Advice for Selling our Nissan Leaf?

Put it on Craig's and FB Marketplace while you re deciding.

Good idea, I also used Cars.com. I'd set up a new email address and a Google Voice number for this, though; Craigslist does its own anonymous messaging, and for FB Marketplace obviously people can message you via FB. I wouldn't post a personal email or phone number.

Sold it to a used car dealer.

I cleaned the inside thoroughly and took it to a car wash and then to the Nissan dealer.

The Nissan dealer offered $5,000, because the damage caused by the neighbor's rock sculpture (discussed here, but I can't find it).

I went to a used car dealer, who offered $6,500 but I was able to get him up to $7,000. Signed some papers and accepted a check.

It's a relief to have that done with.

Having sold about a dozen of my used cars over the decades, I am always struck with a feeling of sliminess doing the transaction. Most of my cars were in excellent shape and fairly priced, but for some reason I feel like I might be cheating the poor buyers out of something. Hard to explain.

I felt very good about the buyer, who was a "used car salesman," but seemed reputable.

I had fun before opening the trunk. I said, "You're going to see something that you're not familiar with. It's called a 'spare tire.'" The car didn't come with one, but I added one that I bought from eBay. I also gave him the brand-new jumper cables, which can be necessary in a Leaf but not a Tesla.

7 grand sounds good to me.

Since we're trying to #blowthedough, I sometimes try to "live like a billionaire." A billionaire wouldn't go through the hassle of putting the car on Craigslist. But it's tradeoff.

I felt very good about the buyer, who was a "used car salesman," but seemed reputable.

I had fun before opening the trunk. I said, "You're going to see something that you're not familiar with. It's called a 'spare tire.'" The car didn't come with one, but I added one that I bought from eBay. I also gave him the brand-new jumper cables, which can be necessary in a Leaf but not a Tesla.

Don't forget to file your notice of sale with your state licensing authority.
I had a situation where my buyer received multiple parking tickets and the city turned over to collections who dunned me. City could not "find" (too lazy to look?) the notice on state records and refused to cancel collection. I had to file a dispute with credit agency which included a copy of notice I sent to state to get off my credit report.

Since we're trying to #blowthedough, I sometimes try to "live like a billionaire." A billionaire wouldn't go through the hassle of putting the car on Craigslist. But it's tradeoff.

Rather than sell it you could donate it.

Or find a grandkid/niece/nephew who needs some wheels...

I advertised my 2013 Corolla 35k miles on Craig List & Autotrader for $7500, got a crowd around my house with couple fist fights erupting on who arrived first, had to call the cops and cancel the sale.

No more trying to help local community.

I might be interested

I would recommend ebay, but that may require too much of an effort to get up to speed on the ins and outs...I have an ebay business that funds my world travel, so it is easy for me to say....

but I am looking at buying a Leaf -- can you give me the details on where you are located, what year, what model and how much mileage? And importantly, how much you are thinking of asking...I am in Colorado, just north of Denver and East of Boulder

I would recommend ebay, but that may require too much of an effort to get up to speed on the ins and outs...I have an ebay business that funds my world travel, so it is easy for me to say....

but I am looking at buying a Leaf -- can you give me the details on where you are located, what year, what model and how much mileage? And importantly, how much you are thinking of asking...I am in Colorado, just north of Denver and East of Boulder
Forget it, he said he sold it a number of posts back.

I advertised my 2013 Corolla 35k miles on Craig List & Autotrader for $7500, got a crowd around my house with couple fist fights erupting on who arrived first, had to call the cops and cancel the sale.

I never post my address on Craigslist. Only a nearby major intersection and meet somewhere near there.

I never post my address on Craigslist. Only a nearby major intersection and meet somewhere near there.
I met buyers in front of the local police satellite station, like Buckeye said, and I only met one at a time. Also, ragabnh, if people were that eager to buy, sounds like you could have priced it a little higher! I never had more than two or three serious inquiries at a time, but I usually got close to my price. I priced them high enough to give myself some room to negotiate, to let the buyer feel they got a good deal, but obviously not high enough to scare away buyers.

I agree with being cautious, but what is the reasoning there? Is someone going to say, "Hey, this guy has a 2013 Corolla, he must have a lot of money stashed in his house"? Or, "Hey, there's a house at 25 Elm Street! We should rob it."

If you're advertising gold bars, I would totally get it.

I don’t give someone my address until they say they want to see it. We have never had anything bad happen.

If you are selling a car privately, the buyer will see your address sooner or later. It's on the title. OK to meet away from home for the initial look at the car, and that will screen out non-buyers.

Can someone give me an example of what might happen if someone sees your address at the time the ad is placed?

Back
Top Bottom