Amazon offering new prime benefit One medical

badatmath

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
From the FAQ:

"Prime members can now add a One Medical membership to Prime for only $9 per month (or $99 annually), and additional family members (up to five additional family members) for an additional $6 per month per family member (or $66 annually for each family member).

One Medical memberships cover 24/7 on-demand virtual care through the One Medical app at no extra cost, including video chats with licensed providers within minutes and an easy in-app “Treat Me Now” feature that lets you get fast care for common concerns such as cold and flu, skin issues, allergies, and more. Virtual care is available nationally."

https://www.aboutamazon.com/news/retail/one-medical-amazon-prime-benefit

Anyone going to try this? Just curious. I don't even have Prime so not me. . .

Last edited:
Anyone going to try this? Just curious. I don't even have Prime so not me. . .

I don't have Prime, either. It might be handy as a stand-alone but that's $9.99/month on top of the Prime membership, which I deliberately have not gotten because it just sucks you into Amazon World. I've got a friend with a very bad Amazon habit- he buys every electronic gadget and cat toy, feeder, etc. that they show him.

Really, I'm not sure how much it would help me. I MIGHT get to an UrgentCare once a year for a sinus infection or poison ivy infestation and Medicare pays for those. My other doc consultations tend to be routine screenings- mammogram, colonoscopy, etc. or yearly visits with my cardiologist. I don't think it would add much.

I AM a prime guy and don't feel inclined to use it at all. My regular doctor/medical system as some sort of video visits. I don't understand who'd want to use them or, really, how they can get away with diagnosing anybody with it. How on earth can they diagnose and treat a rash, a cold, flu, broken bone or sprain on a video conference call? Unless it's really just to tell people, go to the E.R. or Urgent care clinic. Well, that's what you'd have done anyway. And maybe send a prescription from an online visit.

The old TV show Emergency! did something like it over the radio but they had skilled medical types at the scene who can actually observed and palpate, and send sensor data to the printout at the ER. Here, it might be somebody wanting to know if it's just indigestion or a heart attack.

How on earth can they diagnose and treat a rash, a cold, flu, broken bone or sprain on a video conference call? Unless it's really just to tell people, go to the E.R. or Urgent care clinic. Well, that's what you'd have done anyway. And maybe send a prescription from an online visit.

Some people get the same thing regularly- sinus infections, UTIs, etc. If you're 99% sure what you have and you just need any old practitioner to write a prescription for what you already know will fix it, I could see this being useful.

Some people get the same thing regularly- sinus infections, UTIs, etc. If you're 99% sure what you have and you just need any old practitioner to write a prescription for what you already know will fix it, I could see this being useful.

My current ACA plan has Teladoc for a one time fee of about $50 so this could also be used if it's offered by your plan. I used this for a black legged tick bite that I knew I'd just needed a prescription for Doxycycline 200mg (2 days at 100mg) to taken within the first day or two of the bite to help keep Lyme Disease at bay. I mentioned to the doc that this was the recommended treatment and he agreed. Much easier and less expensive than trying to get in to see my PCP quickly. I'm sure I'll have to use this again, there are lots of ticks here in CT.

No, I would not add this on.
Kaiser already has so many online/phone/video options available to avoid needing to go to urgent care for many things. It is nice.

Back
Top Bottom