Ad in fortune cookie

Mr._Graybeard

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We dined on Chinese takeout yesterday and got the obligatory fortune cookies. When I opened the cookie up and pulled out the fortune, on the reverse side of the usual trope of Eastern wisdom was an ad for a Capital One credit card! Has anyone else noticed this development?

On the upside, the quality of printing is much better than previous fortunes I've had to squint to read. The lucky numbers are still printed in red, though.

All I get on reverse side of fortune cookies are potential winning lottery numbers.

I would stop going to that restaurant. Some things should be sacred! Not even joking.

Did it say a Cap One card is in your future? What’s next, subliminal advertising in alphabet soup?

This thread got me thinking about so-called Chinese cuisine. Of course, the food is probably more accurately described as generic Asian and even Asian-American.

For fun I looked up the origin of the fortune cookie and found through Wikipedia that its origin is actually Japanese! Wikipedia claims that the cookie became a Chinese restaurant staple only when Chinese and Japanese cultures intermingled in California. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortune_cookie

Did it say a Cap One card is in your future? What’s next, subliminal advertising in alphabet soup?

Actually, the ad was for a card called "Savor" that rewards -- what else? -- dining out.

When I opened the cookie up and pulled out the fortune, on the reverse side of the usual trope of Eastern wisdom was an ad for a Capital One credit card!

Capital One: What's in Your Cookie?

The lucky numbers are still printed in red, though.
I guess that's good. Everyone knows number in red are particularly lucky!

Sacrilege! Although I have to admit it's rare that we go to a Chinese restaurant, and never around here, because they generally get very low scores on the health department inspections. So we stay out of them.

As long as it didn’t say I’m a rat from China, aparently there is a YouTube out there fishing a rat from a hotpot. Apparently that hotpot chain has been losing money ever since.

I have a good friend who owns an upscale Chinese restaurant and he is an absolute fanatic about the quality of the food he serves. Such a welcome change from the reputation that neighborhood places used to have back in the day (although it was probably undeserved even then).

They are using every available surface your eyes might rest on for a second. I’ve seen ads on escalator handrails and airplane seat tray tables.

Around here they have plastic inserts in the grocery store child seats with ads on them. I'm waiting to see ads over the urinals in the men's rooms and on the doors of stalls but so far they haven't sunk that low. Yet.

We dined on Chinese takeout yesterday and got the obligatory fortune cookies. When I opened the cookie up and pulled out the fortune, on the reverse side of the usual trope of Eastern wisdom was an ad for a Capital One credit card! Has anyone else noticed this development?

On the upside, the quality of printing is much better than previous fortunes I've had to squint to read. The lucky numbers are still printed in red, though.

GOsh, it used to be suggested lottery numbers!

Still laughing about the fortune that said something like “disregard next fortune”.

Many years ago we took a tour through a fortune cookie bakery in Chinatown, San Francisco. It was fascinating to watch the process of folding them into the proper shape while inserting the slip of paper.

But the part of the process that got everyone laughing was one separate line where they did the um, risqué fortunes. They made an effort to keep them separate from the general run.

I read once about a minister's retirement party held at a Chinese restaurant where either by accident or due to a mischievous member of the congregation, the wrong sort of fortune cookies were handed out at the end of the meal. Must have been quite a scene!

Around here they have plastic inserts in the grocery store child seats with ads on them. I'm waiting to see ads over the urinals in the men's rooms and on the doors of stalls but so far they haven't sunk that low. Yet.

I've seen both, including a monitor screen over the urinal that displays little commercials. Problem with my eyes I have to step back a foot or so to focus, and this makes everyone else envious ;)

I'm glad it was an ad.

Could have been one of those nasty children or service critters in other threads. [emoji111]

I'm glad it was an ad.

Could have been one of those nasty children or service critters in other threads. [emoji111]

Like this ?
poo-ping-chinese-restaurant-group-costume-101261-800x530.jpg

I'm waiting to see ads over the urinals in the men's rooms ...

We've had eye-level ads over the urinals for years. OF course, this is Wisconsin, where tavern urinals get a workout.

Anyone remember when they actually had fortunes in the cookies? Now it's more often a dumb platitude which means nothing. Still waiting for one to come true which said I'd "meet a pretty blond from Sweden." Now that was a fortune, and pretty darn specific.

You can always make your own risque fortunes by adding "...in bed" to the end of each.

Back
Top Bottom