Anti-reflective window film?

jjquantz

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hey Gang,

DW likes to sit out on the patio and watch baseball games.That's great, so we set up our old flat screen to view through a window. This works well in the evening but, unfortunately, DW is a Cubs fan and this means a lot of day games. The glare on the windows makes watching difficult during daylight hours. Do any of you know of any anti-reflective window films that I could apply that would cut the glare significantly? I've found a lot of films that claim to reduce the sunlight entering a window but haven't found any films that explicitly claim to reduce reflections. Thanks.

I think any film you put on the window will make it more difficult to see from the outside. Most films are metallic and will also interfere with cell phone signals.

Edit to add: some type of awning or umbrella might help. Even a blanket or towel help up next to the window. If you can keep the sunlight off the window you should have a better view of the TV screen.

Last edited:
No possibility of placing the TV or a smaller one outside on your patio even if it was portable? We have a number of neighbors who have covered patios that have sets permanently mounted outside.

Do any of you know of any anti-reflective window films that I could apply that would cut the glare significantly?
Would polarized glasses work? Generally they do a great job of filtering out glare from windows and other flat surfaces (light that is horizontally polarized). I know polarized glasses aren't great for viewing some LCD displays, but depending on the technology in your particular TV display they might prove to be fine. Maybe get a cheap pair, the lightest ("least dark") you can find, and give it a shot.

Last edited:
Open the window, maybe?

This would have the extra benefit of airing out the house.

Hey Gang,

DW likes to sit out on the patio and watch baseball games.That's great, so we set up our old flat screen to view through a window. This works well in the evening but, unfortunately, DW is a Cubs fan ...

Sounds like this is the root problem. Fix this, and you fix the problem.

I do not think there is a cure, maybe we could organize a telethon to raise money for research? :cool:

A Dying Cubs Fan's Last Request by Steve Goodman

Do they still play the blues in Chicago
When baseball season rolls around
When the snow melts away,
Do the Cubbies still play
In their ivy-covered burial ground
When I was a boy they were my pride and joy
But now they only bring fatigue
To the home of the brave
The land of the free
And the doormat of the National League ....

But what do you expect,
When you raise up a young boy's hopes
And then just crush 'em like so many paper beer cups.
Year after year after year
after year, after year, after year, after year, after year ....

The dying man's friends told him to cut it out
They said stop it that's an awful shame
He whispered, "Don't Cry, we'll meet by and by near the Heavenly Hall of Fame
He said, "I've got season's tickets to watch the Angels now,
So its just what I'm going to do
He said, "but you the living, you're stuck here with the Cubs,
So its me that feels sorry for you!" ....

As to the reflection, I really think you will need to experiment. I wouldn't attach any films though, until you determine they work for you.

-ERD50

Thanks for the comments. In no particular order - A) it's a non-opening window, 2) it's not sunlight on the window, but reflection of lighter objects in the background, iii) We were hoping that this could replace the dragging out of the smaller tv, and d) if she weren't a Cub fan we wouldn't have this problem.

We spent some time watching last night and things are improved since all the trees have leaved out and are now blocking most of the sky. Bright sky had been most of the problem. It's still not perfect, but I think we can live with it.

I may try the polarizing glasses, just out of curiosity.

I wonder if something like this might work?
3M™ Sun Control Window Films

Thanks for the link. They have really nice tech sheets available (unlike some of the other leads I had been following) and it looks like this may be a dead end. Reflectivity of untreated window glass is about 8% and transmission is about 90%. One of the films does, indeed, have a reflectivity of only 5%, unfortunately it only transmits 39% of the light. This seems to worsen the S/N ratio rather than improve it. None of the films seem to improve on the ratio of reflectivity to transmission although they seem to have at least one film that significantly increases the ratio of reflectivity to transmission.

Oh well, I was hoping that I could find something that worked like anti-reflective coatings on lenses. Apparently not easy to find if it even exists.

Back
Top Bottom