American Idol

The heck with the contestants; will the producers be bringing back KISS and Santana to perform at the finale?

Oh yeah. Last year's finale was so much fun. Queen, Kiss, Cindy Lauper, Steve Martin, Santana. DH and I had relatives in from out of town who had never seen Idol before. They loved it! Natch, I was bummed Adam lost, but hey, it's only Idol;)

I thought it was a wonderful finale, and I'm sad that this year's AI is done.

DH watches AI, I just listen to it from the study. Sometimes I go see who is singing. Tonight, I just listened. I like both Lee and Crystal, but she blew him away tonight, IMHO.

I think Crystal is considerably more talented. However, I think Lee's fan base has grown a lot for some reason over the last few weeks and will likely win.

I think Crystal is considerably more talented. However, I think Lee's fan base has grown a lot for some reason over the last few weeks and will likely win.

At this point I think it really doesn't matter who wins. In the past, it seems like frequently those who came in second or third ended up becoming more famous than the winner. I don't know why, but perhaps this is because the winner has so many obligations other than making records. At any rate, Crystal, Lee, and probably Casey too, now have huge opportunities to follow their dreams.

But for the record, I think Crystal blew Lee away last night. Lee was fantastic last week but his performances last night were not as good IMO.

They both will get record deals............:)

But for the record, I think Crystal blew Lee away last night. Lee was fantastic last week but his performances last night were not as good IMO.

Agreed. I don't get the excitement over Lee (and he is from this general area, so there are a lot of fans around here). My wife really likes him, I don't get it. He seems 'adequate' to me. It's not like he has much range, or can hold a note - I really don't see much in the way of technical ability. He sings 'nice' though - about all I can say, and IMO, not enough to win. The judges keep telling him to 'give it more' - it seems obvious by now that there is no more 'more' there - I doubt he is holding back and coasting in the most important performances of his life. If he could dish out 'more', he would have by now.

Crystal is talented. Does she represent the best that there is out there? I don't think she is all that great (but very, very good indeed). But performance wise, IMO she left old Lee in the dust - wasn't even a competition. But that doesn't mean much, the number of texts/minute will decide the winner.

Yes, I love to listen to Crystal too! Forgive me if this one has been posted before, but this is amazing (her at 13):

Wow! Thanks, had not seen that before. Her talent really shines through, even at age 13.

-ERD50

Well, for me, tonight wrapped AI up for me. I won't watch it next year. Two reasons:
1. I don't think they will be able to replace Simon
2. Tonight proved it is a popularity contest not a talent contest

Well, for me, tonight wrapped AI up for me. I won't watch it next year.
Tonight proved it is a popularity contest not a talent contest

That was first proven in season 2 then multiple times afterward. Nothing new. I'll still watch.

I don't watch it for the contest aspects, and I don't watch it to hear the judges' banter. I watch American Idol because I enjoy listening to the music.

I'll continue to watch it next year.

Edited to add: Well, I'll amend that - - I wouldn't enjoy it if all the contestants left sounded like William Hung, so in that sense the contest aspects matter to me. And when someone I like is eliminated I do miss listening to their music a lot. But at the end like this, who cares? Both finalists will get record contracts and will have all the opportunities in the world.

Try an iPod - better music, fewer commercials. :D

But it's not live semi-amateurs! You don't get the thrill of knowing that the contestant could accidently upchuck all over his shoes in front of the entire country when his mouth opens to hit that high note.... :LOL:

OK, I enjoy HIGH RISK music. :D

But it's not live! You don't get the thrill of knowing that the contestant could accidently upchuck all over his shoes when his mouth opens to hit that high note.... :LOL:
Heh, you need to tune into Nascar if you watch for the chance to see a crash. :cool:

Heh, you need to tune into Nascar if you watch for the chance to see a crash. :cool:

Oh poo, no music there.

American Idol is a modern-day substitute for the Ed Sullivan Show. Remember when Elvis, and later the Beatles, first showed up on Ed Sullivan? Pretty doggone exciting. We knew that everything depended on how well they did that one night.

Well the idol contestants are a little more amateurish and they get a few "re-do"s if they don't blow it too badly, but both shows were live performances. Equal opportunities to completely lose it.

Not surprised that Lee won even though, IMHO, Crystal is much better. So we have another guitar strumming guy who feels "safe" to Middle America. David Cook, Kris Allen, and Lee Dewyze are all talented, but I can’t see any of them being future candidates for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Mamasox was a bit too rad as a single mom with dreds and a ginormous sunflower tat on her back. Last year Adam was too rad as a gay man who was fierce and sexy instead of playing the non-threatening comic stereotype so often featured in sitcoms. I’m assuming most of America knew Adam was gay and his “coming out” interview in Rolling Stone was not a big shocker.

Don't even get me started on Chris Daughtry - I mean really - Taylor Hicks?

*steps off of soapbox*

Seriously though, while last night's finale had a few moments, it couldn’t compare to season 8’s final blast off. The brothers Gibb and Chicago? Plus, am I the only one who found it painful to watch Joe Cocker? On the plus side, Janet Jackson was fascinating to watch and it was fun to see many of the former contestants back on the big stage.

. So we have another guitar strumming guy who feels "safe" to Middle America. David Cook, Kris Allen, and Lee Dewyze are all talented, but I can’t see any of them being future candidates for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Mamasox was a bit too rad as a single mom with dreds and a ginormous sunflower tat on her back. Last year Adam was too rad as a gay man who was fierce and sexy instead of playing the non-threatening comic stereotype so often featured in sitcoms. I’m assuming most of America knew Adam was gay and his “coming out” interview in Rolling Stone was not a big shocker.

I was just thinking the same thing last night . Since I've always lived in a more liberal area I am shocked that people would not vote for a single Mom or a gay man when they should obviously be the winners .

Not surprised that Lee won even though, IMHO, Crystal is much better. So we have another guitar strumming guy who feels "safe" to Middle America. David Cook, Kris Allen, and Lee Dewyze are all talented, but I can’t see any of them being future candidates for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Mamasox was a bit too rad as a single mom with dreds and a ginormous sunflower tat on her back. Last year Adam was too rad as a gay man who was fierce and sexy instead of playing the non-threatening comic stereotype so often featured in sitcoms.

DW watched it; her response when they announced Lee as the winner was "it's the revenge of the nerds!"

I was just thinking the same thing last night . Since I've always lived in a more liberal area I am shocked that people would not vote for a single Mom or a gay man when they should obviously be the winners .

Lately, the TEENS of America are having the say...........they are doing all the texting and phone calling. Being older, I like Crystal better. But, Lee obviously got the teenie girl vote, much like David Cook and Kris Allen of years past.

Daughtry is incredible. I remember how surprised he was to take 4th, but Taylor Who and Katherine What haven't set the world on fire.........:)

Lately, the TEENS of America are having the say...........they are doing all the texting and phone calling. Being older, I like Crystal better. But, Lee obviously got the teenie girl vote, much like David Cook and Kris Allen of years past.

Daughtry is incredible. I remember how surprised he was to take 4th, but Taylor Who and Katherine What haven't set the world on fire.........:)

Yeah, I think you're right about the teens. Daughtry is incredible - should have won it for sure. Biggest Idol shocker of them all....

YouTube - Idol Shocker!

WOW WOW WOW.

I just listened to Crystal sing when she was 13 (Thanks CJ!) on youtube, and she is amazingly good.

I guess when you are talented, you are talented. Born with it, ya know. I am glad they discovered her.

Back
Top Bottom