Am I going to have trouble relating to working folks?

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Yesterday, 2 1/2 months into retirement, I had lunch with my old 'assistant' who now has my job. I liked the guy and hired him to replace me, which actually happened according to plan. He seemed happy enough and brought me up to date with the latest work developments and gossip. I tried to look interested, I hope I didn't give offense, but I really don't miss the staff meetings, budget [-]cuts[/-] adjustments, and the petty stuff. I really liked the work I did and I liked the people enough that I would socialize with a number of them even outside of work. So I am surprised at how little work talk interested me.
Am I going to have trouble relating to working folks?

You may or may not.

I did and still do. My eyes glaze over and I say mmm, hmmm a lot. :duh:

Last edited:
Probably. If the only real bond was all the work-related stuff, then it will fade. Did for me. But if it was a person who you have had other outside of work interests with, it can continue, though not as convenient.

What bbb and Telly said. The relationship fades and eventually all but disappears.

I worked for the same company for 27 years and with many of the same people for 20 or more years. Three years after retiring I may exchange an occasional email or two with a handful of them. Life moves on.

Back
Top Bottom