fine" print.
I planned on building an ADU. According to general rules, lot size, I qualified.

When discussing the ADU in person. Found out I did not qualify. Telephone/cable/electric lines in the backyard. "Easement", rule was, 20 ft no build from back/end of property line going forward towards the front of property,

Result. 20ft x 100ft across. No build. Also, found out, the surface area of existing
structures limited the size of ADU. Also, anything built in the backyard, without a permit.

May have to be torn down. (ie. deck, cover, things built over 30+ years ago).

Also, check out utilities. May be cheaper to Have "one" gas/electric meter.
New hook up's can be expensive.

Of course, each County/State differs. Here in SF. Bay Area, CA. Regulations and costs
are nuts. Good luck.

I have dug deep into the county website and documents today. There is a checklist to follow when getting started. I would confirm that the new property would allow one, and also what I need to do with the septlc and water. There will be calls to the planning and the health department about all the details.
This property we are shopping for is for a new home and shop build. I will have a single power meter for house/shop/ADU.
Lot size is in the ~5 acre size, so we will not be fighting setbacks or existing structures.
The order of march:
Confirm all things regarding building.
Purchase property after it is completely vetted.
Build primary home.
Build shop.
Build ADU.

My brother and I will do the bulk of the construction, because we do enjoy that kind of work. He is already retired and we will get this rolling in the last year of my employment, so we can get a refi on the existing home if needed.
I have the cash for the land, and was going to sell this house to build the new one but we may refinance while still employed for the construction.

Be sure to cover off septic if applicable. Our neighbors had applied fpr a variance to convert a garage to an ADU but it cratered because they couldn't get a septic permit from the state.

The particular property has 3 bedroom septic installed. That is not enough so I would be getting the lowdown on adding to the drainfield for at least an additional bedroom.
Another property has a 4 bedroom septic but the CC&Rs there will probably shoot down an ADU.

For the septic you will probably want to get a perc test done first, there is some overlap on field sizing depending on the drainage rate. The septic tank may also need to be replaced or moved dependent on the current size and location. They are usually sized on the number of BR's and there are setback requirements from any building. Had to move my septic tank when an addition was added to the house.

The particular property has 3 bedroom septic installed. That is not enough so I would be getting the lowdown on adding to the drainfield for at least an additional bedroom.
Another property has a 4 bedroom septic but the CC&Rs there will probably shoot down an ADU.

You might want to see if the septic design could have been permitted for 4 bedrooms but was actually only permitted for 3 bedrooms... IOW, was capable of more than 3 bedrooms as designed but was permitted for only 3 bedrooms as a practical matter since the building only had 3 bedrooms.... in which case it might be able to be upgraded by only processing additional paperwork rather than physically altering it.

"Go over the fine print.
I planned on building an ADU. According to general rules, lot size, I qualified.

When discussing the ADU in person. Found out I did not qualify.

..."

Similar experience. County website seemed very encouraging about ADUs, but in reality super picky about it.

Back
Top Bottom