Another high profile person gets fired for his twitter remark.

So glad that I don't use Twitter. :)

It seems these days we are more insulted by words than actions.

Standards of what's considered acceptable to say in public is changing and I think this is for the better. Trying to insult someone by comparing them to another demographic group is asking for trouble.

I'm guessing though that there may have been other reasons to fire the guy and this may have just been the last straw.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

No two ways about it, that twitter comment far outweighs any of the good he might have accomplished promoting golf over the years. Striking his name from ever being associated is the least they could do.

I believe that actions like this could be indicative of early stage dementia when it is very common for good judgement and filters to start to decline. Impulsive behavior occurs more frequently, and the person doing it seems just as surprised at it as everyone else.

We all have to filter our speech, but people in the public eye are usually very successful at it because of the possible consequences. I think Donald Sterling was demonstrating some signs of dementia when his comments were considered racist and he ultimately lost the LA Clippers.

I think Ted Bishop is pretty young, and probably is still very sharp mentally. But I do believe that small impulse control issues start to indicate some mental boundary changes.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have used that phrase but it always makes me laugh.

Golf in the USA and the US golf pros are not doing well at all for many reasons no doubt. Maybe the PGA saw an opportunity to boot him and took it.

In this type of "firing," punishment sometimes does not fit the crime. If Clinton kept his job after Lewinsky scandal ... then again, there were no tweeter or FB then to broadcast things blow by blow as it happens. Also, as Bob Dylan's song says, times they are a changing. Time has changed, and so are the acceptable PC behavior for public figures. There is no crying over the changes saying we went overboard on PC. You need to learn to deal with it, especially for someone in that position.

These tweets / posts show what these people *really* think & believe in. They can say what they want later, but their behavior & statements in unguarded moments tell the truth about their innermost beliefs.

So glad that I don't use Twitter. :)

Off the topic... but the power of twitter to most of us (non - public figures) is as listeners - not tweeters. With a little search, you can get the latest status on news stories, traffic, weather, road conditions, tips for places to see etc.

These tweets / posts show what these people *really* think & believe in. They can say what they want later, but their behavior & statements in unguarded moments tell the truth about their innermost beliefs.

I think this is much too general. Sometimes it means nothing. Just off the cuff remarks which mean something to you, that mean something entirely different to the listener. A quick tweet or remark means just that you haven't considered everything it might mean to every listener. It is just what it means to you at the moment, which might be quite different from what is taken by a listener.

Much better to take into account the totality of the person, his deeds, his thoughtful words, his treatment of others etc. If any flippant remark any of us ever made were to determine our entire future, we would all be sunk.

If someone is trying to offend I notice. If there is no intent and actions don't suggest evil thought I don't. There is way too much real evil in the world - and yet it is easier and safer to tut tut in outrage over nonsense like this little girl comment.

I often dismiss the overreaction to remarks like these. I thought the "girlie men" remarks by Gov. Schwarzenegger were pretty funny and that was only 10 years ago.

To me, the worst case of PC gone totally awry was when in 1999 David Howard, a white aide to Washington D.C.'s black mayor Anthony Williams, used the word "niggardly" in reference to a budget. He was forced to resign after someone complained about it and how it sounded too much like another word which actually is offensive. And Howard was correctly using the word which had absolutely NOTHING to do with black people.

Controversies about the word "niggardly" - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So because someone else doesn't know what this other word means, Howard had to lose his job? That rots.

As someone else mentioned the comment was likely the excuse, not the reason, for termination.

...To me, the worst case of PC gone totally awry was when in 1999 David Howard, a white aide to Washington D.C.'s black mayor Anthony Williams, used the word "niggardly" in reference to a budget...

This is another example of someone saying something that means one thing to the speaker, and something entirely different to a listener who misinterprets his meaning.

Not exactly the same, but reminds me of the "Little monkey" remark Howard Cosell made years ago. He had used the term before without controversy, but one time it caught someones ear and they demanded an apology, which as I recall he refused.

Thinking about that makes me wonder if Kris Kringle asking young Natalie Wood to act like a monkey in the Miracle on 34th Street could be done nowadays if the little girl happened to be black.

Back
Top Bottom