Any Amazon Prime Households Here?

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm a bit confused about my situation. Apparently according to Amazon, I'm the Prime Member and when getting the 5% rewards from the Amazon Prime Store Card (Synchrony Bank) , only I can sign up for that. Yet DW can order merchandise and get it shipped via 2 day Prime.

She also sampled some kind of Prime video but when she wanted to see more, it wasn't allowed. Amazon says if I add DW to the household, she should be able to accomplish that.

Questions:
1)does it cost more to add the second adult to the household? Amazon says no but because of some initial confusion, confirmation would be useful.
2)What is her status now? She gets the Prime shipping benefits but she is not
a household member?
3)Does that thing about the video sound like it will be fixed if DW is added to
household?

My understanding of this whole situation is probably not very good so please feel free to clarify.

We just use one login in our house. I guess technically I am the prime member but it isn't an issue since DH just uses the same login as I use when he does something on Amazon.

One of my daughters is a "household member" so we can more easily share Kindle books. It doesn't cost me anything extra.

Both daughters are able to use the Prime shipping benefit. For free streaming of video or music, they sign in using my login id

DH doesn't use an Amazon account. If he finds something he wants to buy, I order it for him.

I don't know anything about Amazon's credit card, but I added DW to my "household" long ago and she shares all my Prime benefits.

One adult household member is free. I don't know how they handle children, but that is a different option.

You can go to:
Your Account > Households > Manage Your Household
to see the status and add DW if she's not already there.

Since we have fully integrated finances, we just buy everything using the young wife's account.

Thanks, all, for the replies. I did take a peek at the form for adding a 2nd adult to the household but didn't input any info pending your wisdom. I didn't see anyone else listed there but I don't know if that would should there yet until I started filling in the form. Since it appears that it doesn't cost more to add the 2nd adult, I give that a try today.

Perhaps a hint........DW told me she found a partial solution. Using the older Kindle she was able to view the video she wanted , but not with the iPad. I know the Kindle is registered to me so perhaps Amazon thinks I am viewing the video even tho , presumably, DW logs in using her own info . Maybe we're all somewhat confused, including Amazon, because they seem to have modified their Prime to limit sharing with too many other adults since the initial Prime.

We just use one login in our house. I guess technically I am the prime member but it isn't an issue since DH just uses the same login as I use when he does something on Amazon.

That's what we do. If DW wants something I order it for her.

Scratch one household.

I just canceled my Amazon Prime. I ran out of video that made it worthwhile.

1)does it cost more to add the second adult to the household? No, a second adult living the the same household is free.

With or without Prime, you can add household members to share your Kindle books (family sharing), music, etc. (Family Sharing). If I were you, I'd get her a Amazon VISA card, add her to the Prime membership, and set up family sharing. You should be good to go, and she should be able to do everything you can with your Prime membership.

If either you or the second adult to be added to your Prime Household has left another household within within the last 6 months, then you will have to wait until the 6 months passes before you are allowed to add them to your Prime household...

If either adult leaves a Household, both adults will be unable to join another Household for 180 days. However, you may rejoin a Household with the same person at any time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201945490

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused about my situation. Apparently according to Amazon, I'm the Prime Member and when getting the 5% rewards from the Amazon Prime Store Card (Synchrony Bank) , only I can sign up for that. Yet DW can order merchandise and get it shipped via 2 day Prime.

She also sampled some kind of Prime video but when she wanted to see more, it wasn't allowed. Amazon says if I add DW to the household, she should be able to accomplish that.

Questions:
1)does it cost more to add the second adult to the household? Amazon says no but because of some initial confusion, confirmation would be useful.
2)What is her status now? She gets the Prime shipping benefits but she is not
a household member?
3)Does that thing about the video sound like it will be fixed if DW is added to
household?

My understanding of this whole situation is probably not very good so please feel free to clarify.

DH and I are setup as a household on Amazon and we have the Amazon Prime credit card from Chase.

1) There is no charge to add a person to your household.

2) Amazon allowed people to share shipping benefits before they created the whole household concept. I wonder if you might have shared those with her sometime in the past and she's still grandfathered in to that old plan.

3) Yes, I think the video thing will be fixed for her on all devices if she is officially part of your household.
edit: I have to partially take this back. DH just told me that he has to login as me if he wants to download prime videos, but he thinks he can stream them under his own login.

4) You didn't ask this, but I think she'll also get the 5% reward on her Amazon purchases using your Store card if she's in your household. DH's and my purchases both get 5% on our Amazon credit card account.

I don't think there's really any downside to having a household except for the minor annoyance of shared content showing up in each other's libraries. The other household member will automatically see all your Kindle books, music, purchased videos, etc unless you specifically hide them. This annoys DH somewhat because we don't read the same stuff and I have a lot more books that clutter up his list and he can never remember how to hide them himself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom