Advice for Selling our Nissan Leaf?

Carmax is out because it's 250 miles from here. Thus, I'd have to drive the Leaf 70 miles, find a place to recharge overnight, rinse and repeat.

I think I'll call around dealers tomorrow. I'm willing to make less money for the convenience, but I'll think about it.

If I sell on Craigslist, what kind of payment should I require? I hear about these fake cashiers' check scams ...

I'm seeing a 2011 Leaf locally for $4,999. Ours is a 2016.

Ask for cash and have them meet you at your bank, have the title notarized and deposit the funds in your account.

I've been thinking about buying a leaf, where are you located?

Picture??

mBncgTc.png

You can get decent ball park figures on KBB and Edmunds for both PP or dealer sale. That way, you'll know what to let it go for in either case.

You can get decent ball park figures on KBB and Edmunds for both PP or dealer sale. That way, you'll know what to let it go for in either case.

Nice. Below is what I found (from Edmunds).

So, $1,600 cost to avoid the hassle of advertising, getting cash, worrying about buyers? Hmm.

19Q3Cko.png

In my experience, if you spend $2-300 to have it detailed so it's almost like new, and you are willing to wait to get your price, you'll probably get more than the private party amount and closer to the dealer retail.

In my experience, if you spend $2-300 to have it detailed so it's almost like new, and you are willing to wait to get your price, you'll probably get more than the private party amount and closer to the dealer retail.

Well, now you're making it even harder to decide.

have you considered going through kbb? They will provide a guaranteed price with a local dealer. I sold my 2011 ranger a few years ago and got $20K for it.

you can actually get a guaranteed deal from kbb

have you considered going through kbb? They will provide a guaranteed price with a local dealer. I sold my 2011 ranger a few years ago and got $20K for it.

Interesting. I just tried that (Offer $6955), but the participating dealers were too far away.

I always pay for detailing before I sell.

Interesting. I just tried that (Offer $6955), but the participating dealers were too far away.

well crud - mine was somewhat of a drive but I couldn't believe the deal - I got back just about what I paid for the truck

I would try revaluing the car with an upper income Bay Area zip code. My 2013 Corolla is worth considerably more here than where it's parked in Arizona. I suspect the market for electric cars is much hotter down here than up near the Oregon border. Might even be worth finding a way to get it down here.

I would try putting it on Craigslist for a week or so and see if you get any real offers. Just screen out (ignore) the obvious scammers and make sure to put “firm” in your description. If anyone responds, as you’re talking to them, you’ll be able to tell if they’re serious. Serious buyers ask specific questions about the car, like how many hours is the battery currently getting. Then if no takers, find a dealer that will come and get it and take your lumps. You’ll soon forget about getting rid of the Leaf the more you drive the Tesla.

You can sell any car that runs for $1000 fast.

Yeah. Of course. And the seats have to be not ripped to shreds and the bumpers still attached.

But you get the idea.

How much would it cost to have it delivered to carmax or somewhere else you could easily sell the car?

How much would it cost to have it delivered to carmax or somewhere else you could easily sell the car?

Nice idea, but that's a whole 'nother hassle.

We bought our Leaf in Portland (500 miles on the odometer, $13,500), and had it shipped home. It arrived on a sketchy trailer driven by some nice but sketchy Ukrainians.

56aJa3H.png

Getting it off the trailer was an adventure:

d3DZUOt.png

That's why the idea of shipping the car doesn't appeal to me.

Maybe detailing wasn’t the right word. I take them to a car wash and they clean the inside and the windows besides washing the car. The cost is 40.

Seriously, you pay to detail $1000 cars?
I still think that you might sometimes make back your money and then some on a full $200+ detailing even in the $1K range (although not below, because that probably means major cosmetic issues, like rust or multiple pieces of trim broken/missing, or more obviously, mechanical or electrical issues). Sitting in a car that smells and feels clean and looks polished makes it feel newer, which makes people feel like it's worth more, which is great for private sales. But you're right, around that price range is where it gets to be more of a judgement call. Dealers know better, so I wouldn't bother for a dealer sale, but note that they always do that kind of cleaning and polishing on all their used cars...of course, their cost is lower.

Back
Top Bottom