Any experience with Geico (auto, home, umbrella) ?

walkinwood

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
.. that you'd like to share?

I just compared what they would charge for Auto v/s what I'm paying and the difference is huge! I'm going to call my insurer to see what they can do to match, but am seriously considering a change.

Any feedback - good, bad or indifferent will be much appreciated.

I have Geico and everything has been great, but I haven't had a claim yet so......

We have had Geico for over 30 years for home, auto, and personal liability. We have never had any issues with auto claims, they have been very responsive. Inspections, repair estimates, and payments due us have been prompt. On 2 cases where our cars were damaged and we were not at fault they got the other company to reimburse our deductible without us having to do anything. Once when checking on something I mentioned ar kid being away at college, and the person asked "did you indicate that on your policy? We give you a discount for that", which I had totally missed.

We haven't had to make a homeowners claim, but once we thought we might we called and they were very helpful in explaining the procedure and any potential impact on our rates.

I'm with Geico but haven't had a claim. I switched over everything from Allstate as the rate for umbrella at Allstate was about twice as much as Geico. The other auto, home were also higher at Allstate.

I love their customer service. I had some minor hail damage and my claim was handled promptly and cheerfully. A++ My rate has been shopped and I cannot find a lower premium. Go for it.

Someone hit us in the grocery store parking lot a couple of weeks ago. When we came out of the store, she was calling her insurance company. It was Geico.

They were excellent. They called us right away, and they got our little bit of damage repaired very promptly.

I was very pleasantly surprised.

I switched from USAA to Geico years ago for a couple of years because the cost was low. A car ran a red light and into me at an intersection and the driver was cited by the police. Then Geico paid that driver's repairs. I won't do business with folks like that so I went back to USAA which has the best reputation in the industry. Geico can have their raggedy ol "lizard".

Cheers!

Someone hit us in the grocery store parking lot a couple of weeks ago. When we came out of the store, she was calling her insurance company. It was Geico.

They were excellent. They called us right away, and they got our little bit of damage repaired very promptly.

I was very pleasantly surprised.

Likewise... We were hit (our car was totaled) and the guy who hit us had Geico. Geico was excellent to work with and everything was handled promptly. There was no haggling or issue with the value of our car, or getting a rental car, or valuing the loss of time away from work due to the accident.

I checked out Geico and they didn't sell the home/auto/umbrella bundle in Michigan. I was looking for the "big" Berkshire shareholder discount.

I've had Geico for 20+ years. They've been pretty good.

I had Geico a long time ago... when I was a teen, early 20s... on my first claim (which cost $45) they dropped me...

Never went back and never will ...

I have Progressive and they have been great... also cheaper than anybody else that I have tried...

Last edited:
All good things to say here as well. I have been using Geico for over a decade now. Had two claims in that time period, both not our fault. Customer service was beyond reproach in every relevant way. In one case (a rear-end incident), I delivered my car to be repaired on a Wednesday afternoon to a body shop of their designation, and I picked it up, looking like new, that Friday. I was extremely impressed about how efficiently and professionally they handled the situation. The fees are also decent for our area (a high risk one, unfortunately).

We've had our car and umbrella insurance with Geico for more than 10 years (their prices on homeowners in Texas were not competitive last time we checked). We've had a few claims and all were handled very well with excellent and speedy service. We actually found out that DS had been in a fender bender because the other driver (who was at fault) also had Geico and they called us to arrange for the repairs before he even had a chance to let us know what happened.

Last edited:
I switched from USAA to Geico years ago for a couple of years because the cost was low. A car ran a red light and into me at an intersection and the driver was cited by the police. Then Geico paid that driver's repairs. I won't do business with folks like that so I went back to USAA which has the best reputation in the industry. Geico can have their raggedy ol "lizard".

Cheers!

It's a rare insurance company that voluntarily pays a claim in which their client is not liable.

They have been fine for us as well. We pay about $1200yr I think for full coverage on a Subaru Forester and umbrella on house/property. My wife is British as well which I thought might jack up the car insurance.....it certainly would if I was over there.

Been a customer for 13 years. I've had two claims both paid promptly with no hassle. They've always been responsive to request, just called them yesterday for replacement insurance cards and quote for a new car.

Prices have always been the cheapest I've found.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your comments. Looks like most of you have had very positive experiences. I'll update you on what we decide to do with auto, home & umbrella insurance.

Switched to Geico a few years ago and no problems so far. Wanted to do homeowners with them but the transferred me to Travellers. They have been problamatic. Large increases in policy cost occur every year for several years running. I am looking for homeowners insurance again. I live in PA if you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Switched from Allstate, after many years, to GEICO, about 5 yrs ago. Only claim filed was last year for son's hail damage claim on his Corolla...around $2500. No haggling, they just sent he/I a check. Son didn't get the damage fixed (car is 2003). No complaints thus far. I only have auto insurance with them for now (3 Toyotas).

I decided to switch from State Farm after many years (and my dad even more before that) because they were charging too much.

I called GEICO but the salesman was so sleazy (think '70s blacksploitation films), I was turned off big time.

I settled on Amica and have had them for auto/home since 2006. 2 claims, no hassle, I'm happy with them.

Back
Top Bottom